Is math that important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azaila

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out that fair amount of medical schools don't require mathmatics but recommend students to take it, and is that mean that they would prefer students who took the math than the ones who didn't? that it would be such a disadvantage for students who didn't take math? I want to know if I can still go to good medical school that doesn't require math as long as I do well in other areas.

Members don't see this ad.

nurse, please give this patient 2mg/kg * 80kg = 10,000 kg of morphine.

You can get into med schools that don't require math without taking math... the thing is, you can't get into med schools that do require math without taking math.

Do you really want to start limiting your choices this early just because of a class (a relatively easy class)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, dude, you are screwed if you're afraid of math. Suck it up, use your fingers and toes if you have to, and take the _1_ math course that medical schools require/recommend.

I think that in this day and age, having a facility in mathematics, especially calculus is nearly essential. I would take the first installment of Calculus at the least, but this is coming from someone who uses Calc III frequently in his classes... You may well run across these principles if you do research some day. Don't limit yourself!

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who are good at math and those who aren't.

I wouldn't think math is needed directly, but it'll make your life easier in the long run as you complete your basic science pre-requisites, such as Gen Chem, Physics, etc.

Good luck!

If you don't take math you will not get into Harvard and will therefore be forced to attend a ****ty med school.

I don't think calculus level math is needed in med school, however you are expected to have some mathematical understanding and shouldn't be afraid of math. We use mathematical concepts quite often, however they aren't difficult. (Henreich Hasselbach equation and a whole bunch of physiological equations)

I've never been good at math, my C in Calculus I was enough to prepare me for math used in med school.

On second thought, a knowledge in statistics is also somewhat important in addition to basic math concepts. This was another "math" course that I took that was helpful.