Is it wrong not to be psyched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animalallergy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am excited to dissect a horse and actually to shove my hand up a cow's you know what (hey, if you got to do it, might as well have some humor). But i see all these posts about being so excited to go to vet school. yes i was excited when i got in, and sometimes i am excited to be moving far far away and living on my own etc etc. but is anyone, besides me, sometimes thinking "what the hell am i doing?" i mean, moving across the country away from my family, getting into debt, studying hours upon hours a day. honestly, i really am enjoying the fact that i am super bored this semester, able to take naps, able to not worry about anything on the weekend, and also not be thousands of dollars into debt. please, someone tell me i am not the only one.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 110% sure I'm doing the right thing, I'm not having doubts in those regards...even with the debt, etc.

BUT, I am worried about how well I'll do (grade-wise), the social interactions (being in a fishbowl with the same 90 people for 4 years), etc...

i understand not being 24/7 gung-ho. i've been concerned about finding a place to live, how i'm going to balance two careers once i get there, and about when i'm going to sleep. i'm going 36k in debt each year (for tuition alone), and i'm leaving my boyfriend and a house behind, 2500 miles away. i think it's rational to not be monomaniacal about it.

i understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
OT: LOVE the cat-looking-into-toilet avatar, TwoSoakers!!

I don't know if this counts, but lately I've been more afraid of screwing up at work at the AH. Like I guess it's setting in with me that in four years (or probably sooner in rotations) animals' lives will be in my hands. It's a little freaky. (Kinda like the first time I supervised a large number of people.)

Plus I called my mom today and she was crying about how I was going to have to go into debt and she felt like she and my father were responsible for that. I gently reminded her that I'm an adult and willing (if a little scared) to do this.

It's just a lot to take on. Don't let it overwhelm you right now. Refocus your energies into solving the problems you might have. If you're going far away, get an unlimited minutes plan on your phone. If you're afraid of not having a social life, organize "happy hours" on Fridays after class. If studying in a group helps you focus, find a group when you get there or talk to people on here that are going to your school. If you study alone, start thinking about what you're going to do at your breaks--a favorite book or taped TV show or movie, a snack, whatever. Just don't let it overwhelm you. Take it one thing at a time.

I think it's natural to have some uncertainty. I agree I don't doubt what I want to do. But currently stressing over moving, etc. I certainly have my what the hell have I gotten myself into moments. And the moments of good god how am I going to pay off these debts. I envision myself working at a hospital and living in my car so I can pay them off. ;) But then I come back to I'll figure it out. I've figured it all out before and I'll do it again - that's how I got to this point.

wasn't just looking!! i have to keep all the seats down now. his breath is bad enough!

Umm... The first time I was hit with the "oh no, now it's real, dear god I hope I can do this" about 2 weeks ago. I figured I was the only one so I never said anything...

Feelin' a little crazy here too. I mean what in the H-E-Double Hockey sticks was I thinking, I know my old body won't be able to take the all nighters anymore like I did when I was 19. Glad everyone else is getting a little case of cold feet too. I don't feel so alone now.

You're definitely not alone! My list of worries would absolutely overwhelm me if I sat down and reviewed them, so I won't. But I am having trouble sleeping, am breaking out in eczema, and have an upset and dramatic 16-year-old daughter to passify about moving.:scared:

So yeah, I'm stressed. I know this is what I want, but I'm scared.

Yeah, the fact that my aid [loans] award is about $18k shy of what I need (for the whole package of tuition/books/living/eating) is scary. I need to apply for an additional loan.

Then I remind myself that I've anticipated this debt for a long time now, "in case" I got in. And I know I've known vets who graduated with $200k+ debt, and they're alive and are eating at the very least...

I, too, probably won't be able to pull all-nighters or crazy day/night/wake/sleep schedules like I did before, because, hey, I'm no spring chicken like back then...

I've met and known and worked with alot of vets in 13 years of veterinary medicine. Without sounding like a snot, if some of them could do it (and did it), I know I can.

I'm still in. I'm not chickening out now!

Besides, I don't want to lose my $250 deposit! That's $250 bucks people! That's it! No staying home now! :lol:

It's so nice to read everyone's posts. I'm in the same boat. At first it was all excitement. Now I think more and more about all the things I'm going to miss out on with my friends (best friends since early high school, they are my stress relievers!). I know I'm going to miss my parents and the dog I grew up with is now reaching the end and I'm afraid to receive that phone call when I'm a 6.5 hour drive away and I won't be able to drop everything, run home and be there with her. Plus, am I smart enough? And I hate studying! Hate it! Why am I going to a school where you apparently study all the time! And the weather! It's cold there, and it snows, and its cloudy and the classroom is in the basement! I have SAD. It's not going to help anything. Really I think it's just because we've tried so hard to get in and ignore the more negatives. Now I'm realizing it's not gonna be some party. Scary, but I think we'll all make it (at least I hope!).

Members don't see this ad :)
I know how you all feel. In July i'm moving 10,000 miles away to Australia to start vet school and leaving my husband of five years and my two dogs of six years behind. Talk about a little anxiety! I'm a whole mixed bag of emotions. When I really start felling like I'm going to back out, I try and remind myself that I am in control and that if I get over there and I just can't do it, then I can still come home. If I didn't at least try, I'd be very dissappointed in myself.

I'm excited to be a vet. Not to go to vet school.

mochavet, is your husband planning to follow you eventually or will you spend the whole 4 years apart?

right now, i feel as though i'd rather be fishing than killing myself to learn anatomy next year...so yeah i know what you mean :)

i think for me its going to be like the transition from high school to college again...have to get over this stupid senioritis...have they invented a pill for that yet?

i think for me its going to be like the transition from high school to college again...have to get over this stupid senioritis...have they invented a pill for that yet?

Yeah, it's called adderall ;)

Shhh, you're not supposed to tell them what we really mean by vitamin A. :p

being in a fishbowl with the same 90 people for 4 years

that's one part i'm looking forward to the most... 108 people as nerdy as me:thumbup: :D

as far as the big transition... it's kinda scary when you've lived with your parents for 22 years! but i'm looking forward to school itself, classes and labs etc. i really feel young and underqualified to be "going to be a vet" though:laugh:

Critterfixer: We hope that he will be able to join me in February of next year. He's got a good job here and can only work 20 hours a week on my student visa there, and we are going to need the money. He has applied for a permanent work visa in Australia but he sent that in in February and they still haven't even confirmed that they have gotten it. The whole visa process can take anywhere from a year to three years. We're hopeing it's closer to a year. As for the dogs, I am desperately trying to find them new homes but am not having much luck. As anyone who has ever worked in a shelter knows, six year old large black house dogs don't find homes very easily. If anyone is looking for two great companions let me know. Even with all of this on my plate, I'm still very excited to finally be starting vet school:) . You do what you have to do, right?

Wow, that would be tough. I'm looking at having my husband stay in our current location for one semester, maybe 2, but we only live 3.5 hours from Knoxville. I do think what you're doing can be done, though. Many of my friends are military and regularly live apart from spouses for a year or so at a time. It's difficult, but just a short term hardship in a long relationship. I wish you nothing but the best!

Now losing the puppies...that would break my heart! Hopefully the new owners will send you pictures and updates.

I've had some time off from school this year so I'm foaming at the mouth to finally start. I feel like I've been waiting forever (and by "forever," I mean the endlessly long time since this admissions process started :)). Every day at work I get antsy for more responsibility. Today I even asked my boss if I could do an enucleation for my going away present :D I'll let you all know how that goes...:banana:
By the way, does anyone else find the thrusting banana as immaturely funny as I do...?

Yes, but probably not for the same reason. :D :laugh:

By the way, does anyone else find the thrusting banana as immaturely funny as I do...?

All they need to do is add music and it can be the new hamster dance!

Presenting...Banana dance!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Thanks Critterfixer! My husband and I have been together since we were freshman in high school so it's gonna be hard but we are strong. Losing the dogs is breaking my heart. I tear up everytime I look at them. Anyway, I wish you the best as well!

I'm excited to be a vet. Not to go to vet school.

AMEN. Can we just fast forward to the second half of third year and go from there?

And yes, I get the cold feet all the time. Mostly - can I go back to going to school every day? And studying? Can I still do that? Does my brain still work? :eek: Then I look around my job, and know there's no way I'm hanging around there so vet school's my only option ;)

I know what you guys mean. I decided at age 10 or so that I wanted to be a vet, and have been working towards that goal ever since (I even had it all planned out by age 11 that I'd go the University of Minnesota, live in the house I'm going to be living in, etc. etc.) So I feel like I should be absolutely thrilled that my goal of 11 years is coming true. And I am thrilled. But I'm also terrified and having that, "maybe it's just my personality that once I set my mind to something I'm going to do it... what if I just never looked at other possibilities?" So I've made myself a promise: I'm going to vet school. I think I'll like it, but I'm giving myself license to not. And hopefully I'll be a vet, and enjoy it. But if I don't? Then I'll go do something else. Yes, that means I'm going to be out 4 years of my life and goodness knows how much money, but so what? I will follow my dream unless I realize it really isn't my dream.

Now part of my other fear is what if I don't make a good vet? I never even thought about it (i.e. always assumed I'd make a good vet) until one of my friends in high school said, "I think you'll do just fine in vet school -- you're really book smart. But you're going to make a terrible vet; you've got no common sense at all." :( I honestly wish she hadn't said that; I'm fairly certain the main reason she did say it is because I was working towards the goal she'd always wanted, but didn't have the commitment to do. Even still, it's made me doubt myself ever since. And I know I shouldn't because here's what I think it's going to come down to: if I have confidence in my own abilities, I'll be a good vet. I just need to make sure I put all that out of my head and get confident!!!

So anyways, to sum up a long post, yes, I am definitely with you in the having doubts. On the one hand, I'm really excited to start! On the other... here's hoping I'm doing the right thing!

Serendipity4, I sure hope that's an ex-friend of yours, because a friend would never say something meant to be so hurtful.

It sounds like jealousy. Don't let her comment make you doubt yourself. Whether or not you'll be a great vet has yet to be determined. And YOU are the one who gets to determine that.

I haven't gotten in yet, I'm applying this cycle and I'm pretty terrified. Thoughts of debt, moving, academic stress and the fear of someday screwing up are definitely on my mind as well. Good luck, everyone.

Thanks, critterfixer :) And no, she's not an ex friend. In fact, she really is a good friend, that was just an unfortunate moment for her.

And I agree with you, I really am the one who gets to decide if I'm a great vet or not... so here's to throwing away as much self-doubt as possible and working towards that goal! :)

I agree with critterfixer. My parents have been on and off supportive, but they've never said anything that hurtful. It's just uncalled for.

Oh s***, my dog's throwing up again. Gotta go.

So I am excited to dissect a horse and actually to shove my hand up a cow's you know what (hey, if you got to do it, might as well have some humor). But i see all these posts about being so excited to go to vet school. yes i was excited when i got in, and sometimes i am excited to be moving far far away and living on my own etc etc. but is anyone, besides me, sometimes thinking "what the hell am i doing?" i mean, moving across the country away from my family, getting into debt, studying hours upon hours a day. honestly, i really am enjoying the fact that i am super bored this semester, able to take naps, able to not worry about anything on the weekend, and also not be thousands of dollars into debt. please, someone tell me i am not the only one.

Sometimes it is more frightening to GET WHAT YOU WANT than to not get what you want.

Last edited:
Umm... The first time I was hit with the "oh no, now it's real, dear god I hope I can do this" about 2 weeks ago. I figured I was the only one so I never said anything...

OMG. I am so glad you said this. This is exactly what started running through my head today. I am worried about the work load, finding a place to live, the debt, and most importantly whether or not my husband can come with me. I desperately want him to of course, but his career (he's a writer) just started taking off this year and when it's hot in that field, you have to keep going. Thank god for this strand though. It makes me feel so much better. :)

So recently, now that the sheer extreme joy of being admitted to vet school has worn off (only a little, of course ;) ), it's really settling in that I'm actually going in just a few short months. And then the whole moving halfway across the country, being $200 grand in the hole, and studying every waking moment starts to creep into my mind and scare me into thinking maybe, just maybe, I can't handle it?!!

But just as a confirmation for anyone else sometimes not feeling quite as psyched as they expected to be about starting soon (yes soon!), I am at the CVC East conference in Baltimore this weekend (paid for by current employer, so had to go ASAP before I left!), and it has completely renewed my confidence in myself that this is EXACTLY what I want to do, this is where I want to be, and these people that share this passion are who I want to be my colleagues! It's amazing to sit for talks about a variety of subjects and actually understand, medically, what is going on.

I think it's just this whole waiting around thing that is throwing us off.

I am now officially PSYCHED to be a DVM ... again :laugh: :banana:

Well for all those not psyched about going to vet school, just think about us who are not psyched to have yet another year of cleaning cages, mopping floors and bathing unruly animals for and still have the hassle and uncertainty of another application cycle and still not sure that we will suffer the 'unpsychocity' of being accepted into vet school! :(

Velcro, I'm sorry you didn't get in this cycle. I guess we have a completely different set of worries than you do.

My worries mainly consist of knowing enough, being good enough. I'm reading this fictional book right now about a medical resident and her trials and tribulations. She starts out as the girl with the straight As who can't get it together in her residency. She even falls asleep while holding a retractor in a gall bladder surgery. I had a dream I did that on a great dane last night! I guess I'm afraid of not knowing enough, not being good enough. I keep on imagining myself in class (especially anatomy lab, which I'm really worried about) and whether I can know it all. I mentioned this to my employer and he said simply you can't know it all, but you can know enough and learn what you don't know as you go along. He emphasized that it's a constant process of learning, and no one should expect you to know everything. But I'm one of those people that's harder on myself than everyone else is.

I just want to get the first week and the move and then I'm sure I'll be fine. Plus I still have to get through one more pre-req! AHHHHHH!

every time i see that pepper, i think it's two people embracing. then i need to tell myself, no, it's a pepper. not two people embracing. a pepper.

that's a pepper? i thought it was 'art.'

i've been having crazy psych-out dreams. a lot. almost every morning i have to re-psych myself from my psych-out. i hope that stops soon!

If you'll indulge me, the story behind the pepper. It's by Edward Weston. He found the pepper at a market and knew it would make a good subject, but couldn't figure out how to photograph it. He ended up, after several days and a slight bit of mold on the pepper, placing it in a metal funnel and photographing it. This is the 32nd picture. Hence the title "Pepper #32." It resides in the Chicago Art Institute, but when I was there in 2005, it wasn't on display. :(:(:( Boo on them!

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

-Marianne Williamson

So after years of trying to go to vet school, this year I will actually be going to vet school. And of course now I'm freaking out a little about whether I can actually handle this now that it's real (dear tufts of course I can handle it, please don't take back my acceptance!).

I found this old thread and thought it might be fun to resurrect it and see how you guys feel now that you are over halfway done with your first year. So what do you think? Do we newly accepted kids have anything to worry about.....? Any words of wisdom from the seasoned pros? Do you look at these old posts and laugh at yourselves or do you think man, I had no idea how scared I should have been?

So after years of trying to go to vet school, this year I will actually be going to vet school. And of course now I'm freaking out a little about whether I can actually handle this now that it's real (dear tufts of course I can handle it, please don't take back my acceptance!).

I found this old thread and thought it might be fun to resurrect it and see how you guys feel now that you are over halfway done with your first year. So what do you think? Do we newly accepted kids have anything to worry about.....? Any words of wisdom from the seasoned pros? Do you look at these old posts and laugh at yourselves or do you think man, I had no idea how scared I should have been?

I think, man, I had no idea how scared I should have been. :eek:

But you'll be fine. First semester was a really hard adjustment. But second semester is flying by--absolutely flying! I can hardly believe first year is almost over!

It's a lot like the team building exercises we did in orientation. We had to climb what amounts to a telephone pole, walk across a wire, and be lowered by cables to the ground again. It was absolutely terrifying (I hate heights). I wasn't sure I could do it. I WANTED to do it, but knew it would likely make me miserable. It took a LOT of sheer will power to make myself get up there and do it and not worry about falling. I had to trust that no one would let me do it if they didn't already know I could. I did it, and it felt glorious. But I don't think I want to ever do it again. First semester is kind of like that, at least for me.

So, yes, have a healthy dose of fear, and then get in there and do it anyway. You really will be fine.

I wouldn't worry too much. Like critter said, nothing can really prepare you for what a shock first semester is. It's really crazy trying to balance so many classes plus any other demands on your time. It takes awhile, but eventually you'll fall into a group of friends and study buddies. Just put yourself out there and try to hang out with as many people and study in as many groups as you can at first to find what sticks. My best friend and I both believe in getting at least 6 hours of sleep before a test--thank God. Your friends are really important as far as pulling you across the finish line of vet school. They're the ones that will tell you not to give up even when times are the worst--like while you're waiting for your anatomy final grade! The upperclass(wo)men can be really helpful too. They'll tell you which tests to bust your butt over and which ones to slack off on as well as which classes you can't miss and the ones you can sleep in during.

Re: some of my other posts above, the idea of actually doing surgery still scares me, but I feel that Tennessee is really preparing me to take on that challenge next semester! (But I'm still freaked out.)

OMG! We're going to do surgery NEXT semester?!? :scared: