Is it too early for Update letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocket_9890

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just looking for some advice as to when and if we should start sending update letters to schools. I think that it doesn't hurt, especially if you have something meaningful to mention, I am just wondering on timing. I know that this is the beginning of the cycle, but I mean rejections have already started going out anyways, I was wondering what you all think is an appropriate time to start sending them.

Also, for those of you who have, can you explain the process? If a school does not outright say "no update letters accepted" does that generally mean it is okay to send them? or do you call the Admissions office?

And is it through email or if the school has an update tab on the application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if I started my job that I said I mentioned in my applications but had yet to start it them? Now that I have actually begun the job I know more about my responsibilities and such.

Do you really the that the Admissions dean will scream out to his/her secretary "we have to invite this kid!!!!!? They just started a new job"!!!!!

????

Hi everyone!

Just looking for some advice as to when and if we should start sending update letters to schools. I think that it doesn't hurt, especially if you have something meaningful to mention, I am just wondering on timing. I know that this is the beginning of the cycle, but I mean rejections have already started going out anyways, I was wondering what you all think is an appropriate time to start sending them.

Also, for those of you who have, can you explain the process? If a school does not outright say "no update letters accepted" does that generally mean it is okay to send them? or do you call the Admissions office?

And is it through email or if the school has an update tab on the application?

Thanks!
What if I started my job that I said I mentioned in my applications but had yet to start it them? Now that I have actually begun the job I know more about my responsibilities and such.

what about pub submissions? ... necessary to wait for a journal acceptance? (I don't plan on updating soon, I am just curious for later in cycle)

You could write a note in crayon, send it to Nature, and truthfully say on an app or update "submitted to Nature".

Publications or in press are what counts.
what about pub submissions? ... necessary to wait for a journal acceptance? (I don't plan on updating soon, I am just curious for later in cycle)

Reactions: 2 users
Would you consider a promotion from "Research Assistant" to "Program Coordinator" a significant update?

I was thinking of sending an update to a school that I've already interviewed at, but should I hold off sending this update to the other schools (interview not attended yet or no II)?

Thanks!

No,

Very few items are worth an update letter: most can wait for interview.

Some items that would be worthy are:

Paper accepted for publication
Invitation to present at conference
Winning a worthy award
Successful completion of some major project or event (eg summer research at NIH)
semester's worth of great grades
Thank you!

Would you say that I shouldn't even update the school that I've interviewed at already?

What would you tell them?
I was going to inform them about the extensive new responsibilities I've been given. Specifically, I am now dealing directly with patient referrals and their triage for the entire public health department from the provider's, which is something I was never doing before.