Is it too late for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cincysooner17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to six MD schools, (5 public and one private). I have a 3.8 GPA (3.73 BCPM, 3.9 AO) with a 508 MCAT (128,123,129,128). I have shadowed numerous physicians and currently work a full-time job as a microbiologist while also volunteering as an EMT. I had originally intended to submit my primary back in June but I have been putting it off and now I am worried that it may be too late. I am currently trying to have everything submitted by this Friday (August 10th, 2018). All of my LORs and Transcripts have already been sent and marked as received by AAMC, just need to finish personal statement and Work/Activities sections. Please let me know what my chances are. I graduated in May 2017 and this is my first time applying.

p.s. - if anyone would be willing to give me feedback or advice on what to write for my work/activities section, I would also really appreciate that. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your application is late, but you should really consider upping your school list. Only six schools can really limit your chances of gaining an acceptance. Protect your yield. Check out some other What Are My Chances posts and post what schools you are applying to. A lot of the adcoms on here are really great about giving input on other schools worth considering depending on your profile. When you say 5 public schools, these are all your *in-state* public schools, right? Are we talking Florida, Texas, NY, or CA?
I have certainly considered adding more to the list. I am an NC resident and am applying to NC state schools as well as Oklahoma (my alma mater). Do you really not think it is too late? I will definitely investigate other schools worth applying to as luckily, application fee costs are not an issue at this time. Also, is my 123 on CARS a major red flag? I seriously studied for the MCAT and still could not master CARS when exam time arrived.

I am applying to six MD schools, (5 public and one private). I have a 3.8 GPA (3.73 BCPM, 3.9 AO) with a 508 MCAT (128,123,129,128). I have shadowed numerous physicians and currently work a full-time job as a microbiologist while also volunteering as an EMT. I had originally intended to submit my primary back in June but I have been putting it off and now I am worried that it may be too late. I am currently trying to have everything submitted by this Friday (August 10th, 2018). All of my LORs and Transcripts have already been sent and marked as received by AAMC, just need to finish personal statement and Work/Activities sections. Please let me know what my chances are. I graduated in May 2017 and this is my first time applying.

p.s. - if anyone would be willing to give me feedback or advice on what to write for my work/activities section, I would also really appreciate that. Thanks guys!
With a 508 MCAT score, you need to have DO schools on your list. And the DO Cycle is longer so you can start applying now.

Reactions: 1 user