Is it worth going to ASA for a med student with barely any money but with visa disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otherstuff12321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a 4th year med student in the US applying to anesthesiology who's AOA, 24X/25X and who'll need an H1B visa preferably (which is very hard to get).

I already have 8 anesthesia interview invites, including from a few of my top programs which do sponsor H1B, but invites have really slowed down in the past week and I was wondering if going to the ASA would be helpful to my application/interview process, especially as a non-citizen student who'll need a very-hard-to-get visa?

I would definitely enjoy the conference, but knowing a lot of it can be attended virtually makes it seem like it would not be worth the cost to attend in person (especially since I got some financial strain going on right now and the conference is on the other side of the country from me).

There just a major concern that I could miss out on interview invites from programs which sponsor H1B visas and I could end up screwing myself over if I don't go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.