Is it worth putting disadvantaged status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yhorm the Giant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this subject has been hit a lot, but what the hey, I'll throw my hat in here too. I grew up in a medically underserved community for sure. My town I grew up in from birth until 18 had a little under 1,000 people, just a small sheep farming town. Until I was 12 years old the only medical facility in my town was in a trailer home, and when I was 12 they constructed a very, very, very small clinic. Probably 1,800 sq ft. This facility was only open a few days a week. The next closest medical facility was about 25 minutes from our home (along with the closest stop light). Though I am now incredibly grateful for the medical staff working in a difficult location, it did not do anything to inspire me into thinking medicine was a good career choice, and it took me about 90 credits in college and until I was 24 to start down that path. Now I'm 28, over 200 credits and wonder why on earth I didn't want to even try this path before because it seems so obvious it's where I want to be. I wonder if putting information about that growing up without a positive medical mindset might shed light on my long and poor beginning college performance? Obviously not blaming it on growing up in that town, I was just a bum at that age honestly when I didn't know what to do with my life, but thoughts on if it's worth it or nah?

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't disadvantaged, but medically underserved.
That's what I had thought, but on the aamc application under what is considered disadvantaged status it listed medically underserved under one of the three categories I thought. It doesn't seem worth putting so I'll just leave it out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I like your description but AFAIK, (the nearest stoplight being 25 miles away made me smile) but when admissions peeps talk about "disadvantage" related to underserved communities, they might be thinking about 1) people who went without needed medical care because their community was underserved and 2) people who love their sleepy little town (or their urban ghetto) and want to go back there to practice. Of course, a town of 1,000 might be too small to support a primary care doc but I don't really know.

Reactions: 1 user
I like your description but AFAIK, (the nearest stoplight being 25 miles away made me smile) but when admissions peeps talk about "disadvantage" related to underserved communities, they might be thinking about 1) people who went without needed medical care because their community was underserved and 2) people who love their sleepy little town (or their urban ghetto) and want to go back there to practice. Of course, a town of 1,000 might be too small to support a primary care doc but I don't really know.
Ahhh that makes a lot of sense. Thank you. Perhaps I won't include it, I never was disadvantaged really as a result of not having adequate medical care, given the fact that we had a car and could go the 25 miles anywhere I'd need for x-rays or cultures or anything. And as much as I legitimately would love to go back to my sleepy little town, my wife certainly does not, no I am going to try and talk her into the smallest town I possibly can. And no, our Clinic has a PA three days a week and a doctor comes in two days a week, so it probably couldn't afford to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile