Worth it to still apply MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PencilWise

Reaction score
I was wondering if by now it is too late to apply this cycle for MD? I have already submitted for all my state MD schools, several DO schools, and a bunch of OOS friendly private schools but I still have a bunch of secondaries left. I am a first time, traditional ORM NY applicant and I have secondaries left for these schools:

Albany Medical College
Medical College of Wisconsin
Temple
VCU
Rosalind
George Washington
Rutgers RWJ
Quinnipiac
Vermont Larner
Oakland
Wake Forest

I was wondering if there are some schools on this list that are way too low yield for me and not worth applying to at this point in the cycle? I did not apply to any top or research heavy schools and will be glad to receive any MD/DO acceptance. My stats are 4.0/511, ~1700 clinical hours with direct patient interactions (1300 paid work combined in clinic and hospital, 400 combined volunteering in hospital and rehab home), 400 hours chem research with no pubs or posters, 200 hours food bank comm service with underserved in my community, 2 semesters of TA experience, no institutional actions, 4 decent to strong LORs including three profs (2 science, 1 non-science) and the MD I currently work for. So far I have 3 DO II (including one of my top choices local to me), 0 MD II. All complete from mid August - September. I also have some unfinished DO secondaries, I was wondering if it is okay to complete those like October-November?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering if by now it is too late to apply this cycle for MD? I have already submitted for all my state MD schools, several DO schools, and a bunch of OOS friendly private schools but I still have a bunch of secondaries left. I am a first time, traditional ORM NY applicant and I have secondaries left for these schools:

Albany Medical College
Medical College of Wisconsin
Temple
VCU
Rosalind
George Washington
Rutgers RWJ
Quinnipiac
Vermont Larner
Oakland
Wake Forest

I was wondering if there are some schools on this list that are way too low yield for me and not worth applying to at this point in the cycle? I did not apply to any top or research heavy schools and will be glad to receive any MD/DO acceptance. My stats are 4.0/511, ~1700 clinical hours with direct patient interactions (1300 paid work combined in clinic and hospital, 400 combined volunteering in hospital and rehab home), 400 hours chem research with no pubs or posters, 200 hours food bank comm service with underserved in my community, 2 semesters of TA experience, no institutional actions, 4 decent to strong LORs including three profs (2 science, 1 non-science) and the MD I currently work for. So far I have 3 DO II (including one of my top choices local to me), 0 MD II. All complete from mid August - September. I also have some unfinished DO secondaries, I was wondering if it is okay to complete those like October-November?
If any, try Albany, Rutgers, U VM, Netter

You also have more time for DO

If any, try Albany, Rutgers, U VM, Netter

You also have more time for DO
Thanks Goro. Are there any DO schools that it’s not worth submitting for anymore? The ones I have left are CCOM, AZCOM, ATSU-Kirksville, LMU-DCOM, PCOM, Alabama, NSU. The interviews I have so far are NYIT, LECOM-Elmira, and LECOM-B. I also applied to TouroCOM-Harlem/Middletown but the supplemental is still stuck in processing.