Is it too late for me to submit secondaries to DO schools and actually have a chance of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lopero3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a reapplicant a Lot of which has to do with me not applying to enough schools last year. I have already submitted to MD schools but haven't heard anything yet, I have my AACOMAS submitted and verified and just need to add schools.

Is it too late in the DO app season to submit secondaries and have a realistic chance of getting in? sgpa 3.64, MCAT 515(2nd try), worked as ed scribe so have many shadowing hours. Don't currently have do shadow letter but am trying to get one, I was thinking of submitting and updating my app with it once I get it. Also have good leadership and work experience.

Which specific schools do u think I would have the best chance of getting into?

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. It is not late for secondaries.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. It is not late for secondaries.

What do u guys think about not having a DO letter when I apply?

I heard you can even submit primaries up to late November?

Reactions: 1 users
What do u guys think about not having a DO letter when I apply?

Many of the schools highly recommend having one, while some even require one. So like Faha has said, make sure you look up the schools. I’d recommend trying to shadow a DO so you have something to bring up in an interview specific to osteopathic medicine.

I heard you can even submit primaries up to late November?

What I heard is it really depends on your stats. Someone with competitive DO stats (3.5gpa/505+MCAT) would be alright submitting primary around November. But for lower stat applicants (3.2gpa/500MCAT) it starts to get dicey. Althought @Goro would probably be better suited to advise.

Reactions: 1 user
What I heard is it really depends on your stats. Someone with competitive DO stats (3.5gpa/505+MCAT) would be alright submitting primary around November. But for lower stat applicants (3.2gpa/500MCAT) it starts to get dicey. Althought @Goro would probably be better suited to advise.
Lower stat applicant will still do fine int he process, especially with the newer schools

Reactions: 1 user
Lower stat applicant will still do fine int he process, especially with the newer schools
Goro, in your school and for the average do you think I would have a chance of getting in if I applied by Dec 10th?

Goro, in your school and for the average do you think I would have a chance of getting in if I applied by Dec 10th?
Sending in your primary app? Now? By the time you get your secondaries turned around, I'd estimate that earliest you'd get an II would be Feb, so you'd be interviewing in late march or April, and we get very picky by then. However, we'd like your stats!

Sending in your primary app? Now? By the time you get your secondaries turned around, I'd estimate that earliest you'd get an II would be Feb, so you'd be interviewing in late march or April, and we get very picky by then. However, we'd like your stats!

It would be submitting secondaries, I have all the secondaries but haven't gotten a chance to submit them due to financial reasons. But I will definitely be able to submit them between now and Dec. 10.

If I were to submit on or before Dec 10th, when do you think I would potentially get an II and are my chances now significantly lowered of getting in?

It would be submitting secondaries, I have all the secondaries but haven't gotten a chance to submit them due to financial reasons. But I will definitely be able to submit them between now and Dec. 10.

If I were to submit on or before Dec 10th, when do you think I would potentially get an II and are my chances now significantly lowered of getting in?
Chances of getting an interview invite would be high,. What might happen is that you get wait-listed but awkward at the high likelihood of getting pulled on the waitlist come June

I am in the same situation as OP. Any insight on when I’d hear back on II’s if submitting secondaries now?

I am in the same situation as OP. Any insight on when I’d hear back on II’s if submitting secondaries now?

From now until April. You are now applying late, chances of getting an interview go up if your stats are really good (Like DO really good Ie 3.6+/508+. If you are average to below average it might be best to wait until June.

From now until April. You are now applying late, chances of getting an interview go up if your stats are really good (Like DO really good Ie 3.6+/508+. If you are average to below average it might be best to wait until June.

how quick to people hear back this time of year after submitting primary/secondary? asking for friend w/ high gpa, high mcat.