Is it too late for someone like me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobie

When in doubt, open another pharmacy school
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Its been a long time since I have visited this forum. I thought this part of my life was over. However, I can no longer deny my desires to regain my license as a pharmacist. I know that people will "flame" me with what I did and that's okay. I guess I am a great of example of "what can happen to anyone" if not careful.

Here's my story;

In 2012, I was involved in a serious motorcycle accident on my way home. A lady didn't see me and pulled-out in front of me. I became a nice hood-ornament for a few seconds before being thrown to the ground WWE style. Among the long-list of injuries was, concussion, whiplash, broken arm, severe torn ligaments in shoulders, broken back.

After a few surgeries and countless hours of physical therapy, I was still not even close to 100% healthy. My doctor was closely following me, but all that was happening was my pain medications were getting stronger and stronger. It eventually had me in its clutches. I was lost, but thought I had it under control. I eventually crossed the line I thought I'd never cross. I started taking from the pharmacy.

It all came crashing down after passing out one day in the pharmacy. I don't even remember. All I remember is waking up in the hospital. I was questioned about the pills in my pockets and why I tested positive for medications I didn't have a prescription for (no, never did I once do an 'illegal' drug). I had so many lies out, that I just broke down and told the truth. I was convicted of stealing medications and lost my license for 2 years.

I have been clean and sober for 31 months now. I attend AA, and am a sponsor. I feel a strong desire and longing to get back to the profession I really loved. I was thinking about becoming a consultant for nursing homes or even treatment centers but stay away from traditional retail pharmacies.

I am not sure what kind of responses I am looking for. Maybe my story will help someone out there know that there is help available if you just reach out and grab it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello all,

Its been a long time since I have visited this forum. I thought this part of my life was over. However, I can no longer deny my desires to regain my license as a pharmacist. I know that people will "flame" me with what I did and that's okay. I guess I am a great of example of "what can happen to anyone" if not careful.

Here's my story;

In 2012, I was involved in a serious motorcycle accident on my way home. A lady didn't see me and pulled-out in front of me. I became a nice hood-ornament for a few seconds before being thrown to the ground WWE style. Among the long-list of injuries was, concussion, whiplash, broken arm, severe torn ligaments in shoulders, broken back.

After a few surgeries and countless hours of physical therapy, I was still not even close to 100% healthy. My doctor was closely following me, but all that was happening was my pain medications were getting stronger and stronger. It eventually had me in its clutches. I was lost, but thought I had it under control. I eventually crossed the line I thought I'd never cross. I started taking from the pharmacy.

It all came crashing down after passing out one day in the pharmacy. I don't even remember. All I remember is waking up in the hospital. I was questioned about the pills in my pockets and why I tested positive for medications I didn't have a prescription for (no, never did I once do an 'illegal' drug). I had so many lies out, that I just broke down and told the truth. I was convicted of stealing medications and lost my license for 2 years.

I have been clean and sober for 31 months now. I attend AA, and am a sponsor. I feel a strong desire and longing to get back to the profession I really loved. I was thinking about becoming a consultant for nursing homes or even treatment centers but stay away from traditional retail pharmacies.

I am not sure what kind of responses I am looking for. Maybe my story will help someone out there know that there is help available if you just reach out and grab it.

anybody that flames someone trying to make better of their life has issues. You know you made mistakes - you owned up to them - and this is a perfect example of how bad stuff happens to someone - and then the downward spiral happens.

As far as jobs that could be good/without temptation - you mentioned one - the consultant jobs, but also look at PBM's, etc. A local company who manages a bunch of medicaid contracts actually used to employ multiple pharmacists who were in similar situations as you - and wanted to avoid temptation. Sometimes I think a hospital job, even though there are a LOT of controlled substances, who be good - depending on where you work - but the security is so tight, hopefully that would keep you from temptation.

Whatever happens, good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all,

Here's my story;

Honestly, a professor I learned a great deal from and respect greatly had a similar experience.

I honestly didn't know how to feel at first, but the guy's clinical skills and passion for pharmacy spoke for themselves.

I would encourage you to specialize and find a way to stand out.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Here's my story;

Go for it...people make mistakes. I feel that if you're passionate about your work...people will see it. You can definitely use your experience to help out patients and others with similar issues. Maybe start slow and do PRN at a hospital and slowly evolve it into something more clinical.

Reactions: 1 users
No, it's not too late.

There are many working pharmacists (and technicians) who are recovering from drug abuse--even in traditional pharmacy situations. There is every reason to think that you could successfully return to work as a pharmacist, especially since you have a strong support system behind you.

It's a lifelong matter, and for this issue, it's not too late. Call yourself blessed that you didn't harm or kill a patient during this and start over. It won't be fresh, but at least you have a clean practice conscience. As the others noted, there are plenty of jobs within the profession that are quite doable, even teaching.

(On the other hand, I personally am judgmental when someone's substance abuse gets someone else killed or irreparably harmed (vehicular homicide, surgical mistakes, etc.). It's a whole other issue if that sort of problem harms someone else.)

First off, congrats on 31 months OP, you've come a long way from where you were. I agree with the others as well and think you can thrive and excel in pharmacy again.

I also think that you have great points to show that you are serious and deserve another chance. Especially in your particular situation where you have IMO the most legitimate reason for the situation you were thrusted upon, it's not like you were a drug seeker due to psychological issues that lead you to medically self treat yourself but from a serious injury and over-prescribing.

I would even go as far as starting with speaking to students/colleagues about your story and perhaps giving your insights and recommendations for how the profession can learn from this. This has a lot of possibilities if you have trouble finding traditional work.

Good luck OP and keep fighting the good fight. I really hope that everything works out for you and that you can find your place again in the profession. As well as help to destigmatize addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't think it's too late. Consultation/PBM/speciality are all good options. A lot of mail order LTC have seperate workflow for controlled substances too. I doubt an employer is going to put you in a risky situation and even if faced with that option you shouldn't hesitate to turn it down in my opinion.

Obviously you couldn't have done anything more than you have in terms of "redeeming" yourself. 31 months is a long way, just have to remember than whether you are 1 month clean or 20 years clean those demons are still in your head. My point is simply not to become complacent, don't let your guard down.

Great story of triumph.
I have nothing to add but just congratulate you on overcoming the battle and looking to get back on your feet.

I know in Arizona there is a PAPA program for situations just like this. I'm a P1 and we learned about it last week during one of the presentations they gave our class. I'm not sure what state you are in, but there is probably something similar.

OP, it's not too late! Talk to your state's board and see what they can do for you. You'll definitely need a lot of CE (how much will depend on where you live and how long your license has been inactive), but this is totally doable. Good luck and keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just to add on top of the others, it is definitely not too late. I worked under a pharmacist who was in almost your exact same situation, except back in the 90s. He was abusing, got caught at work with drugs that weren't his. His lost his license for about 6 months, but after talking with the board he was able to get it back by agreeing to re-taking all exams and his license was on probation for 5 years. He had to submit a ton of other stuff, like weekly drug tests plus randoms, plus some other restrictions like he couldn't oversee interns or own a pharmacy... I imagine it was incredibly difficult to do. But he kept his job that he initially lost and is one of the best pharmacists I've worked with.

Talk with your board, I'm sure you can work something out.

Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE:

Wanted to let you all know that I talked with the board and and the people in charge of the recovery program for my state. I have submitted my application, and other paper work to get my license back! We will see what they say in a few weeks!

Reactions: 7 users
You can do it and be back as a great pharmacist , I worked with a pharmacist in North Carolina about one and half hour from charlotte who hated blacks , gays ( Iam not a black person or gay but I respect all and every body as they are) and asked me to fill controls early and was very abusive and nasty person not only that he ultered the Cll logs to cover his mistake but a lot more I reported him to pharmacy supervisor and board of pharmacy but as far as I know nothing was really done to him that is the real problem I would say but in your case let me tell you what Jesus said WHO WITHOUT A SIN THROUH HER WITH A STONE and you know the rest WE ALL MAKW MISTAKES

Dude there is a pharmacist in tx out there who stole controls to pay for hooker and strippers. He still practices. I think you could come back.

UPDATE:

Wanted to let you all know that I talked with the board and and the people in charge of the recovery program for my state. I have submitted my application, and other paper work to get my license back! We will see what they say in a few weeks!

Cheers and good luck

UPDATE Part 2;

Just heard back yesterday. Reinstated license. Just need to get off the insurance exclusion list and i'll be good to go. Thanks all for the support.

Reactions: 6 users