Is Math Necessary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

probono

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many schools require Math??and Which ones?

Members don't see this ad.

?!?

*bangs head against wall and wails for humanity.

mvs04 said:
?!?

*bangs head against wall and wails for humanity.
I agree, MVS.

Probono, how about you try going to the websites of the different schools and checking for yourself? Here's a site with links to all the different schools: http://www.adea.org/links/default.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, Im worried that if i do not take math I will not be as competitive as other applicants..

Then you need to do research about what you are concerned about. That or just take the math classes. I'm not, but that will give you an edge over me. ;)

probono said:
Well, Im worried that if i do not take math I will not be as competitive as other applicants..

You make it sound like you are really bad in math. I think if you have bio courses that's relevant for dental school, that will make up for you not having any extra math courses. In my opinion, a physiology course is more relevant than multi-variable calculus. (Don't take me wrong, I think math has its own benefits as well)

probono said:

Not sure which ones require math, but they all require physics which requires math. Check with your undergrad school if you can take physics without taking math first. Even non-calculus physics for bio majors at my undergrad required that we at least take applied calculus to make sure we understood the fundamentals of physics and that proofs made at least some sense to us. Plus, there was some simple integration once in a while on tests.

Only a few require calculus(Harvard, etc). As far as a math prerequisites there really aren't any specific for dental schools. Most Universities, to graduate undergrad, require that you have at least the basics. My physics class required trigonometry as a prerequiste. Also the math section on the DAT is very difficult if you are not refreshed up on your algebra and arithmetic skills.

Our university only requires "college level" algebra (which is the same level of difficulty as what I took as a 9th grader) to graduate, and I've already tested out of it. Personally I don't see any reason why anything beyond algebra would be even moderately useful. It's just like physics, calculus and other higher math classes are just there to "thin the herd", which is bull****. But then again, I can't do anything about it except not apply to schools that mandate math (Penn being the notable example in my case).

Math is not my subject at all. Even College Algebra kills me :(

But hey, anything to go after my dream. It's just a small bump on my road.

But thank God I don't have to take calculus! :eek:

Dental Mom said:
Math is not my subject at all. Even College Algebra kills me :(

But hey, anything to go after my dream. It's just a small bump on my road.

But thank God I don't have to take calculus! :eek:

Time to study up then, because the GC and QR sections are not going away on the DAT anytime soon. Physics is also unlikely to be changed as a prereq.

crazy_sherm said:
Time to study up then, because the GC and QR sections are not going away on the DAT anytime soon. Physics is also unlikely to be changed as a prereq.

anytime soon? - does that mean the WILL in the future?

My brain CAN deal with physics with no problems.....but pure numbers scare me....childhood trauma I guess.

After having 2 children with NO epidural, I can do anything that comes after that! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea:

My advisor said to take Algebra and Trig--that's all :love:

Dental Mom said:
My brain CAN deal with physics with no problems.....but pure numbers scare me....childhood trauma I guess.

After having 2 children with NO epidural, I can do anything that comes after that! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea:

As a child growing up, I also and still do have a lot of trouble with math - here's what I do/did to improve.

MATH is all about two things:

1) concepts
2) practice

First, get down all of the concepts for each kind of problem (trig, solve for x, fractions -add, mult, div, sub, and so on)

Then, once you 'have' a brief understanding of the 'concepts' - you want to practice problems.

Note - after number 1 (concepts) although you have gone through the 'whole idea', you do not neccesarily 'know' them untill you number 2 (practice) enough problems for them to sink into your brain.

TRY THIS IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS - hope this helps?

probono said:

6 semester hours of mathematics for BU.

Dental Mom said:

Students seem to enjoy trig a lot even if they suck at math. Once you've practiced the concepts over and over again (good post by ianwright) it'll just come natrually and once that does you'll be taking calculus just for fun.

UW09 said:
Students seem to enjoy trig a lot even if they suck at math. Once you've practiced the concepts over and over again (good post by ianwright) it'll just come natrually and once that does you'll be taking calculus just for fun.

Dear Lord! I hope so! I even had therapy this semester. A friend game few hypnosis treatments to relax about math. My biggest fear was to fail and lower my GPA. I had to drop the class. I'm better now, but not very ready to take math again in the Fall--but I have to and I will :smuggrin: :eek: :confused: :D :scared:

Do the dental schools consider the AP CALC from highschool? and I wanted to add a thanks for everyone that attempted to help me answer my question

probono said:
Do the dental schools consider the AP CALC from highschool? and I wanted to add a thanks for everyone that attempted to help me answer my question

yes, most schools will allow you to use AP credit toward completing prereqs. So if you took it in high school, you should be ok.