Is it too early for me to take the test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beautyinthecurl123

Reaction score
Hi, so with all this extra time I have because of classes now online, I've been able to study for the MCAT's a lot more. If tests are still scheduled later this fall. I want to be able to take it this year and get it out of the way. However, I am only a college freshman right now. is it too early to take the test/ will my score expire?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so with all this extra time I have because of classes now online, I've been able to study for the MCAT's a lot more. If tests are still scheduled later this fall. I want to be able to take it this year and get it out of the way. However, I am only a college freshman right now. is it too early to take the test/ will my score expire?

Generally yes!!
It all depends on your sciences background and ability to study by yourself for all subjects tested..,
Your score is good for three years if you can build strong application!
I recommend you wait till the end of your sophomore year at least.

Reactions: 1 user
You could take it now, and your score would be accepted if you were to apply at the end of your junior year. However, if things don't work out, and you have to reapply, that score would no longer be accepted at many medical schools. I would strongly recommend against taking now, and waiting at least until you have Biochem.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't force it just because the test is shortened a little bit this year. Teaching yourself basically 12 full- semester courses over a couple months while also tailoring yourself to handle the MCATS logical thinking ability seems nearly impossible unless you are a GENIUS.

n=1, but I have been studying for this exam for two years after taking all the pre reqs, the exam is a beast that shouldn't be forced. That being said I will be the first to admit that I am no genius, and am just your typical dumb jock.

Being a freshman, If you went nuts this year and have taken the general bios/ general chems/ general physics and have grasped all the concepts it may be doable! It is based off how comfortable you are with the topics. But DO NOT force it just because the test is shortened and score a 485, because that score will stick with you (I guess technically it MAY expire by ur app time?).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t recommend taking the test until after you take biochemistry as well as some research methods class that make you analyze scientific articles. However, with all the time you have, it wouldn’t hurt to start studying and doing content reviews. If you can afford it, buy the Kaplan 7-book review and go over them this summer and your sophomore year. Supplement any materials you haven’t learned yet by watching KA videos.