Is Mayo SMP-friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WakeDominates

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The '08-'09 MSAR states that 21% of Mayo Med School's most recent entering class had a graduate degree. This % is higher than most schools. So, I was wondering whether Mayo is SMP-friendly (meaning that they are relatively more prone to accept students with a low ugrad GPA, if they had done well in an SMP). I realize that Mayo is ridiculously tough to get into. But if it likes SMP students, then I thought I might include it amongst my reach schools.

Thanks for your input.
 
The '08-'09 MSAR states that 21% of Mayo Med School's most recent entering class had a graduate degree. This % is higher than most schools. So, I was wondering whether Mayo is SMP-friendly (meaning that they are relatively more prone to accept students with a low ugrad GPA, if they had done well in an SMP). I realize that Mayo is ridiculously tough to get into. But if it likes SMP students, then I thought I might include it amongst my reach schools.

Thanks for your input.

My guess is that very few if any of the Mayo class attended an SMP.

SMP is a last ditch effort to resurrect a sub par GPA. I doubt if many SMPers get accepted to any of the top schools ("top" as defined by rankings, etc).