Is it true that if you do kypho your malpractice preimum goes way up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a couple pain docs here in NYC, and apparently if you do kyphos, your malpractice premium goes way up? True?

And if so, do you know roughly by how much? Does it go way up if you do pumps as well?

I heard here that pain docs in NYC pay roughly $35K/year for malpractice. True?

Thx

Members don't see this ad.

In NY you pay based on your base specialty, so you pay anesthesiology rates. $35K for an occurrence based policy sounds about right. I pay about $12K for a claims based policy in Maine. Kypho doesn't seem to have affected my rates.

Sometimes people give excuses for why they don't do something instead of just saying they don't know how to.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was talking to a couple pain docs here in NYC, and apparently if you do kyphos, your malpractice premium goes way up? True?

And if so, do you know roughly by how much? Does it go way up if you do pumps as well?

I heard here that pain docs in NYC pay roughly $35K/year for malpractice. True?

Thx
It totally depends on the insurance company - there are no set rules. They vary wildly based on different things. For some it's cervical procedures, others it's RFA, SCS, you name it. Prices also vary tremendously based on these things and your region.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for responses.

My pain doc said that also in general, pain premiums are >> anesthesia. Is this also true? (Outside of NY, where its not based on base specialty)

When I was applying for malpractice, the representative told me that a higher ratio of anesthesia to pain (as someone who is doing both) on the application is cheaper from a premium standpoint (80:20 pain:anesthesia more expensive than 60:40 etc). But I can believe that this varies depending on the state...

So what are typical ballpark malpractice rates for (PM&R-based) physicians who do 100% outpatient pain with $1/$3 million limits? Any recommendations for good insurance companies that provide malpractice insurance for pain physicians?

So what are typical ballpark malpractice rates for (PM&R-based) physicians who do 100% outpatient pain with $1/$3 million limits? Any recommendations for good insurance companies that provide malpractice insurance for pain physicians?

Will vary by state. If you are starting out (like me) it should start out lower and increase over 3-4 years. I will be in the Southwest. Starts at about $5500 and increases about $3000 a year to a "max" of 16k.

Hasn't increased my rates based on any procedure I do. In my state (in SouthEast) they just go by your specialty designations, and don't pick it apart by procedure.