Is it true that people who get into vet schools have around 3.7~4.0 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:rolleyes:

not sure you will be any less insufferable as a veterinarian.... people do not enjoy being approached with condescension in any profession.... seeing as you already patronise your peers - it is pretty clear to predict how you might interact with someone you see on a lower intellectual level than you...

and adding smileys to every line of your post does not take away your overall tone of superiority :)

:thumbup::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

not sure you will be any less insufferable as a veterinarian.... people do not enjoy being approached with condescension in any profession.... seeing as you already patronise your peers - it is pretty clear to predict how you might interact with someone you see on a lower intellectual level than you...

and adding smileys to every line of your post does not take away your overall tone of superiority :)

this.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Completely agree. :thumbup:

Aww, I don't think hygeboerht meant anything mean by the post, much less seemed insufferable. Just made a good point that in my opinion should be voiced-that often people who attain grad degrees, especially medical ones, can be arrogant and mistake their education as a way to identify themselves, or find too much self worth from an externally validated source like a medical degree. It's good he/she is figuring that out about him/herself now (sorry for pronoun confusion) rather than never take the time to evaluate such flaws and try to be a better person and doctor.

And I :love: :)

My GPA is not the norm, either. But if you want to know about my hours (all 4000 of them), or my trip to Central America, or my amazing LORs, you just let me know.

That's a chunk of hours! That's equivalent to 20 hours a week for four years with no break. Were you working as a tech or something? Color me impressed.

Hours were one of my biggest challenges, since I only had 10 months from decision to go into vet med until first (failed) application.

It sounds like you really set yourself apart from the crowd.

Yeah, you're right WTF, many of us on the vet side of things are too touchy. :)

I don't mind ignorance or digs as much as I used to. I actually think catching flak from med folks is probably good for keeping my ego in check. I mean, one of the (minor) reasons I prefer vet med is because I'd be completely insufferable as a physician. :shudder: I need to trim down my unfortunate tendency toward arrogance and superciliousness, not encourage it! :)

Also, for jojo: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arguous :)

Finding time while in school to get hours was definitely challenging, that much I'll agree on. If I only had to take classes and get As, it wouldn't have been half as difficult.

At least you are willing to admit your own arrogance as opposed to others. Self awareness is a wonderful thing.

That's a chunk of hours! That's equivalent to 20 hours a week for four years with no break. Were you working as a tech or something? Color me impressed.

Hours were one of my biggest challenges, since I only had 10 months from decision to go into vet med until first (failed) application.

It sounds like you really set yourself apart from the crowd.

Actually, it was 5129 hours. I'm forgetting!

It's post #115 in this thread, for anyone curious:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=776924

I am counting my hours at the diagnostic lab even though they didn't involve animals, just their bodily fluids and excrement. :)

I am counting my hours at the diagnostic lab even though they didn't involve animals, just their bodily fluids and excrement. :)

I like your thinking! Bodily fluids...ya think I could count my time spent assuaging my pain with DQ as animal hours?

'Cause that would really have helped...

;)

Still, 5000+ hours...dang.

Yeah, I heard a vague 'whoosh' sound as it went flying over my head. Ah well.

These were notably less palatable fluids, at that. Says the girl who would get an unlabeled tube and wonder, "Icteric serum, or pee?" Guess how I found out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could have used a dipstick or run a chem on it, but I'd usually just have a sniff and see if it smelled like pee.

Sometimes it didn't smell any but it still was, but if it did - yeah, not serum.

I also got to call a clinic about their submission of a chinchilla in a bag... and I got to feel the mysterious trash bag in a cooler to see what sort of 'sample' was in there.

And I had one moment of bitchiness that I'm not entirely proud of where I scanned and faxed a copy of bile acid tubes to a clinic to prove that, NO the tech DIDN'T label them (and I don't even know why I would lie about that).

jeez, guys... sorry that sarcasm didn't come through on the interwebz... but thanks for those of you who actually know me that stood up for me...

yeah, I think the GPA portion of admissions for most people is much easier to do than to do the volunteering efforts to prove that you A) know what you are getting into and B) prove you are dedicated to the field and not just doing what you are suppose to do, and so I think that the vet schools seem to have gotten the balance a little better than the med schools...

but the flaming received was quite entertaining... as was the spelling lesson...

jeez, guys... sorry that sarcasm didn't come through on the interwebz... but thanks for those of you who actually know me that stood up for me...

yeah, I think the GPA portion of admissions for most people is much easier to do than to do the volunteering efforts to prove that you A) know what you are getting into and B) prove you are dedicated to the field and not just doing what you are suppose to do, and so I think that the vet schools seem to have gotten the balance a little better than the med schools...

but the flaming received was quite entertaining... as was the spelling lesson...

Sorry about the flaming, man. My bad. :oops: A lot of pre-vet / vet students tend to get talked down to for our chosen career path, often by pre-med students / med students / MD's. It's a sore spot for us.

Sorry about the flaming, man. My bad. :oops: A lot of pre-vet / vet students tend to get talked down to for our chosen career path, often by pre-med students / med students / MD's. It's a sore spot for us.

its understandable. my post didn't come off exactly as I meant it... From the WW games and the lounge, I've become familiar with several pre-vets, vet students, and vets, and see you guys working harder than many of the med students, and more entertaining to converse with, so nothing but love and respect. Plus, I have a cat, and I don't want word out that I'm an anti-vetttite, or something might happen to cute little tonbi next time he goes in for a "well checkup" :eek:

That reminds me.....we had a VERY beefy young man in my vet school class who was focusing on large animal medicine. Really nice guy, and very big and strong.

When we went out to do palpations at the dairy (mostly Holsteins, but a few wee Jerseys), we'd be all like "Hey Justin! You want the Jersey, right?"

And in a stone-cold, heavily Southern-accented monotone, he'd cross his huge arms and go "I don't do Jerseys"

:laugh:

Ahh...it was funnier IRL now that I look at it. I lawled.

Last edited:
My GPA wasn't great coming in, 3.1 or something cumulative, 2.9 prereq, 3.91 graduate, 3.65ish last 45 hours. Think I had 10K+ hours of experience counting research and a high GRE score tho. I actually have a pretty decent GPA in vet school for the amount of time that I actually put into studying and caring (which isn't really much these days). Took me twice to get in but I applied dumb and had no confidence this first time. I only applied to one school, did get an interview but I sort of boffed it. Second time I went in to the interview more prepared and confident and got in.

Certainly many people in my class seem to be the 3.7-4.0 freak-out-about-a-B+ type, but there are definitely some of us who aren't and we're much cooler. 8)

Certainly many people in my class seem to be the 3.7-4.0 freak-out-about-a-B+ type, but there are definitely some of us who aren't and we're much cooler. 8)

Some of us progress (degress?)... First Semester I freaked out over anything less than an A. Second Semester I freaked out over anything less than a B. Third and Fourth Semesters I really only get concerned if I'm rolling in with less than a 75% or so and might actually be at risk of getting a D. So far I've ducked any Ds and only pulled a couple Cs, but ... meh .... I've become a pretty straight-B student. It's not worth the stress to me to be a better student. Especially when developing clinical skill is so much on my shoulders and so little a part of the actual degree.

Some of us progress (degress?)... First Semester I freaked out over anything less than an A. Second Semester I freaked out over anything less than a B. Third and Fourth Semesters I really only get concerned if I'm rolling in with less than a 75% or so and might actually be at risk of getting a D. So far I've ducked any Ds and only pulled a couple Cs, but ... meh .... I've become a pretty straight-B student. It's not worth the stress to me to be a better student. Especially when developing clinical skill is so much on my shoulders and so little a part of the actual degree.

most med schools have progressed (degressed?) to pass/fail, so that P really does = MD...

when I was a student, my school was still Honors (A), High Pass (B), Pass (C), or Fail (less than 70%). And people freaked out about grades so much, mainly cause there is an honor society in medical school (AOA), which takes the top 15% of the class or so, and it really helps your residency application and chances, so people still gunned for that...

I am not sure what your expectations are out of vet school but vet school is about science. Hard core science for that matter. If you really do not like science, maybe you should think a little more and get more experience before consider becoming a vet. Now, if you are just scared, that's another story. Science is not hard if it is understood properly. It is interesting, fascinating and changes your view of the world. You have to work hard at it because it is "learned science", and most of the time, not intuitive. I suggest taking a few science classes, volunteering at a vet's office so you get a feel for what it is really like. Don't get confused by the appearance of something, make sure that is what you really want.

Ok so genuine question here:

My GPA is the high end of the 3.7-4.0 range. But I promise I only freaked a little over my B+ (I had major major senioritis that semester and just couldn't bring myself to care about my friggin' plant course). Anyway, I hate hate hate it when people ask my GPA in real life because I don't want to tell them. I'm afraid of being classified as a someone who is super-competitive in classes (not true), someone who looks down on others with lower GPAs (definitely not true), someone who has trouble focusing on activities other than school (ok maybe a little true)...in other words, the dreaded "gunner".

It's kind of like my age...I was young when I started college and hated when people found out early in our friendship. Because then I became identified "that young chick" rather than the person that I really am. The best friendships I ever had happened when I knew someone for a whole semester before they found out how young I was. I'm afraid of getting to vet school and being labelled and categorized as a gunner, out for myself, before people really get the chance to know me.

And we all have our weaknesses. I applied with just a hair over 400 vet hours (only 250 of which were in a real vet clinic) but 2000 animal handling hours. I only decided last July that I wanted to be a vet. I was worried that the admissions committee would be like "this is just a whim, try again next year".

Ok so my real question is...do you guys pick the gunners out by personality or by GPA? Can a high-GPAer ever really be considered "cool"?

I will admit to being initially prejudicial to someone with a GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range, though I still was more interested in the person. As a moderate GPA student (~3.6), I felt judged in the same way by others that didn't care at all about school or were in the lower 3's, so I understand where you're coming from. I had lots of friends with GPAs all over the place and I always tried to look past any pre-conceived judgements of "gunners" and "slackers" to find friendship. Sometimes I couldn't stand some people on both ends of the spectrum and sometimes we would be the best of friends. Though when it came to group projects, it was sometimes more difficult to work with my friends for this reason.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that not everyone will cut someone off for having a high GPA. There are people that care more about the other amazing aspects of who you are and will turn out to be good friends. You just haven't stumbled across them yet. :)

My GPA is the high end of the 3.7-4.0 range. But I promise I only freaked a little over my B+ (I had major major senioritis that semester and just couldn't bring myself to care about my friggin' plant course). Anyway, I hate hate hate it when people ask my GPA in real life because I don't want to tell them. I'm afraid of being classified as a someone who is super-competitive in classes (not true), someone who looks down on others with lower GPAs (definitely not true), someone who has trouble focusing on activities other than school (ok maybe a little true)...in other words, the dreaded "gunner".

It's kind of like my age...I was young when I started college and hated when people found out early in our friendship. Because then I became identified "that young chick" rather than the person that I really am. The best friendships I ever had happened when I knew someone for a whole semester before they found out how young I was. I'm afraid of getting to vet school and being labelled and categorized as a gunner, out for myself, before people really get the chance to know me.

And we all have our weaknesses. I applied with just a hair over 400 vet hours (only 250 of which were in a real vet clinic) but 2000 animal handling hours. I only decided last July that I wanted to be a vet. I was worried that the admissions committee would be like "this is just a whim, try again next year".

Ok so my real question is...do you guys pick the gunners out by personality or by GPA? Can a high-GPAer ever really be considered "cool"?

I have no idea what GPA other people in my class had from undergrad and honestly I don't care. I can tell who the "gunners" are based on their attitudes and personalities. And just because someone is a "gunner", doesn't make them a bad person, it just makes it hard to deal with them at school or when reviewing for exams. I tend to avoid them during exam times and in the practical classes at school; vet school is hard enough and having one (or a few people) person constantly trying to be the center of attention or obnoxiously asking questions or getting mad when they aren't right when asked a question but you get it right is just unbearable.

Eh, I'm a high GPA person too. I've always figured that if someone judges you just for a number, they're probably not worth being your friend anyway.

I think the simplest answer is, don't be a jerk (and you don't sound like one). Regardless of how high (or perhaps low) someone's GPA is, people aren't going to like them if they act arrogant, condescending, etc.

Just be nice, and 2.0 or 4.0, it's no other person's business unless you choose to share. That number shouldn't define you as a person, unless you let it I guess. I wouldn't.

I am not sure what your expectations are out of vet school but vet school is about science. Hard core science for that matter.

Eh. We're talking semantics, I guess, but I don't think of vet school as "hard core science". That's stuff that the PhDs do. That's stuff the researchers over in locked labs with biohazard warnings on the door do. The stuff we do in vet school is much more basic, simple science - there's just a crap-ton of it.

I pick out gunners by two things. First, they're the ones who are loudly complaining about how awful a test was .... and then you find out they got a 95 and you want to punch them. Second, they're the ones who make comments like (true comment): "I think getting a C means you didn't understand the material well enough." Pretty sure the person who said that pissed off a lot of people because of the implication that a whole bunch of us aren't going to be competent vets.

I pick out gunners by two things. First, they're the ones who are loudly complaining about how awful a test was .... and then you find out they got a 95 and you want to punch them. Second, they're the ones who make comments like (true comment): "I think getting a C means you didn't understand the material well enough." Pretty sure the person who said that pissed off a lot of people because of the implication that a whole bunch of us aren't going to be competent vets.

Then my high 50's (equivalent of a C+ here) means I am going to make a horrid vet. Oh wells. Vet school has definitely moved me from an A/B student to a C+/B student (or what is equivalent of a C/B here in the UK).

What do they call the person who graduated at the bottom of their vet (med) school class?

"Doctor"

just keep that in mind.

yeah, i need to wear my AOA pin, otherwise no one knows that I was a gunner :laugh:

I was told by one that I must have been top of my class and this other doctor she saw definitely wasn't. I waited til I was in the back to start laughing. I believe she used the term "top 10 percent"

Keep in mind that this goes both ways. I was always a low GPA kid, and I learned pretty quickly that the best course of action was to either lie about my GPA or to avoid those types of discussions entirely. We had quite a few gunners in the pre-vet club and in my pre-reqs, and whenever they found out what my actual GPA was I was automatically dismissed as a "slacker". In reality, I did more work than most of them - while most of the gunners just listened to the lecture and absorbed the material, I had to constantly take notes, do the assigned readings, work on practice problems, etc just to get the same grades as they did. Being a student and "book learning" do not come naturally to me, and it took me the first couple years of college to figure out my own learning style and find ways of studying effectively. My GPA reflects that. Does that make me less qualified than the person who can just absorb material by sitting in a classroom and doesn't need to study? I don't think it does.

My point is, it's not the numbers that matter so much as your attitude. There's nothing wrong with being a high GPA student. But if you act arrogant, treat other people as if they're inferior because their grades are lower than yours, rub your high GPA in everyone's faces, and are generally insufferable then yes, you are a gunner. Likewise, if you constantly whine and complain about your low GPA but do nothing to improve, expect others to do your work for you and spend 8 hours a day on Facebook, then you are probably a slacker. It's much more about attitude and how you treat other people than grades, IMO.

You will be far from alone in that range. Your undergrad GPA won't have as much to do with anything as your eventual vet school GPA will. And if you don't talk about your grades loudly everywhere, you won't be "that person" anyway.

You will be far from alone in that range. Your undergrad GPA won't have as much to do with anything as your eventual vet school GPA will. And if you don't talk about your grades loudly everywhere, you won't be "that person" anyway.

PLEASE don't be the person who loudly talks about how they got the highest grade on the test... again. Seriously, no one gives a ****.

Most of my friends in vet school do better on tests than me. It isn't a problem because they don't rub it in.

This. I was one of those in undergrad with a pretty high GPA. Now, I'm not. My GPA is not bad by any means, but it is not what it used to be. Undergrad grades don't mean much once you're in vet school. It doesn't even mean you're a gunner if you have the best grades in the class, we've got a few students with perfect grades and I would not call them gunners. Being a gunner is all about attitude either towards grades or studying with other people. One of my friends is a gunner. Learning comes REALLY easy to her. She doesn't care about grades because she's not hoping for an internship or residency and is going to work at the practice she teched at. However, she will tell you that what you are doing doesn't work, even if it does for you or you need help because you're not doing well. If you still want to care about grades in vet school (like want as close to a 4.0 as possible) be my guest. I've relaxed so much more now that I don't have to have perfect grades. Sure these are grades I would have freaked out about, but I'm still doing well and learning what I need to. I just get to spend more time relaxing and with my family than before.

The only people who that know about my grades are my parents and my boyfriend (and whoever my mom decides to blab to:rolleyes:). I really hate talking about grades, it makes me SUPER uncomfortable. Even when professors ask me, "what is your grade in my class?", I usually just say "I'm not sure" because I just hate talking about it. Grades don't matter to me anymore. I am one of those people who advocate passing. Just passing. If you do well in vet school, don't rub it in your classmates' faces, you'll lose friends pretty quickly. I am very thankful that we have very little to none of that in my class. I always tell myself "there is always someone better than you" to keep myself in check. And then when you get thrown into clinics or a practice for an externship, that will definitely hit you;)

Thanks everyone, you all have made me feel much better! I'm definitely preparing myself for not doing as well in vet school.

And bragging loudly about getting the high score on a test? Ew who does that? That's just gross.

Thanks everyone, you all have made me feel much better! I'm definitely preparing myself for not doing as well in vet school.

And bragging loudly about getting the high score on a test? Ew who does that? That's just gross.

Not just bragging loudly, but at all. Keep it to yourself.

And bragging loudly about getting the high score on a test? Ewe who does that? That's just groce.

i didn't get good grades cause it mattered to patient care (it actually probably doesn't, but I digress). I got good grades to prove that I am better than everyone else. If I don't brag about it, how can anyone else know that I am better than them?

[/SARCASM]

did I get it right this time?

I prefer to think of it as "focusing on what's important" rather than "not doing well." :)

I'm spending my time learning to be a halfway decent clinician. I have no interest in being a great academic at the cost of being a decent clinician. Some people are capable of both. Not me. :)

Sometimes grades seem so...arbitrary. I'd rather really LEARN the material than get a good grade.

Grades are mostly determined by test-taking skills in many of my classes. If you can reverse-engineer correct answers from other questions, you have a better shot at that A, but you probably don't know your **** as well as the person who cried blood studying. I have mad respect for that.

It's my policy to try not to talk about grades. I kept track of mine like a hawk while I was putting together my pre-reqs, but now I just take 'em as they come.

:/

I prefer to think of it as "focusing on what's important" rather than "not doing well." :)

I'm spending my time learning to be a halfway decent clinician. I have no interest in being a great academic at the cost of being a decent clinician. Some people are capable of both. Not me. :)

I personally think UF does a TERRIBLE job at testing the important stuff. I would say most of us are learning how to ace tests, instead of what's important the rest of our careers. I try to learn the material, to KNOW the material so I can be a good veterinarian. UF wants you to be a good 40 question MC (100% of your grade) test taker on the most arbitrary CRAP that you will NEVER see, ever again in your life. It pisses me off.

(This is probably what most first years are like, hoping 2nd year is better :xf: )

Anyway, I try to just focus on myself, learn what is important for my future of helping living beings, and take the grades that come along with it. People forget that your grades will most likely sky rocket in clinics if you actually LEARNED the material. The important part of SCHOOL.

/end rant. Sorry

Last edited: