Is it wrong not to be psyched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a little nervous too! More for the moving away part since I'll either be a very long drive or plane ride away! My undergrad was out of state but only 5 hours away. I wasn't nervous then- but now 20 hours away from anyone I know is a little scary!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks pressmom and critterfixer! Any other class of 2011 students have any thoughts looking back on how you felt last year at this time versus how you feel now?

I'm terrified of moving and leaving everything and people I love behind. I have had more sleepless nights thinking about the reality of this than while I was applying or waiting. I'm glad that I'm not the only one in this situation!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks pressmom and critterfixer! Any other class of 2011 students have any thoughts looking back on how you felt last year at this time versus how you feel now?

This is a distinctly different question from, "what is the difference between what you know now and what you knew then?", so I'll try to focus on yours. :)

Last year, I was excited and psyched and a bit scared--as I'm sure most of you 2012'ers are. This year? My life has changed in more ways than I could have anticipated, for better and for worse. I feel challenged, I feel motivated, I feel optimistic, I feel confident that YES I can do this. There's so much more camaraderie amongst vet students than I anticpated, us being all hypercompetitive and all. I feel welcomed, supported, reassured. I have done things I never would have thought possible--because I was forced to, because I wanted to, because people had faith in me. I feel competent and ignorant. The more I know, the more I realize I DON'T know, and so I feel humbled. And I feel that feeling humble is okay!

It's an exciting journey and one to look forward to. As my stand-up comedy teacher used to say, a little bit of fear is good for you--it makes you respect the situation--but don't get so caught up in it that you forget to enjoy yourself.

bottom line: you'll be fine. What's more, you'll be brilliant.

Congrats!!!

It's funny because I will actually be moving closer to home if I get into Texas A&M. Instead of being a 3.5 hour plane ride away, I'll be a 2.5 hour drive away from home. I think the thing that makes me the most upset is that in 2 months I'll be leaving all of my friends and teammates at school here. I will rarely if ever see them again and I just find that hard to swallow. I'm not quite at the point yet of being anxious for school, it hasn't all quite sunk in yet. :D

Yo! I just wanted to let you know that although I am very excited to start vet school, sometimes that is overshadowed by my doubts and excitments for other things (so you aren't alone). In fact, I think after I got over the initial woo hoo I am in vet school, I was more excited about having my own apartment. I just kinda attribute it to the fact that this is a MAJOR life change and that the different emotions that we are feeling are going to conflict/be impossible to experience all at once. You are not the only one to feel doubts, I mean to graduate with what amounts to a mortgage is not something to take lightly. It will be completely different than what we are used to too which is something to be apprehensive about. When I feel doubts or anything like that I kinda just slap myself in the face and tell myself that I know that this is what I want to do, and that obviously its not going to be easy getting there. Perk up! At least we will all be in debt together :D

One of out clinic's vets told me that every vet student suffers from 'buyer's remorse' at some point - wondering if you can do it, why did I get into this, etc... she said it'll seem scary at first, but every thing will be just fine and go by faster than you can imagine.

I'm really looking forward to being with 100 other people who love animals! No one in my family is an animal person! So I'm jazzed to meet some new friends!

I'm sad about being away from my family and best friend, but I do plan on getting home often enough and having visits so I always have something to look forward to. Plus breaks, and summer! So it won't be that bad.

I have to admit that I'm having none of these feelings -- because I'm actually moving back home! But I did have all of these same feelings for my undergrad: the debt (I will actually be in more debt for undergrad than vet school now) the far location (4 hours by plane, 16 by car) and such. Just from this, I have to say, I now think of ithaca as home. To the point where I say I'm going home (referring to madison --> ithaca) and my parents get confused (so do my friends). However, it was one of the best experiences of my life -- and that was just undergrad. Just thing how much better vet school will be!!! :D