Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsd2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many students on this forum are doing pre-pharm-->pharmD which allows them to begin working after 5 or 6 years. I'm wondering if it's worth it if I go the bachelor degree route which means spending more than 7 years in school.

Members don't see this ad.

If it is what you want to do, then yes, it is worth it. In the end I will have 9 years (5 undergrad and 4 Pharm).

do you work part-time or is it school the whole time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Durring my first 4 years of undergrad I worked part time (about 20-25 hours a week). In my 5th year, I worked full time (35-40 hours a week at 3 different jobs). I didn't decide on pharmacy until near the end of my 4th year. I had already finished all the prereqs (except Microeconomics) and my B.S. in biology. Since I couldn't get into Pharm school until Fall 2007, I took a 5th year in order to take microeconomics and to add a major in chemistry to my B.S.

I am going to get a B.S. in Animal Science. I was originally going the pre-veterinary route, and I would like to keep my options -- in the equine field -- open. I enjoy the classes I am taking, and I think it is good to earn a B.S. as well as a PharmD degree.. I will probably be spending 4 years in undergraduate work + 4 years in pharmacy school + 1 year residency.. So, I will be in school for 9 years total.

To me it was worth it. I'm someone who wants to finish things that I start and I started going for a BS, so I finished it. I found that it was helpful in my first year. I had a much better micro professor in undergrad than in Pharm school and I found that background to be very helpful. In fact it really set a solid groundwork for Infectious diseases and it's a specialty that I'd like to pursue further. I think it really depends on the person and how much you learn in undergrad. If you're just memorizing and not learning it might not be as beneficial to you.

thanks everyone for the posts! it seems that most of you don't really mind spending all those years in schools. I'm scared that I might get tired of school and just give up.

Anyways, I've done some research and came across other programs such as PharmD/MBA which will take 9 years and a special program for incoming students at UCSD PharmD/B.S. in Chemistry which will take 7 years.

I really like the PharmD/B.S. in Chemistry because not only will I be able to obtain a PharmD but I'll also be able to have a bachelor's which is good, but I've always wanted to have something related to business and came across USC's PharmD/MBA program...the downside is the 9 years..:( Any opinions? Thanks!

Bear with my ignorance but why would a PharmD/MBA be 9 years? 4 pharm +5 MBA? Doesn't an MBA take 2 years?

It's definitely worth it. Having a BS will make you more competitive for pharmacy school. Especially if you want to stay in California. Some schools in CA say don't bother applying unless you have or will get a bachelors.

does anyone have any background info or experience with these programs?
-PharmD/MBA
-PharmD/MPH

could i still work in a hospital setting before actually using my MBA or MPH? thanks!