Is it too late to apply for DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crieka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, all the threads about DO schools are excellent. Thanks so much for the info. I'm in the process of completing my secondaries for MD programs, but I'm not sure if I'll be accepted any where. Recently, I thought about DO schools and they are very feasible based on my academic record as well as my personal interests. Anyhow, my question is: is it worth a shot to apply for DO school now ? would I be less competitive?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

crieka said:
First of all, all the threads about DO schools are excellent. Thanks so much for the info. I'm in the process of completing my secondaries for MD programs, but I'm not sure if I'll be accepted any where. Recently, I thought about DO schools and they are very feasible based on my academic record as well as my personal interests. Anyhow, my question is: is it worth a shot to apply for DO school now ? would I be less competitive?

Thanks

It is getting later in the cycle, but you're still fine! Most schools deadlines are in March, I believe. Not too sure though, I'm a new applicant myself! :D

crieka said:

Thanks

You always have a shot with DO schools...this is not too late in the cycle, but you should get your stuff in now if you are seriously considering it. The sooner the better...that goes for procrastinators too.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is absolutely NOT too late to apply DO. I know of many who have and were accepted just fine. Besides, you won't really know until you try. Just apply and see where it goes. Then you can decide whether you want to apply next year instead. Imagine if you just didn't apply this year but WOULD have been accepted. You'd be putting yourself a year behind for nothing!

Still plenty of time to apply but you need to hurry. Some of us have been interviewing for a couple of months now and many of us have been accepted already so hurry. Another thing, don't consider DO schools as a backup plan. When you go to interview, they will eat you alive. You really need to love oteopathic medicine to survive the process. Make sure you know why you want to be a DO and be able to explain it to the, sometimes pushy, addmisions commitee. Best of luck. :luck: