Is it too late to apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zeds dead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community.

I took the DAT recently and got a pretty competitive score:

PA 21 / QR 19 / RC 22 / BIO 22 / GC 22 / OC 23 / TS 22 / AA 22

GPA wise:

Overall: 3.80 / Science: 3.77 (Graduated with BS in Mol. Biology)

My first choice school and the one closest to me, UMKC, had a deadline of Oct. 1. So I assumed that I'd just have to wait to the next rotation. However, I noticed some schools have later deadlines - ex. Louisville Dec. 15.

I jumped on this dental track a little late and so I also have only ~10 shadowing hours. Of course, I am planning on more in the near future. Also, I do not have my LOR written but the people are chosen and aware.

Would I still have a good chance or even a moderate chance of grabbing an interview applying to schools this late and sprinting to the finish? I don't have a big problem with waiting til next year since that was basically the plan anyhow.

Any advice?? --- Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your state school is your top choice, right? Anything OOS is going to be MUCH more expensive.

Plus, you don't have nearly enough shadowing hours. I'd wait it out. It's late (which you already know), and you don't even have the tiniest shot at your state school since the deadline is past. Keep improving your application and apply in the first batch next year.

Congrats on the DAT scores! :)

Yeah, I figured as much. And yes, I can get in-state tuition at UMKC. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDN community.

I took the DAT recently and got a pretty competitive score:

PA 21 / QR 19 / RC 22 / BIO 22 / GC 22 / OC 23 / TS 22 / AA 22

GPA wise:

Overall: 3.80 / Science: 3.77 (Graduated with BS in Mol. Biology)

My first choice school and the one closest to me, UMKC, had a deadline of Oct. 1. So I assumed that I'd just have to wait to the next rotation. However, I noticed some schools have later deadlines - ex. Louisville Dec. 15.

I jumped on this dental track a little late and so I also have only ~10 shadowing hours. Of course, I am planning on more in the near future. Also, I do not have my LOR written but the people are chosen and aware.

Would I still have a good chance or even a moderate chance of grabbing an interview applying to schools this late and sprinting to the finish? I don't have a big problem with waiting til next year since that was basically the plan anyhow.

Any advice?? --- Thanks in advance!

When I interviewed at Case Western, I met a guy who applied WAY late, like in January only to Case Western, had an interview in March, and got accepted that week with a scholarship offer from the school. If you really want to apply, go for it. Plus, you might get some good experience for next year's application cycle if you don't get in.

Be careful with those shadowing hours. You have great stats, but 10 hours of shadowing won't be deemed enough by some schools. For example, Tufts has a minimum of 40 from a general dentist. If you do manage to land an interview, there's a chance you will be grilled for your low shadowing hours.

If I were in your situation, I would wait until the next cycle and then apply with more shadowing hours (and more dental related volunteer activities). If you do that, chances of getting an acceptance from your state school or any other school will be a lot higher.