Is it worth applying to an internship site when I don't meet the minimum hour requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spookerella

Reaction score
I am very interested in Mt Sinai's program but I won't have 600 hours by Nov 1st. I will probably have ~500 (at 400 now plus 120 assessment). Should I bother applying there? In general, is it worth applying to places where you fall short of these types of cut-off requirements?

thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I matched at a place where my hours were below what was "strongly recommended." I might apply to 1-2 like that if they were my dream sites, but that's just me.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are in the ballpark and would really like to go there, I'd apply. Applications aren't that expensive and its not like anyone is going to be mad at you for applying. Why not? I know multiple people who matched to places where they fell below the "minimum" hours.

Certainly it is more likely to happen if you are a strong candidate in other areas and the gap is small (i.e. someone with 20 publications and a grant applying to a research-heavy site with only 480 hours instead of 500). Rounding error. Some places may screen it out, but many won't care. Someone who falls way short and is borderline on all criteria...probably wouldn't bother.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are in the ballpark and would really like to go there, I'd apply. Applications aren't that expensive and its not like anyone is going to be mad at you for applying. Why not? I know multiple people who matched to places where they fell below the "minimum" hours.

Certainly it is more likely to happen if you are a strong candidate in other areas and the gap is small (i.e. someone with 20 publications and a grant applying to a research-heavy site with only 480 hours instead of 500). Rounding error. Some places may screen it out, but many won't care. Someone who falls way short and is borderline on all criteria...probably wouldn't bother.

I will have a combined total of over 650 but I realize that intervention and assessment are looked at separately, so I'm not sure that matters. It is a scientist-practitioner model internship. I have one first-authored pub, with two in progress on which I am not first author, and 6 presentations, so nothing exceptional there.

Thank you. As a secondary question, do you know if the DCT has access to all of a student's submitted applications through the APPI portal? My DCT has forbidden us from applying to more than 12 programs, but I would like to apply to at least 15. I'm wondering if I could do that without my DCT finding out.
I don't know what the DCT will or won't see, but deceit and subterfuge behind a supervisors back are VERY bad habits to get into at this point in your career. Think of the risks- you will need this DCT to sign of on stuff for graduation and licensure, and if you purposefully do something that s/he has "forbidden" you may not get that signature (and you may, in fact, be violating a rule of your training program, putting yourself at risk of formal disciplinary action). Is it really worth it for 3 more apps?

What the heck just happened with all the deleted responses in this thread? All my alarm bells are going off.

It'll depend on the site, quite frankly. Some will use hard cuts. Some won't. It will be hard to tell for sure from what you read. If its a dream site and you're close, ask yourself if the extra 35 bucks (or whatever it is now) is worth the investment for a potentially good outcome.

Thats my opinion.

Agree with the above post--it can vary from site to site, with some being hard cuts and others just being recommendations. I personally would recommend contacting the training director of the site to ask if they consider applications from folks who have fewer than the required or recommended hours. Could save you an unnecessary expense on the application if you know they won't review it, or save you extra stress if you know they will consider it.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the above post--it can vary from site to site, with some being hard cuts and others just being recommendations. I personally would recommend contacting the training director of the site to ask if they consider applications from folks who have fewer than the required or recommended hours. Could save you an unnecessary expense on the application if you know they won't review it, or save you extra stress if you know they will consider it.

Agree with Acronym Allergy. I contacted a couple sites last year where I didn’t hit the limit and was told that they filter out anybody below the limit and my application wouldn’t be seen. It’s my understanding that some sites are more flexible. Definitely contact the sites to find out!