is it too late to apply for fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.pinks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm a bit late in the game, but wondering if it's too late to apply right now. some schools have late deadlines but how does that affect my chances?

I've taken the gre and started a sophas but wondering if it's worth applying.

if so what schools have programs that begin in the spring of 2019?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar dilemma to you a couple years ago and decided to wait for the next fall cycle. I don't regret it. You can look at SOPHAS to figure out which programs have spring term starts if you want to try for January 2019, but IIRC there are very few top programs that do. Pitt is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

I would recommend against applying now for the same reasons @rosemary_ gave-- the schools that still have spots open are unlikely to be strong programs that align with specific interests, and your chances for any scholarships or funding aside from loans are basically 0.

Reactions: 2 users
regardless of funding, what about just the shot of being admitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
regardless of funding, what about just the shot of being admitted?
If a school has rolling admissions (like Tulane does, for example), then you probably still stand a decent shot at admission. But I have to agree with previous posters that you're better pff waiting, because you will open up a lot more doors for yourself if you wait till next year, and bexause grad school is not a decision to be entered into lightly. In ten years, waiting one more year won't make a world of difference to your overall career, but having gone to a school you chose carefully and that aligns with your interests and goals will.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are considering UK schools, they seem to have much later deadlines than US schools.

If you are eligible for funding (US citizen/PR) and you are seeking funding then it is best to wait for the next cycle.

But if you are not a US student and/or not seeking funding then I would suggest you take a chance and apply based on where your profile may have a chance at regardless of the fact that it is too late into the cycle.

There are schools with late deadlines/rolling admissions for some MPH programs. Here are some schools that I had looked into and applications can still be sent to. There may be more programs out there with open admissions that I haven't listed below. So do check SOPHAS.

Tufts - 15/4
Cincinatti - 1/4 to 1/8 depending on concentration
Texas A&M - 1/5
WU - Rolling
Boston - Rolling
Brown uni - Rolling
Buffalo - 15/7 (US) 1/4 (Intl)
LLU - 1/4 to 1/8 depending on concentration
Tulane - Rolling
Icahn - 1/6
Rutgers - 1/5
Minnesota - 1/5 to 1/8 depending on concentration
ETSU - 1/6 (US) 1/5 (Intl)
Thomas Jefferson - Rolling
Emory - 15/7

I talked with a few schools that are still taking applications.

Take a look at

Dartmouth - April 15th
Rutgers - May 15th
I think University of North Texas.

They are on Sophas

Good luck!