Delay MCAT? More time needed, but means post-June 1 app (deemphasizing applicant anecdotes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCDavispremed92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(read bolded for quick skim) Thanks in advance for reading and responding. I don't think I am the only one with this question so hopefully others can glean something from this discussion.

I am scheduled to test April 21 and it has occurred to me that I need to put some finishing touches on content review by expanding/reviewing Anki decks and rereading some chapters before I feel comfortable jumping into passages full on. The anki decks consist of larger decks dedicated to bio, biochem, gen chem, and behavioral sciences from Kaplan with smaller application-based ones from Berkeley Review. While I would like to put in another ~2 weeks emphasizing content review and deck expansion to really crystallize everything, I'm really starting to feel the time running off the clock for me in terms of building up a wide breadth of experience actually doing passages and simulating test-like conditions. It's worth noting that I have an 8 shift/month job as an ER scribe and some limited (in pre-MCAT period) volunteering for a congressional campaign (I think this is a stand-out move, particularly for interview, as it fits my larger profile and it's something I've long genuinely wanted to do, though if you think it's not worth time investment, I'm all ears). I considered not working right now at all to maximize prep time, but I think it would not have gone over well in an interview as I'm in a gap year and would have had little to show for it. It is due to these considerations that I am considering moving my test date to May. Given the choice, I would probably hedge my bets and go for a May 5 date (results June 5), though I understand the "what's 2.5 weeks going to do for you" argument - time is time. However, May 5 (results June 5) is currently not available in my state whatsoever. May 19 (results available June 19) is available in my area, and I could make the switch right now at testing center closest to me, but there's the obvious downside is the June 19 result release date.

I realize there have been a number of posts similar to this in the past, but here is where this post is different. With regard to late applications (relative to June 1), I do not think it is helpful for me or anyone in a relatable place to hear comments based on the anecdotal experience of a single applicant to the effect of "I took the MCAT in September and got into my dream school the same cycle, you'll be fine!!"
As students preparing for the MCAT, we should be well-aware that anecdotes are single data points and should not be viewed as representational of the larger trend.
I happen to have a connection with the dean of a major medical school, who made a point of telling me that it was very important to submit applications at the start of June.
Now, I had not yet scheduled my MCAT at the time I last spoke with him (early October) - so it was possible that he was suggesting more generally I should submit "June-ish" and take that into account in MCAT registration. I would go ask him a follow-up question about this, but I will be applying to the med school of which he is the dean and this would likely make me appear indecisive and weak. I know about submitting to a single school at start of June with no MCAT for early AAMC transcript verification etc. thing - so this is all assuming I have all my stuff in order at the end of June and take advantage of that.
NOTE: Yes, I acknowledge this is all very neurotic, but my approach and outlook is informed by the goal of achieving ~520, because this, coupled with a 3.87 sGPA, would allow me to exert control over where I will be living for the next four years.

- LATE APP QUESTION (anecdotal experience of applicant not useful): I would be interested in, based on your knowing/having spoken to/being adcoms (or those otherwise with inside knowledge of application process) or large samples of available data, an assessment of:

- Is testing May 19 (results June 19), giving me extra month to prepare, going to be a significant disadvantage relative to those submitting June 1?
I have heard some things about there being "delays" in the applications being received, even if submitted June 1, that minimizes/largely eliminates differences in applications submitted up to ~3 weeks into cycle, but this is a bit murky to me. If this point rings a bell with you, please elaborate on whether it's applicable with all schools and to June 19 submission date.

- TEST DATE AVAILABILITY QUESTION (anecdotal experience of applicant useful):

Testing May 5 and receiving results June 5 is not late enough into the month to make any effective difference relative to submitting June 1, correct?

Thanks again for taking the time to read as well as any and all input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: