Quantcast

Is Kaplan's Qbank worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lml

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I would like to know if kaplan's qbank is worth it, or should I just review the released tests? I dont have too much time to study
THANKS

Typo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every person I've talked to who's used the Qbank thought it was a waste of time. Study the decks and old tests.

lml

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, I've heard different things, but i guess Is not worth it

daagdar-saab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i feel if u have time u shld go thro it...i am telling u my experience. Being thorough with everything is wht separates the 90s from 95+s..hope u got wht i am saying.
ofcourse there will be ppl who have not gone thro' q bank and still scored gr88..but its a risk..

atleast try going thro' dental anat part..:)

Typo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i feel if u have time u shld go thro it...i am telling u my experience. Being thorough with everything is wht separates the 90s from 95+s..hope u got wht i am saying.
ofcourse there will be ppl who have not gone thro' q bank and still scored gr88..but its a risk..

atleast try going thro' dental anat part..:)
Not trying to be antagonistic, but almost every single person on SDN who's scored 95+ used almost primarily decks and old tests, and said "avoid Kaplan" (there's an exception or two that used it). The couple of people who scored that high who specifically mentioned the Qbank thought that it didn't apply very well to the exam. You're right though, there are probably people on both ends of the spectrum - it helped you, and has probably helped others. If you've got limited time, though, I'd beware, big time. I know someone personally who is a top-notch student, studied a good deal of Kaplan and Qbank, and regrets it in a major way - they scored far lower than they could have otherwise.

mam6701e

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be antagonistic, but almost every single person on SDN who's scored 95+ used almost primarily decks and old tests, and said "avoid Kaplan" (there's an exception or two that used it). The couple of people who scored that high who specifically mentioned the Qbank thought that it didn't apply very well to the exam. You're right though, there are probably people on both ends of the spectrum - it helped you, and has probably helped others. If you've got limited time, though, I'd beware, big time. I know someone personally who is a top-notch student, studied a good deal of Kaplan and Qbank, and regrets it in a major way - they scored far lower than they could have otherwise.

what decks did you use?
2001 or which one?
thanks

Typo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what decks did you use?
2001 or which one?
thanks
I used 2004 - the newest version has some better dental anatomy charts, like calcification times, etc. The layout of the cards seems to be updated a little bit. 2004 worked well enough, though.

deepa k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
then wat about the gard mcq's?????
i hv these mcq's known as gard mcq's...r they helpful ???
kindly respond 2 this....
thanks

lml

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont have too much time to study, I agree that If you have time then go through everything but that's not my case,,,, by the way..... I just heard about Dental Stax,, what is that? is it true that the ADA discontinued it because it has real exam questions? are they better than the dental decks?

Typo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont have too much time to study, I agree that If you have time then go through everything but that's not my case,,,, by the way..... I just heard about Dental Stax,, what is that? is it true that the ADA discontinued it because it has real exam questions? are they better than the dental decks?
Skip the Stax, use the Decks. I bought both, and ended up not using the Stax because it seemed like they had wayyyyy to much extraneous information on them. They had like 50+ cards on the upper limbs, for crying out loud! I only had one upper limb question on my test, and it was straight from one of the only 2 or 3 upper limbs cards in the Decks. The Decks and old tests are tried and true. Even if you had tons of time to study, they'd still be the thing to study.

First Aid for the USMLE is a very good book for mnemonics, especially in micro. I'd take a look at it if you have some time. Also, the "Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews" Biochemistry book has some very good pictures in it. If you can get your hands on that and look at the just the pictures for the body processes (glycolysis, Kreb's, FA synthesis/degradation, etc.) and the major enzymes, it'll be a huge help. That book is great for unifying all the biochem processes in your head, in my opinion.

Check out the "Official Scores" thread - tons of people who did really well, and their primary source of study was old decks and tests.