Is life at INDIANA really that MISERABLE??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

small

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that quite a few pre-dents are under the impression that most of the students at Indiana are miserable and wish that they had gone somewhere else. I plan on attending IU, regardless (I enjoyed my interview/tour), but would like to know if this is true or not. Is it just the work of a few complainers, or is there something to the rumors of unhappiness? Could it be PBL, the old facilities, grading system, location, or is it just dental school (as in any dental school is miserable)? Is there anyone who can say they are pleasantly satisfied or even exceptionally happy with their choice to attend IU? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, unless you're in-state and are paying cheap tuition, I don't know anyone where IU is there FIRST choice. Even a couple students I asked at my interview said they were there just because it was the only school that accepted them. They didn't have too much bad to say about the school though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've visited Indiana a few times, never to look at the school though, and I like the city. But then, I like sports bars.

It seems that quite a few pre-dents are under the impression that most of the students at Indiana are miserable and wish that they had gone somewhere else. I plan on attending IU, regardless (I enjoyed my interview/tour), but would like to know if this is true or not. Is it just the work of a few complainers, or is there something to the rumors of unhappiness? Could it be PBL, the old facilities, grading system, location, or is it just dental school (as in any dental school is miserable)? Is there anyone who can say they are pleasantly satisfied or even exceptionally happy with their choice to attend IU? Thanks.

I'm a current student at IU's dental school. Yeah, people here tend to be miserable and unhappy. But that's pretty much the same for many, or all (depends on your opinion), dental schools in this country.
I'm an out-of-state student, so coming to Indiana was a slight cultural shock. The people here tend to have no emotion, don't know how to greet you properly, and need a big class on how to smile. My class is very cliquish too, which I don't like.

What I really hate about IUSD's program is the triple jump exam that goes along with the PBL curriculum. The PBL curriculum here is not 100% like USC's dental program. However, the triple jump exam tests your ability to read through a case, make learning issues, make knowledge gaps, devise hypothesis, doing a two-hour research, and coming back to the examiner to blurb on what you've research. It's not that easy, and the "luck" of passing that exam depends on who your examiner is. If your examiner has a bad reputation of failing students because he or she is nit-picky of what they want from you, then expect yourself to fail that exam, and having to re-take it during your free time. So that's the most frustrating part about IUSD in my opinion. The courses here are also difficult in my opinion. I'm pretty sure it's the same for all other dental schools.

What I dislike about the school is the old building and the downstair basement lab. So junk, old, out-dated. I mean come on. Look at other dental school labs, and they have flat-screen TVs, manikins for ALL the students, voice-activated chairs, etc.

At the same time, you shouldn't judge a dental school by it's "building" and resources. I know this sounds contradictory to what I've just said, esp of my dental school. It all depends on what you've learned, how much effort you placed into your dental lab and clinic courses and your experience as a dental student that will make you a good dentist in the future. Keep that in mind.

Indiana a culture shock? Haha, I'm from Indiana and am still having culture shock after moving back from a 4-year stint abroad. Too bad people tend to be down, but as long as there's at least one person like NerdyHoosierDDS there IU should be fun. And can't beat in-state tuition. The triple jump exam sounds like a beech. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Indiana a culture shock? Haha, I'm from Indiana and am still having culture shock after moving back from a 4-year stint abroad. Too bad people tend to be down, but as long as there's at least one person like NerdyHoosierDDS there IU should be fun. And can't beat in-state tuition. The triple jump exam sounds like a beech. Thanks for the replies, everyone.
I went to IU. Dental school is no picnic anywhere, but I never felt like it was rougher than at other schools. If you want to see some miserable dental students, search for some of the UCONN threads floating around. PBL is boring and pointless, but that's the worst you can say about it, and compared to what apparently goes on at some other schools, "boring and pointless" isn't too bad a baseline.

Also, just to revisit something I've said several times before, $50-billion preclinic labs are way overrated. You don't learn to cut a class II by watching on a personal 47" plasma screen with vascularized semisynthetic soft-tissue mannequin heads whose laser-rangefinders warn you whenever you lean 5 degrees out of perfect ergonomic posture; you learn it by practicing on a mounted typodont. Learning to deal with the added wrinkles of clinical patient care is what the second half of dental school is for, not the first. When you're at that stage of the learning curve, the focus is on developing technical skills to where you're able to treat patients competently and safely, and at that point the only thing all that extra crap the school doubled your tuition to purchase is good for is getting in the way and making a tough job even tougher.

I went to IU. Dental school is no picnic anywhere, but I never felt like it was rougher than at other schools. If you want to see some miserable dental students, search for some of the UCONN threads floating around. PBL is boring and pointless, but that's the worst you can say about it, and compared to what apparently goes on at some other schools, "boring and pointless" isn't too bad a baseline.

Also, just to revisit something I've said several times before, $50-billion preclinic labs are way overrated. You don't learn to cut a class II by watching on a personal 47" plasma screen with vascularized semisynthetic soft-tissue mannequin heads whose laser-rangefinders warn you whenever you lean 5 degrees out of perfect ergonomic posture; you learn it by practicing on a mounted typodont. Learning to deal with the added wrinkles of clinical patient care is what the second half of dental school is for, not the first. When you're at that stage of the learning curve, the focus is on developing technical skills to where you're able to treat patients competently and safely, and at that point the only thing all that extra crap the school doubled your tuition to purchase is good for is getting in the way and making a tough job even tougher.

:laugh:

Did you walk to dental school uphill both ways too grandpa?

This thread reminded me of my experience at IU. When I was there on tour I spoke with a group of students and they told me to go somewhere else if I had the choice...On second thought maybe they just didn't like me?
My brother's experience was similar after interviewing he was walking to his rental car and a student stopped him and told him that he shouldn't come to IU that he hated it and wished he would have gone somewhere else.
On a positive note IU does produce quality clinicians.

This thread reminded me of my experience at IU. When I was there on tour I spoke with a group of students and they told me to go somewhere else if I had the choice...On second thought maybe they just didn't like me?
My brother's experience was similar after interviewing he was walking to his rental car and a student stopped him and told him that he shouldn't come to IU that he hated it and wished he would have gone somewhere else.

I am from Indianapolis and take this for what its worth. A good friend of mine who was at IUSD when I applied urged me to go somewhere else and seemed really happy for me I got accepted at Kentucky. You have to realize that I figured I was heading to IUSD (close to home, in-state tuition) and part of the reason I chose UK was because of my friend's advice (the other part had to do with my experience with IU's admissions department but that is another story). When I was at UK, a couple of residents were IU grads and I remember one of them saying that we have it (UK) a hell of a lot better than they did (IU). Neither one really had any good things to say about the school (when discussion was sparked), although, I did not ask them much about it. In agreement with golfer, IUSD seems to produce good clinicians as these two residents appeared and I would not presume otherwise. With all of this said, I am not claiming to know anything specific about IU (aside from common knowledge about PBL), but this thread kind of struck a chord considering the attitude towards the school of recent grads that I know personally. I jump at the chance to compliment my school and faculty (most of them :D) since I have graduated when someone asks. It is just kind of odd that nobody I know from IU does so. However, I know there are people out there with positive experiences to share. Each individual within each school is different, I guess...

I am from Indianapolis and take this for what its worth. A good friend of mine who was at IUSD when I applied urged me to go somewhere else and seemed really happy for me I got accepted at Kentucky. You have to realize that I figured I was heading to IUSD (close to home, in-state tuition) and part of the reason I chose UK was because of my friend's advice (the other part had to do with my experience with IU's admissions department but that is another story). When I was at UK, a couple of residents were IU grads and I remember one of them saying that we have it (UK) a hell of a lot better than they did (IU). Neither one really had any good things to say about the school (when discussion was sparked), although, I did not ask them much about it. In agreement with golfer, IUSD seems to produce good clinicians as these two residents appeared and I would not presume otherwise. With all of this said, I am not claiming to know anything specific about IU (aside from common knowledge about PBL), but this thread kind of struck a chord considering the attitude towards the school of recent grads that I know personally. I jump at the chance to compliment my school and faculty (most of them :D) since I have graduated when someone asks. It is just kind of odd that nobody I know from IU does so. However, I know there are people out there with positive experiences to share. Each individual within each school is different, I guess...

Other than the ridiculous PBL curriculum at IUSD, and it's not 100% PBL like USC's dental program BTW, there is nothing wrong with IU's dental program.

All I have to rant and rave about hating IU's dental school is the damn PBL and most definitely the triple jump exams. But these triple jump exams are only during the first two years of the program here.

Oh, and what I also hate is my mentor. He's never around, and he's always busy with his "new job." I also gave him a box of chocolate, and he never even thanked me for that.

I know of many other dental schools where they kick you out if you don't make it after your first and second year.

IUSD is a dental school that accepts you to their school and try their damn best to keep you there.

I tend to notice that the Indiana students in my class seem to have "no" pride in their school. I don't know. There's this theme of Indiana that I sense where people aren't proud of their schools or basically, people here have no pride. Dunno.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, I hear a lot of "don't come here" BS when interviewees take tour of the school.

I don't 100% recommend IUSD to potential applicants. But at the same time, IUSD is not the worse dental school in the nation.

I heard NYU cuts 10-15 students from their program every year. It's all about admitting 200-300 students and weeding them out, just to suck $$$ from their wallets.

USC is also another worse dental school where students there are not happy about dentistry period. 100% PBL, you learn nothing, lowest board score in the nation, etc.

So it really makes me laugh at some of the dental students at IUSD when they tell potential applicants "don't come here." Obviously, these in-state Indiana students know NOHTING about other dental schools outside the hoosier state.

this thread is funny as hell.

like so many others have said before dental school is what you make of it. i am an out of stater and yes i hated it when i first moved out here and still cant wait to get the hell out of here. however, i am not gonna say you shouldnt come here. just because its not for me doesnt mean you wont like it here. seriouly, if you read about any other school you'd find many that hate their schools. you should decide for yourself wether coming to IU is right for you.

nerdyhoosier,
you are an out of stater? i see they have already converted you to being a colt's fan:thumbdown:

GO TITANS AND LAKERS:thumbup::thumbup:

Having gone to Indiana University at Bloomington,
and having a sister who transferred to IUPUI Nursing School,
I know IUPUI pretty well and
I can give you this advise...

PLEASE DO NOT HAVE YOUR HOPES UP ABOUT THIS SCHOOL!

No offense on educational values, students/faculties or IUPUI in general, but
having lived in three different countries, and bi-lingual in Korean/English, I'm in a different circumstances, but once I got into both Indiana and NYU for dental school, my dream-of-getting-the-hell-out-of-indiana became true!

I think people in Indiana are very down-to-earth in good terms, and
plain emotionless in bad terms..

Very orthodox, conservative, and... often very boring.

I spoke with about three 1st years from IU over the weekend and they seemed to enjoy it. Everyone said it was hard, but that they all had fun. All three had very positive attitudes in general.

I think people in Indiana are very down-to-earth in good terms, and
plain emotionless in bad terms..
Very orthodox, conservative, and... often very boring.

That was a very broad assessment of about 6.3 million people. I've lived abroad and traveled to many countries, too, and while Indiana may have more conservative-minded people than many other places, you find boring people everywhere. How do you know how boring and emtionless people are, do you hang out with boring people? Birds of a feather flock together, you know. My wife used to say the same stuff, actually (she's Japanese). Then she graduated, grew up a bit, and stopped stereotyping people she really didn't know.
With that said, I got an interview to Colorado and will probably go there if I am accepted (newer school, smaller class size, Denver, mountains!!!). I will miss all of my down-to-earth yet boring, emtionless friends, though.

I went to Indiana for undergrad and lived in Indiana pretty much all my life and then went to Penn for dental school. I have plenty of friends that went to IU for dental school and for me it came down to the last day to decide between Penn and Indiana and decided on Penn because I wanted to try something new. Overall I would say Indiana is a great school. I think a lot of people from Indiana bash on Indiana because they think it was too easy to get in so it isnt a great school, etc. Life in Indy is pretty good with a cheap cost of living and plenty to do, and you dont have to worry about being shot walking down the strret like in a lot of other big cities. The bars close at 3:30 instead of 2 like most other cities, and IU and Purdue are only an hour away if you want to get away to party. The facilities arent that great true, but like several other posters said it all depends on the teachers. Facilities arent going to mean anything if you have crappy teachers. I know becuase Penn has some really old facilities and some brand new ones and really it doesnt matter. Its nice for a week or two to know its new but overall its all the same, and it isnt a bad idea to have crappy facilities becuase you can only go up from there instead of vice versa. IU does a great job trainign competent, good clinicians and that is the most important thing and if your instate is really cheap. The difference I noticed is the students arent as motivated as Penn, but I think you will find that at any public school in general. To the person going to NYU over Indiana is a ***** and is going to regret it when they are $150,000 more in debt than the Indiana grad and a quarter of his class gets kicked out after the first year. True PBL sucks, but the boards are being changed to a pbl format so it only helps.

Indiana doesn't have manikins for all the students? To me that wouldn't qualify as extra fancy, that is basic.

I interviewed at IU but it was my safety because I spoke to 3 graduates (only 1 was recent) and all of them recommended that I go elsewhere. That's all I know.

The biggest factor in my decision to choose against Indiana was the PBL component. In the end I just did not feel that was the best approach for me. A lot of people hate on the old facilities, but just like the above poster stated it's faculty that really matters. Everyone I have spoken to present and alumni have nothing but great things to say about IU's faculty. Good faculty that love to teach will be of more influence on your abilities than how new the condition of the facilities.

In the end attend where you feel the most comfortable. I feel it's very important to like the town and surrounding area. You will need some time to unwind and relieve all that stress. With that being said, I agree with you the close proximity of the mountains @ CU would be a huge draw. You could be at Loveland within 2 hours traffic depending and get a good half day on the mountain in with time to study in the evening.

Anyway good luck with your upcoming interview and final decision on the right program for you!!

life in indy is pretty cheap. dirt cheap. i pay pay 650 for a 3 bed room condo in a relatively nice area.

as far as worrying about getting shot at, ummmmm that i may not say. you dont have to worry about getting shot as as long as the PACERS are playing on the road and not in indy. plenty of people get shot at here just like any other place.

the bars here close around 2am like in most other places. not like los angeles where they close at 9 am. this isnt that important to me because i dont party that long anyways.

the culture here sucks. i rather not comment further.

all in all, indiana is a nice place for students and if you are used to the midwest. once you graduate is a different story.

good luck all and

GO LAKERS!!!!!!!!

life in indy is pretty cheap. dirt cheap. i pay pay 650 for a 3 bed room condo in a relatively nice area.

as far as worrying about getting shot at, ummmmm that i may not say. you dont have to worry about getting shot as as long as the PACERS are playing on the road and not in indy. plenty of people get shot at here just like any other place.

the bars here close around 2am like in most other places. not like los angeles where they close at 9 am. this isnt that important to me because i dont party that long anyways.

the culture here sucks. i rather not comment further.

all in all, indiana is a nice place for students and if you are used to the midwest. once you graduate is a different story.

good luck all and

GO LAKERS!!!!!!!!

Indy is good for sports. At least we have a couple of pro teams and a bunch of minor league sports represented (not to mention the Final Four every 3-4 years). If you like racing, you got the 500, Brickyard, and the F1. The whole month of May at the track is what I missed most although I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the race :laugh:...

I've never seen Indiana's dental school nor do I care too. Dental school in general is a royal pain in the ace everywhere. Do yourself a lifetime favor and just go wherever it's is cheapest! If you have someone else footing the bill for you then it's a different story but I don't see how you can justify paying 3-4x's the cost of tuition because you like somewhere else just a little more. Cost of school should be a major decision factor in where you choose to attend and to think otherwise is immature and of very poor business sense. Your true learning comes after dental school with CE courses and you should consider a dental license nothing more than a sheet of paper that allows you to get started doing dentistry. You'll have soooo many more career options with 100k in debt instead of 300K and I can't emphasize this enough. Especially for you females who are eve even considering having a family at some point and have any intentions of ever working anything less than a 40 hour work week. I'm telling you this because I've seen other female dentists bawling there eyes out in the morning before seeing patients because they're back in the office 8 weeks after having a baby because they can't afford anything less than full-time with the 3K school loan that's due every month! Don't live under the notion that there's a surplus of 150-200K jobs working 35 hours a week waiting for you after D school. I tell you this not to scare you but because I was in your shoes 7 years ago when I was deciding where to go to school. I never envisioned earning income as a dentist to be a difficult thing and didn't comprehend school debt at the time of my decision.

I've never seen Indiana's dental school nor do I care too. Dental school in general is a royal pain in the ace everywhere. Do yourself a lifetime favor and just go wherever it's is cheapest! If you have someone else footing the bill for you then it's a different story but I don't see how you can justify paying 3-4x's the cost of tuition because you like somewhere else just a little more. Cost of school should be a major decision factor in where you choose to attend and to think otherwise is immature and of very poor business sense. Your true learning comes after dental school with CE courses and you should consider a dental license nothing more than a sheet of paper that allows you to get started doing dentistry. You'll have soooo many more career options with 100k in debt instead of 300K and I can't emphasize this enough. Especially for you females who are eve even considering having a family at some point and have any intentions of ever working anything less than a 40 hour work week. I'm telling you this because I've seen other female dentists bawling there eyes out in the morning before seeing patients because they're back in the office 8 weeks after having a baby because they can't afford anything less than full-time with the 3K school loan that's due every month! Don't live under the notion that there's a surplus of 150-200K jobs working 35 hours a week waiting for you after D school. I tell you this not to scare you but because I was in your shoes 7 years ago when I was deciding where to go to school. I never envisioned earning income as a dentist to be a difficult thing and didn't comprehend school debt at the time of my decision.

That is why I'm glad I chose one of the cheaper state schools and not a private one :thumbup:.

I went to Indiana for undergrad and lived in Indiana pretty much all my life and then went to Penn for dental school. I have plenty of friends that went to IU for dental school and for me it came down to the last day to decide between Penn and Indiana and decided on Penn because I wanted to try something new. Overall I would say Indiana is a great school. I think a lot of people from Indiana bash on Indiana because they think it was too easy to get in so it isnt a great school, etc. Life in Indy is pretty good with a cheap cost of living and plenty to do, and you dont have to worry about being shot walking down the strret like in a lot of other big cities. The bars close at 3:30 instead of 2 like most other cities, and IU and Purdue are only an hour away if you want to get away to party. The facilities arent that great true, but like several other posters said it all depends on the teachers. Facilities arent going to mean anything if you have crappy teachers. I know becuase Penn has some really old facilities and some brand new ones and really it doesnt matter. Its nice for a week or two to know its new but overall its all the same, and it isnt a bad idea to have crappy facilities becuase you can only go up from there instead of vice versa. IU does a great job trainign competent, good clinicians and that is the most important thing and if your instate is really cheap. The difference I noticed is the students arent as motivated as Penn, but I think you will find that at any public school in general. To the person going to NYU over Indiana is a ***** and is going to regret it when they are $150,000 more in debt than the Indiana grad and a quarter of his class gets kicked out after the first year. True PBL sucks, but the boards are being changed to a pbl format so it only helps.

Mr Scandalous, where did you hear about the quarter of the class getting cut? The admissions director said 98% of the people who come in end up graduating.

Yes it is! Very miserable with the PBL curriculum, remediation, the tough exams, and getting back to the PBL curriculum, some of the professors just dish test topics to you and make you research the exam topic yourself. They even put test questions on the exams of courses that are not even taught yet. How f--ked up is that?

Do yourself a favor. Don't come to IUSD. And if you're a non-resident student, you WILL pay non-resident tuition for all four years of your dental education. Once you're a "non hoosier" you're an outsider for life.

Typical bigoted mentality of the people in this state.

I was in a similar situation when you speak of Penn's dental school. I got waitlisted for Penn's dental program. But I was so stupid and foolhardy to pay my downpayment for IUSD since they were the very first dental school to admit me. I don't care if Penn is "old" in some aspect. The great lifestyle of living in Philly is great. Compare that to living in boring hell-hole called Indianapolis. The only fun thing here is going to the zoo (lol), going to an expensive Colts game, or driving out to Chicago. Other than that, Indy is boring and conservative and not diverse.

The people here have no emotions, are dull, some of the guys in my class are dumb rednecks and competition can be intense. the labs at IUSD are also small and can't accomodate a ****load of your classmates trying to grind down a die stone because there are only four machines. Then you gotta share the small lab with 1st and 2nd year students. The head lab guy running the IUSD lab (he claims to be a former dental lab technician) is a complete idiot. Looks like a redneck joe from Indiana. Treated and still treats me like **** and only talks to teh white students. And the fat lady working in the supply room is another *****. Got more stories to tell. Just send me a PM if you're interested in learning the truth about IUSD.

I even have 2nd years and 1st years (I have a 1st year mentee who tells me that the PBL curriculum should be torched, as well as some of his professors, but that's another story) complaining to me about their workload.

My 1st year mentee also told me that recently, like last week Friday during his class' free time on a Friday MORNING, he had to sit in on a ridiculous ethics lecture sponsored by an alumnus of IUSD. I mean come on. Donate $1million to host a (ONE single!!) dental ethics lecture for 1st year students every year?
Was that alumnus smoking crack? Perhaps heroin? Must be the long everlasting stress he got (and I will get) from his dental student career at IUSD. Why not donate that same amount of money to IUSD and make his stupid check payable for building a new dental school building and purchasing new state-of-the-art equipments for the clinic??!!! Shht!! Just look at the IU Medical school building, and their building AND library is 1000xs better than IUSD's crumbling building. Kung-fu kick IUSD's building very hard, and you can destroy the whole school.

That was a very broad assessment of about 6.3 million people. I've lived abroad and traveled to many countries, too, and while Indiana may have more conservative-minded people than many other places, you find boring people everywhere. How do you know how boring and emtionless people are, do you hang out with boring people? Birds of a feather flock together, you know. My wife used to say the same stuff, actually (she's Japanese). Then she graduated, grew up a bit, and stopped stereotyping people she really didn't know.
With that said, I got an interview to Colorado and will probably go there if I am accepted (newer school, smaller class size, Denver, mountains!!!). I will miss all of my down-to-earth yet boring, emtionless friends, though.

Dude, you should go travelling. Quit being the typical smug hooiser boy. I've studied in Boston, NYC, LA, Seattle, Houston, and yes, no matter where you go, tehre will be boring *** people. But Indiana and esp. the majority of the hoosier students in my class take the cake for being apathetic, emotionless and boring. Don't know how to say hi to you when they see you in the hallway. And my class tends to be segregated. Similar congregation with the other class groups. For example, the white students tend to form their own social/drinking/party groups. They also talk amongst themselves. Don't want to sit next to you because of your race.

HOWEVER guys.

IUSD is considered a great paradise dental school if you compare it to USC or even NYU.

grumpydds,

i am sorry to hear about your exp at IUSD. honestly, i feel a lot of your emotions and i know exactly where you are coming from. i used to bitch about similar stuff (and still do sometimes) but i look at it as i am here for my dental education and then i am out. i understand the discomfort you may feel because you arent treated like everybody else but you know what? you just have to ignore it and know that you dont have to put up with it too long. let me know if there is anything i could ever do for ya.

ahmad samadzai

Hey grumpy,
To dispel the myth of redneck, bigot hoosier fan-boys, I would like to extend my hand in friendship. (this shows my commitment to diversity). I would love to have more diversity amongst my friends. Want to be my friend? I can drive up to Indy on the weekends.

I have 4 black friends, 5 indians, and one hispanic friend. I'm all about the numbers. :D

I don't have any major complaints (and I'm a minority female). Dental school sucks no matter where you go b/c of all the hoop jumping you have to do. I'm in my 3rd year and feeling fine with where I'm sitting as far as clinics go. In the end, 99% come out a dentist.

Dude, you should go travelling. Quit being the typical smug hooiser boy. I've studied in Boston, NYC, LA, Seattle, Houston, and yes, no matter where you go, tehre will be boring *** people. But Indiana and esp. the majority of the hoosier students in my class take the cake for being apathetic, emotionless and boring. Don't know how to say hi to you when they see you in the hallway. And my class tends to be segregated. Similar congregation with the other class groups. For example, the white students tend to form their own social/drinking/party groups. They also talk amongst themselves. Don't want to sit next to you because of your race.

Oh, I believe your assessment, I just try to look on the bright side of any situation. I went to Ball State University up in Muncie, Indiana, and remember having some "red-neck" dude in his huge pickup truck yell "You f---ing *****, get a life!" at me as he drove by me. The circumstances: I was walking to the library with my book-bag on a Saturday morning to study for the DAT! Yeah, I know the mentality you're talking about, but I also have a lot of good friends and family who defy this mentality. Having studied music, I was exposed to people from all of the world (yes, even in Indiana) and a lot of my friends were not American. The only way I survived so long in Indiana was by focusing on and actively seeking out the good.

The WASP cliques you describe are not surprising, and it's sad to see that even in professional school there are students who feel isolated because of his or here race or ethnicity. I'm sure there are a lot of people in Indiana (and other places, too, but we're talking about Indiana) that exclude other races from consideration for friendship without even realizing it. Of course, there are some who do realize what they're doing...either way, you don't expect this in dental school. It's sad to hear about that at IU.

The first time my wife, who is Japanese, flew into Indianapolis for graduate school she thought she had just landed in some kind of rural circle of Hell! And despite meeting many good friends (including me!) and having a lot of fun, I think she still regards her days at Ball State as some of the most dismal in her life (because of the location and close-mindedness of some of the people she encountered). We live in Fort Wayne, now, and it hasn't been bad. Kids of all stripes for our son to play with in our apartment complex (lots of students and section-8, the white families with even a bit of money have fled to the burbs for the "schools"), I have some great, very open-minded classmates of various hues and sexual preferences, and my family has managed to find a lot of Japanese-American families of like-nature to hang with.

Yes, GrumpyDDS, I've traveled quite a bit (Italy, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, and of course around N. America and will be going to Mexico in a few months and then France next year, can't wait!), lived in Japan for 4 years, and have a half-Japanese, half-white son with a very Japanese name. Please don't confuse optimism for smugness in my assessment of Indiana people; I'm just trying to look on the bright side of life.

Best of luck surviving what sounds like a difficult situation. I would have loved to have you over for sushi or something, but I'll be going to Colorado this summer. I bet there might be some of what you've described there, but hopefully a small class size will force integration upon even the most reluctant! I'm not surprised by anything you've said here, but I hope that your pessimism about the situation does prevent you from seeing those in your class who are interested in meeting more than just people who look and act like themselves. Thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck!

/

Last edited:
Grumpy, you seem like a really negative person. I am from Indiana and have family in Boston also, and honestly, people (IN GENERAL, not everyone) in Indiana are waaayyyy more friendly and nice than people on the east coast. I would be willing to bet that people don't talk to you because they can sense your negativity about the school and city. And yes, there are plenty of rednecks here but you will find rednecks anywhere there are poor white people.

I would suggest you become a little more proactive about your situation and be a little less negative. And people always complain about how boring Indiana is, but honestly, aren't you really busy with school? And what exactly would you want to do that you can't do in Indy anyways? I personally would like not having all the distractions of a cultured, world-city while I waste away in the library/lab for 4 years.

i dont think grumpyis trying to be negative. he is simply stating the truth. unless you have been in his shoes you wouldnt have the slightest clue about his situation. when i first moved to indiana my wife used to think that i was being over sensitive and maybe just had it in my head. it didnt take her long (2 weeks) to realize that people here are what grumpy described. its truly sad/rediculous that many of them still act like its the 60s. the one thing that i do agree on with you is that grumpy just needs to stay busy/focused with school. finish school and go where you are happy.

Grumpy, you seem like a really negative person. I am from Indiana and have family in Boston also, and honestly, people (IN GENERAL, not everyone) in Indiana are waaayyyy more friendly and nice than people on the east coast. I would be willing to bet that people don't talk to you because they can sense your negativity about the school and city. And yes, there are plenty of rednecks here but you will find rednecks anywhere there are poor white people.

I would suggest you become a little more proactive about your situation and be a little less negative. And people always complain about how boring Indiana is, but honestly, aren't you really busy with school? And what exactly would you want to do that you can't do in Indy anyways? I personally would like not having all the distractions of a cultured, world-city while I waste away in the library/lab for 4 years.

thats not true at all. if by friendly you mean they stare you down,or question you all the time about why you are in indiana. i cant tell you how many times go "hi. where are you from? (looking at me all surprised)". one asks me if i ever saw saddam because i am from the middle east and have lived here for the past 18 years. here is another one for ya. i travel to Az to watch the hoosiers play in a bowl game and i am having a drink with my wife the night before the game at the alumni get together and some lady asks me why i am there. not even knowing anything about me and she wants to know why the hell am i there. btw, she seemed to be educated and in the upper class most likely. \

if all that means generally nice then yeah my bad. i have it all wrong/

peace

\

Last edited:
grumpydds,

i am sorry to hear about your exp at IUSD. honestly, i feel a lot of your emotions and i know exactly where you are coming from. i used to bitch about similar stuff (and still do sometimes) but i look at it as i am here for my dental education and then i am out. i understand the discomfort you may feel because you arent treated like everybody else but you know what? you just have to ignore it and know that you dont have to put up with it too long. let me know if there is anything i could ever do for ya.

ahmad samadzai

Yes it is really bad, in my opinion, here at IUSD. It's a very cliquish school. The students in general tend to be cold, uncaring, and very cliquish. They form their own groups, and sadly, it's the "white frat/sorority" type of students who study together, etc. I heard from a another student, a class below me state that he witnessed a student assistant for one of his courses talk down on a colored student. Now that's terrible. My friend also told me that in his dental lab course, i won't specify to keep his anonymity, the instructors tend to help the "popular" type of students. I also hate that lab guy downstairs. He's such an a$$hole. I think his name is richard. Tall ugly old man with thick glasses. A 1st year student told me he too had bad experiences with richard.

I wouldn't recommend this dental school to peeps coming from places like California, NY, unless you're a white student.

Grumpy, you seem like a really negative person. I am from Indiana and have family in Boston also, and honestly, people (IN GENERAL, not everyone) in Indiana are waaayyyy more friendly and nice than people on the east coast.

If you consider NYC in general, yeah people there can be cold. But Boston? Boston folks are more outgoing people. They even smile and say hi to me when I see them in the hallway. Unlike some of the faculty and secretaries here at IUSD who don't even say hi to me and think I'm a dog.

I would be willing to bet that people don't talk to you because they can sense your negativity about the school and city.

Um nope. I actually tend to interact a lot with faculties and some of my classmtes.

And yes, there are plenty of rednecks here but you will find rednecks anywhere there are poor white people.

True. I never said everybody in Indiana is a redneck person.

I would suggest you become a little more proactive about your situation and be a little less negative. And people always complain about how boring Indiana is, but honestly, aren't you really busy with school?

Sure, but you also want to spend some time to blow off steam esp after taking a monthly exam, or after working a long ugly day in the clinic. Damn it. I can't even stand some of the clinic instructors. They take their sweet ol' time evaluating the work of others while I have to wait and wait because my procedure was more complex. Ugh!

And what exactly would you want to do that you can't do in Indy anyways? I personally would like not having all the distractions of a cultured, world-city while I waste away in the library/lab for 4 years.

The night life here is dull. There are also hardly any nightclubs to socialize at. NYC, on the other hand, is non-stop good fun 24 hours a day! Can't wait to graduate and get on with life.

i dont think grumpyis trying to be negative. he is simply stating the truth. unless you have been in his shoes you wouldnt have the slightest clue about his situation. when i first moved to indiana my wife used to think that i was being over sensitive and maybe just had it in my head. it didnt take her long (2 weeks) to realize that people here are what grumpy described. its truly sad/rediculous that many of them still act like its the 60s. the one thing that i do agree on with you is that grumpy just needs to stay busy/focused with school. finish school and go where you are happy.

Thanks perfect for at least understaning my point of view.

It's just that I was expecting people here to be more bubbly than folks I've met in Boston or some other cities. Yes, people here in Indiana are more "laidback" but that doesn't mean they are friendly to you. Hoosier hospitality is mainly for the white majority here. Other than that, you're viewed upon with suspicion.

I see in another post where a "fellow hoosier" fan asked you why you were at the game? Same crap happened to one of my friends. He's also a dental student. him and I went to an IU basketball game this past January, not too long ago. There was this old white couple seated behind us. They never bothered to speak to me. I could care less. But they asked my friend if he was from Hong Kong, since he looks "Chinese". WTF? He said no, and that he's from Uranus, just to tick them off and to joke around. I thought that was funny.

Haha! That is pretty bad. But honestly, I would be surprised/interested if you told me you were from the middle east and we were standing here in Indiana. I would be wondering how you ended up here from a place on the other side of the globe because as both you and Grumpy have said, Indy isn't a huge international hotspot. If we were standing in NYC or someplace, I wouldn't be quite as interested.

And you are right, I have no clue about Grumpy's situation. I can only speak of my own experiences and MY experiences tell me that you will find people of all types in any city of a million people in the US, maybe in slightly different ratios. Maybe Grumpy should stop making huge generalizations about his entire dental school class so he can avoid walking around IUSD chanting "I hate this place, I hate this place" in his head all day. <-- I'm not saying he does this, who knows, but if he does I guarantee it will make people seem a lot more rude.

i do the so called generalization all day because its true. its true in my class, its been true for people before me, and it will be true for others who come after.

hey, see for yourself at this website, LVUTV.com. Gives you an inside look at the school through video interviews with current students about the Indiana campus, the classes, the profs, etc. They apparently do cliff diving there! check it out: http://www.lvutv.com/college.php/77?v=28524 Looks awesome! Good luck with your decision.

Yeah, Bloomington is cool and would be a blast, but IU Dental is in Indianapolis at IUPUI campus.

Yes it is really bad, in my opinion, here at IUSD. It's a very cliquish school. The students in general tend to be cold, uncaring, and very cliquish. They form their own groups, and sadly, it's the "white frat/sorority" type of students who study together, etc. I heard from a another student, a class below me state that he witnessed a student assistant for one of his courses talk down on a colored student. Now that's terrible. My friend also told me that in his dental lab course, i won't specify to keep his anonymity, the instructors tend to help the "popular" type of students. I also hate that lab guy downstairs. He's such an a$$hole. I think his name is richard. Tall ugly old man with thick glasses. A 1st year student told me he too had bad experiences with richard.

I wouldn't recommend this dental school to peeps coming from places like California, NY, unless you're a white student.

Some of your information is so true. I am almost 25% done with my dental school career and see some of this cliquish group stuff going on. It doesn't really bother me though. I mean I pretty much study by myself and sit in the middle of the class while my friends sit in the back of the class for certain courses.

I like most of the instructors at IUSD. If you have the knack to finish your work, you will get it done.

My PBL group experiences were okay. Since I'm first year, we have PBL sessions every other two-weeks for each biweekly exams.

Some of the instructors do play favoritism. I can sense that. Even some of hte bench instructors for my STI course have that mentality.

But overall, I'm happy with my experience so far. I guess for you Grumpy, you're an upperclassmen, so you're pretty much ready to bail out of IUSD. LOL!

hey, see for yourself at this website, LVUTV.com. Gives you an inside look at the school through video interviews with current students about the Indiana campus, the classes, the profs, etc. They apparently do cliff diving there! check it out: http://www.lvutv.com/college.php/77?v=28524 Looks awesome! Good luck with your decision.

IUSD is located at the IUPUI campus in Indianapolis. Same for the IU med school and a second law school branch.

i do the so called generalization all day because its true. its true in my class, its been true for people before me, and it will be true for others who come after.

I guess I'm the guy who came after you. I just started last summer here at IUSD. It's okay so far. I don't like the triple jump exams. Some of the examiners really are biased. :mad:

What I like about Indianapolis is that there is hardly any traffic, and there are no LONG lines at movie theaters or at the store. Very convenient.
Cost of living, eh, I pay rip off price for rent. So I'm not going to state that Indy is a cheap place to live.

I'm an out-of-state student, so coming to Indiana was a slight cultural shock. The people here tend to have no emotion, don't know how to greet you properly, and need a big class on how to smile. My class is very cliquish too, which I don't like.

I think this is a Midwest phenomena. I'm a transplant from the east coast to another Midwest D-school. It did not take long before I realized i was among a strange sort of pod people. Your quote above could have been about my school as well.

Although I am pretty happy with the school itself,the curriculum and such...I really want to get away from Midwest people. Everything is so homogenous here. No edge, no stimulus or diversity of life.

Well I'm venting a little...its not sooo bad, but other transplants will see a little truth in it.