Is it worth it in my case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellohelpwithfuture

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to apply to MD/PhD programs. I already have decided that I want a urology residency and female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery fellowship. I know this path will be a long road. I have talked to other residents and they said I could do research over my residency and fellowship yrs. I have a passion for research, but I think I like clinical over basic so maybe the MD/PhD program is not right for me? Plus I just obtained my MS. Maybe I can still do basic and clinical research along the way and I won't really need the PhD now that I know what I want to do. If I do the program, I may be done with all training by my mid 40's. But I still feel like I need the PhD because I want to study autoimmune diseases and the inflammatory response. I want to eventually open my own uro-gyn practice, while doing chronic pain research and clinical trials, with a focus on pelvic pain. Obtained my master's at a medical school and did chronic pain research and may get 2 publications (processing right now). I know where my heart is. Maybe finishing in my 40s won't be that bad?

timeline
MS
Gap year
(starting med school at 25 yrs old)
MD/PhD- 8-10yrs
uro residency- 6yrs
fellowship- 2-3yrs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A PhD is not needed for your goals. Your plans are more clinical than otherwise.