Is it worth spending money on books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snovella

FutureDPT87
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I start getting ready for my first year of PT school I was wondering if spending hundreds of dollars on books is actually worth it. I’ve heard from many current students they never really used their books as they would study off power points presentations given by their professors.
Should I just invest money on a really good anatomy atlas and call it a day?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask the class ahead of yours which books are worth buying, as some of your professors may assign reading or pull test questions from books. And buy them used. For anatomy, Atlas of Human Anatomy by Tillman is as good as Netter's, and much cheaper.

When I first started I avoided the text books but when you decide you want to become an expert PT then it is actually enjoyable to find a good one to read a little bit each morning before classes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ask the class ahead of yours which books are worth buying, as some of your professors may assign reading or pull test questions from books. And buy them used. For anatomy, Atlas of Human Anatomy by Tillman is as good as Netter's, and much cheaper.

This. Ask the upper class above you to see if they think textbooks would be worth it- they are the most reliable source. This is exactly what I did, and throughout my two years, the only book I bought was a worksheet book for a patient management and communications class. Definitely saves you money hopefully in the end.