Is it worth it to go to a school I like less to do a PhD overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to do a PhD or Masters at a great school abroad. The Masters would take 2 years whereas the PhD would take 3. My preference is to do a PhD, however, my top choice school will only allow for a deferral for 2 years. Another school which I am less enthusiastic about would allow me to defer for 3 years which would allow me to pursue the PhD. Whether it is a PhD or Masters, the program will be in a clinical/surgery related field and I am potentially interested in surgery for residency.

Basically it boils down to how much would a PhD help later on for residency, even if I don't end up going into surgery, and is it worth going to a school that I liked less for it? I know that in the US it takes basically twice as long for a PhD so I am tempted to take advantage of this opportunity, especially since it is at a well known school.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I have the opportunity to do a PhD or Masters at a great school abroad. The Masters would take 2 years whereas the PhD would take 3. My preference is to do a PhD, however, my top choice school will only allow for a deferral for 2 years. Another school which I am less enthusiastic about would allow me to defer for 3 years which would allow me to pursue the PhD. Whether it is a PhD or Masters, the program will be in a clinical/surgery related field and I am potentially interested in surgery for residency.

Basically it boils down to how much would a PhD help later on for residency, even if I don't end up going into surgery, and is it worth going to a school that I liked less for it? I know that in the US it takes basically twice as long for a PhD so I am tempted to take advantage of this opportunity, especially since it is at a well known school.
As far as I know, having a Ph.D. doesn't really help for residency in general. Otherwise, the premed world would be running to MD/PhD programs.

As for a Ph.D., it often will take 6-7 years to complete a Ph.D. MD/PhD estimates at least 8-9 total years.

As far as I know, having a Ph.D. doesn't really help for residency in general. Otherwise, the premed world would be running to MD/PhD programs.

As for a Ph.D., it often will take 6-7 years to complete a Ph.D. MD/PhD estimates at least 8-9 total years.
Yeah I know that is how it is in the US. But as I mentioned this program takes 3 years, which is why taking advantage of this chance while I can is extra appealing to me, given the shorter time frame.

Members don't see this ad :)
Except the PhD. is 3 years plus 4 years of med school equals 7. Not a lot of difference really. Is it enough to delay your life? So why do you want to do it at all and why overseas? What exactly is the PhD in? You should really think about this before jumping on it. Talk to people who can help you decide is taking a3 year deferral is going to be beneficial to your residency application.

I would not do a PhD in hopes that it will help for residency.

I would do a PhD if you are very, very passionate about the subject matter and think that you want to be a physician-scientist in the future.

Reactions: 4 users
To note: I round up to the time to complete MSTP to 8-9 years because of the inefficiencies of Ph.D. completion. I know more MSTP's are staying longer than shorter. Current MSTP's can chime in if I'm wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
Except the PhD. is 3 years plus 4 years of med school equals 7. Not a lot of difference really. Is it enough to delay your life? So why do you want to do it at all and why overseas? What exactly is the PhD in? You should really think about this before jumping on it. Talk to people who can help you decide is taking a3 year deferral is going to be beneficial to your residency application.
I would not do a PhD in hopes that it will help for residency.

I would do a PhD if you are very, very passionate about the subject matter and think that you want to be a physician-scientist in the future.
Yes, BUT I am going to be going regardless at the very least for a masters. It is for a fellowship and a great opportunity no matter the field. So I will be there for at least two years for the masters and am wondering if it is worth tacking on an extra year to get the PhD instead. If I did the PhD it would be a research degree in surgery.

• Hmm
  • Okay...
I think the PhD is only worth it if your goal is to become a physician scientist and if you are planning on having a focused research career (whether that be as the PI of a lab or as a co-PI). If your interest is more in looking solid for residencies or for some extra academic chops, I'd stick with the masters degree, especially since you prefer the school that will only allow a 2 year deferral.

Last edited:
  • Love