Is it worth delaying DO applicationg for DO shadowing rec letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SonhosDaVida

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, so for one of my secondaries, I have to list the MD/DO rec letter. I won't be getting the DO rec till Sept/Oct. Would it be worth delaying my app until I get the DO rec letter?

I already have a MD rec letter. And I have shadowed a DO.
 
Nope. Having a DO LOR will always help, but not having one won't hurt.

You can always submit one later in the cycle.
Thank you @Goro. This is actually for my secondary. The secondary asks me to list the MD/DO I will obtain a rec letter from. Should I list the DO rec letter now and submit? I won't have the rec until 1 month or so. And honestly, not sure if it will be better than my MD rec. I scribed for the MD for years.

But I'm currently shadowing a DO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you @Goro. This is actually for my secondary. The secondary asks me to list the MD/DO I will obtain a rec letter from. Should I list the DO rec letter now and submit? I won't have the rec until 1 month or so. And honestly, not sure if it will be better than my MD rec. I scribed for the MD for years.

But I'm currently shadowing a DO.
Yes, go ahead and list it
 
Yes, go ahead and list it
so u would recommend getting the DO rec letter from someone I shadowed recently over the MD rec letter for someone whom I shadowed and knew for years?
I already have the MD rec submitted.
 
Last edited:
I didn't get a letter from the DO I shadowed bc I'd spent more time as a scribe with another doc. However I was able to discuss "the DO difference" at length in my essays due to my time shadowing the DO and I believe it was received well. I straight up asked him what "the DO difference" was and he explained very nicely.
 
Aren’t there DO schools that require a DO rec letter?
Yes, definitely. ARCOM in Arkansas for example. From their website (bolding for emphasis is theirs, directly from their website): Letter of Recommendation from a DO. A letter from an MD CANNOT be accepted in lieu of a DO letter.