is magnetism deemphasized on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

study pray love

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
in the MSAR all it says to know for Magnetism is:
1. definition of magnetic field B
2. existence and direction of force on a charge moving in a magnetic field

My TPR review book goes into a lot of detail about solenoids, flux and EMF. Is it necessary to know this info or should i just skip it and focus on the info that's actually on the test?

thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Magnetic induction (Faraday and Lenz's laws) seems to be a common topic. Magnetism isn't a terribly difficult topic anyways so it doesn't hurt to read up on whatever's in your book.

in the MSAR all it says to know for Magnetism is:
1. definition of magnetic field B
2. existence and direction of force on a charge moving in a magnetic field

My TPR review book goes into a lot of detail about solenoids, flux and EMF. Is it necessary to know this info or should i just skip it and focus on the info that's actually on the test?

thanks!:)

thought it might not be asked specifically you are bound to find a passage which will talk about the use of solenoids, flux and EMF and so forth in some magical apparatus device that a person is testing in the passage. Having a idea before hand about what these are and what they do will help on the exam in terms of understand the passage. Even TBR has these in its chapter about magnetism. I would read them and get a idea about what they are

FWIW, I've found that previous understanding/exposure to a concept that is being explained in a passage makes reading through the passage easier and more efficient. For example, I did a passage on the milliken oil drop experiment today and found that the passage explained the experiment in a really hard way to understand. If I didn't already know how the experiment worked, I probably would've spent a lot more time answering the questions and probably gotten less right.

Members don't see this ad :)