Is it worth trying...??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiny.tinsa13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether or not to start the process to try to go into medicine. I never really considered it before, I always just assumed I wasn't smart enough, but it's kind of a bug that keeps coming back to me...

My undergrad is in Mechanical Engineering but my GPA is very poor (2.9), I went to West Point and just assumed I'd spend 20 years in the military (ha!). Anyway, I enjoy engineering, I love math but do NOT enjoy desk jobs...I don't enjoy science much because it's just memorizing a bunch of crap. I think I'd hate med school but enjoy being a doctor? I'm working on my Professional Engineer license now because I have some time, and I won't be out of the Army for another two years, but I think I need to start making headway on med school now if it's ever going to happen...

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts, maybe some tips on boosting my chances?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You are me from two years ago! Like you, I had:
2.9 GPA
Mechanical Engineering major
Years of work experience in the engineering field

Below is the post I made a few months ago after my MCAT score. It has my grade trend which is very important.
I did a year of postbac, did a bit above average on the MCAT, and I got in. Schools love veterans so you'll get bonus points for that, plus you'll have tons of life experience that 90% of applicants don't have. You'll need to spend a year or two (30-60 credits) on a postbac to get your GPA up to a 3.0+ and get a good grade trend going. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try my best to help!

DO - 3.16 cGPA 3.44 sGPA 505 MCAT

I'm debating whether or not to start the process to try to go into medicine. I never really considered it before, I always just assumed I wasn't smart enough, but it's kind of a bug that keeps coming back to me...

My undergrad is in Mechanical Engineering but my GPA is very poor (2.9), I went to West Point and just assumed I'd spend 20 years in the military (ha!). Anyway, I enjoy engineering, I love math but do NOT enjoy desk jobs...I don't enjoy science much because it's just memorizing a bunch of crap. I think I'd hate med school but enjoy being a doctor? I'm working on my Professional Engineer license now because I have some time, and I won't be out of the Army for another two years, but I think I need to start making headway on med school now if it's ever going to happen...

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts, maybe some tips on boosting my chances?
Thank you!

Not a heck of a lot more to add than the above. You need to complete the medical school prerequisites either on your own time (in what we call a Do-It-Yourself Post bacc) or through a formal post bacc program (expensive, but all put together for you ahead of time).

The 2.9 doesnt doom you if you do well in this post bacc (3.5+) and get a higher MCAT (513ish). Being a vet helps a lot too, adcoms love that.

Good luck OP and thanks for your service.

Thank you both, I feel a little less crazy! I think I'll give it a try, worst case scenario I don't get accepted and can still try for PhD program in engineering. But I'm excited now!!

Thank you again, best of luck in your careers!