Is it true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizjunk

Hammie the squirrel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did a search and nothing came up with the subject that "is it true that the hardest part is getting into dentistry school"? I'm sure it is for every other profession but once you get in, it's just a breeze if you have the basics, right? I know that board exam might be a killer too. So is it true?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not the quality of class/lab in dental school that makes it difficult, it's the quantity. Classes you may take in undergrad like biochem for example will be way more in depth than dental school for the most part. The only problem is, you are taking that biochem w/ other classes/labs where it's pretty much 8-5. I know I took enough credits in dental school in 2 years to have graduated with the bio major that took 4 during undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lizjunk said:
So I did a search and nothing came up with the subject that "is it true that the hardest part is getting into dentistry school"? I'm sure it is for every other profession but once you get in, it's just a breeze if you have the basics, right? I know that board exam might be a killer too. So is it true?
Getting into dental school is tough, and getting out isn't much easier.

aphistis said:
Getting into dental school is tough, and getting out isn't much easier.

AMEN..

Its funny how so many of these young kids plan on specializing.

Boy will they be suprised!

getting through dental school so far has been way harder than getting in was.

capisce? said:
It's not the quality of class/lab in dental school that makes it difficult, it's the quantity. Classes you may take in undergrad like biochem for example will be way more in depth than dental school for the most part. The only problem is, you are taking that biochem w/ other classes/labs where it's pretty much 8-5. I know I took enough credits in dental school in 2 years to have graduated with the bio major that took 4 during undergrad.

Hit the nail square on the head! College courses were much harder than any dental school course. In college, you can space your credits out. In dental school, you cannot space them out. That's what makes it difficult.

I use to think getting in was tough, but getting through it while maintaining your sanity is a far greater feat!

lizjunk said:
"is it true that the hardest part is getting into dentistry school"? once you get in, it's just a breeze if you have the basics, right?

"That is 100%, unequivocally, uncontrovertably, irrefutably false!" - Johnny Cochran

lizjunk said:

Who knows. It was hard to get into WVU. 1,200 people applied for 8 out-of-state positions and I got one of them.

So yea, that was hard.

However, you could get sick for a few days and this could easily cause you to fail a test which would require you to not only repeat that course but to repeat the entire year more likely and thats some harsh pressure.

Ive seen kids have their friends & family help them to class when they were deathly sick because they were so scared to miss.

Also, for example, when I took my gross anatomy course, there is 7 books with this class and over 300 pages of assigned reading each night.

Now if you were to go home and start reading and fall asleep, man that would put you so far behind.

Dental school is hell and anyone who says otherwise is either a liar or looking for attention.

I would like to add this however, WVU prepares a student for practice right out of school unlike so many other DDS programs. Therefore, our school may be somewhat harder than schools such as Indiana or UNC, etc...

WVUdental said:
I would like to add this however, WVU prepares a student for practice right out of school unlike so many other DDS programs. Therefore, our school may be somewhat harder than schools such as Indiana or UNC, etc...
Give me a break. :rolleyes:

WVUdental said:

:rolleyes: Let me guess. New freshman? :laugh:

WVUdental said:

def a freshman :)... 300 pages of gross?? you actually read that crap? i would say max 100 pages

Members don't see this ad :)
lizjunk said:

although i'm only qualified to compare dental and medical school, I would venture to say that dental school is likely one of the most challenging 4 years of post graduate education. medical school is easier but boards are harder. In dental school, the combination of didactics and labs requires time management to the fullest degree. that being said, i've seen people coast through it, although with less than desirable numbers (i guess statistics are in the eye of the competitor)

WVUdental said:
Who knows. It was hard to get into WVU. 1,200 people applied for 8 out-of-state positions and I got one of them.

So yea, that was hard.

However, you could get sick for a few days and this could easily cause you to fail a test which would require you to not only repeat that course but to repeat the entire year more likely and thats some harsh pressure.

Ive seen kids have their friends & family help them to class when they were deathly sick because they were so scared to miss.

Also, for example, when I took my gross anatomy course, there is 7 books with this class and over 300 pages of assigned reading each night.

Now if you were to go home and start reading and fall asleep, man that would put you so far behind.

Dental school is hell and anyone who says otherwise is either a liar or looking for attention.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hang on... i gotta breathe... Ok... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You gotta be kidding? Wives bringing their husbands into school cause they were "scared" to miss a regular class? It looks like you're the one desperate for attention. Hang on... I got a few more in me... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dental school's really hard if you suck at time management or want to be in the top 5% of the class. Otherwise, if you put in a decent effort, you should be able to get through it. I would say it's worlds harder than getting in though. The application process was so long and drawn out, there was tons of time to get everything done.

WVUdental said:

Dude, you can almost go to any school in the country and be prepared to practice upon graduation...its up to the individual, not the school.

WVUdental said:

So yea, that was hard.

We're going to have to make this forum bigger to make room for your head...it seems to increase in size exponentially from one day to the next. Lets see...I'll make a safe assumption you have anatomy 3x per week. At 300 pages per night, lets say you take the course for 3 months...and even that is probably less than reality. So, at 900 pages a week, over 12 weeks, those books must be around 1500 pages a piece. That, or you are just special, and need to read the same 30 page anatomy clip ten times over in order to tell your elbow from your arse.

Dude, your in WV. I'll repeat that. You're in WV. You must get some pretty good training making F/Fs, huh. I can see it now.

WV Graduation Requirements:

crowns: 2
arches of full mouth exts on people who were born with "dem soft teef": 20
Arches of Removable: 200
Sheep to tag: 2
Cousins to marry: 1

Good work sport

capisce? said:
We're going to have to make this forum bigger to make room for your head...it seems to increase in size exponentially from one day to the next. Lets see...I'll make a safe assumption you have anatomy 3x per week. At 300 pages per night, lets say you take the course for 3 months...and even that is probably less than reality. So, at 900 pages a week, over 12 weeks, those books must be around 1500 pages a piece. That, or you are just special, and need to read the same 30 page anatomy clip ten times over in order to tell your elbow from your arse.

Dude, your in WV. I'll repeat that. You're in WV. You must get some pretty good training making F/Fs, huh. I can see it now.

WV Graduation Requirements:

crowns: 2
arches of full mouth exts on people who were born with "dem soft teef": 20
Arches of Removable: 200
Sheep to tag: 2
Cousins to marry: 1

Good work sport

Ha ha, tell your mother that the condom broke and to take the morning after pill.

I would like to add this however, WVU prepares a student for practice right out of school unlike so many other DDS programs. Therefore, our school may be somewhat harder than schools

Most Dental schools no longer prepare students to work on actual live patients directly out of school. All the 4 year DDS schools across the country are actually just prep schools until students can enter the elite WVU program and receive real training.

WVUdental said:

That is a ridiculous statement. UNC has a reputation for having a superb program. How unprofessional of you to bash other schools.

I don't know why you're reading 7 textbooks, at 300 pages a night for gross anatomy, but I think it's pretty safe to say that you might be overdoing it just a little bit. I don't think I even own that many books for the entire freshman curriculum.

Trookie said:
That is a ridiculous statement. UNC has a reputation for having a superb program. How unprofessional of you to bash other schools.

I don't know why you're reading 7 textbooks, at 300 pages a night for gross anatomy, but I think it's pretty safe to say that you might be overdoing it just a little bit. I don't think I even own that many books for the entire freshman curriculum.

when you make a statement like this I have to think that we have a better curriculum.

also, not bashing UNC, Im from NC, just decided to go to a better school (clinically).

call WVU and ask for their STUDENTS FACT SHEET. They have a number of states listed to which WVU students moved to and 100% passed the other state's boards.

That speaks greatly of the program here.

This is the dental forum, so most of us are already attending our respective dental schools. Why would we care enough about WVU to research it? Like I said before, how unprofessional of you to bash other schools. Why don't you run along and read one of your textbooks?

WVUdental said:
also, not bashing UNC, Im from NC, just decided to go to a better school (clinically).

I'd be curious as to what prompted you to make that assessment. Do you guys start getting hands-on experience w/ patients during the summer of 1st year in dental school like they do at UNC? Although it's only exam/prophy, I don't know of another dental school who gets in live clinic experience that quickly. Do you start full patient care and operative/fixed on live patients fall on 2nd year as they do at UNC? I doubt it.

I'm still not sure how the strict didactic standards you are held to equate to good clinical skills. You can read all you want about tx but until you sit down and do it, it doesn't mean squat.

capisce? said:
I'd be curious as to what prompted you to make that assessment. Do you guys start getting hands-on experience w/ patients during the summer of 1st year in dental school like they do at UNC? Although it's only exam/prophy, I don't know of another dental school who gets in live clinic experience that quickly. Do you start full patient care and operative/fixed on live patients fall on 2nd year as they do at UNC? I doubt it.

I'm still not sure how the strict didactic standards you are held to equate to good clinical skills. You can read all you want about tx but until you sit down and do it, it doesn't mean squat.

Rather that waste my time Ill give you this. WVU has had a 100% clinical passing rate several years in a row.

Dentists that have left WV and went to states such as NC and Florida have experienced a 100% board pass rate.

now unless UNC has a 100% pass rate, shut your little bitch mouth.

WVUdental said:
Rather that waste my time Ill give you this. WVU has had a 100% clinical passing rate several years in a row.

Dentists that have left WV and went to states such as NC and Florida have experienced a 100% board pass rate.

now unless UNC has a 100% pass rate, shut your little bitch mouth.

Nice post WVU. It's about as respectful as all of your other 50+ posts in the last 2 days. It's obvious that WVU is admitting some top quality students with that trash mouth of yours.

Gavin, get this guy out of here.

wow trookie.. show him how its done girl.!

now i have say vcu is the sh** everybody else sucks! jk

btw the unc curriculum does seem awsome, when do you guys have time to do all that stuff?? do you guys start 1st year a little earlier?

rocknightmare said:
wow trookie.. show him how its done girl.!

now i have say vcu is the sh** everybody else sucks! jk

btw the unc curriculum does seem awsome, when do you guys have time to do all that stuff?? do you guys start 1st year a little earlier?

Our curriculum is tough- they pack things in the first year pretty tightly and we don't have any summers off. I couldn't comment on if we start earlier, but I think it's probably on the early end of average (mid August).

UNC is a great school, though as you all have seen, there are lots of places to get a good dental education.

No, I thought it was way harder to get out of dental school. Our class load was intense, but the killer was patient requirements. You're just exhausted by the end.