Is McGlamry necessary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CATSandKILOS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having buyer's remorse after purchasing McGlamry's at the national convention. The vendor was selling it for $250 and everyone and their mother was buying a copy.

Is this book necessary / will it be used enough to warrant spending the money on it? Or will it just become an expensive seat for my cat? :(

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having buyer's remorse after purchasing McGlamry's at the national convention. The vendor was selling it for $250 and everyone and their mother was buying a copy.

Is this book necessary / will it be used enough to warrant spending the money on it? Or will it just become an expensive seat for my cat? :(

Thanks!
Necessary, no. Since you have it though I would use it. I read the entire thing cover to cover as a resident because I find it more reader friendly than Coughlin and Mann. You'll find that some programs really like McGlamry and some really like Coughlin. A lot of places don't really care as long as you have some textbook to look at. I still look at McGlamry sometimes just like I do Coughlin and Mann. It's good to look at to get a better idea of indications of a procedure as well as some background and history. It's not great for step-by-step instructions (Easley is better for that) but it's still worthwhile, IMO

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have not taken them yet, but I hear its pretty good for board certification.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks!

Money spent on knowledge is never a waste.. I didn't read it cover to cover, nor did I find a big portion of it helpful, but every now and then I'll find gems that makes it all worth it. You may not even touch it as a student but I guarantee you'll be glad to have this resource as a resident

Reactions: 1 user
I have not taken them yet, but I hear its pretty good for board certification.
To be honest, I think this sentiment is sort of misleading. I think that McGlamrys is good for boards, but so is Mann. I still like the PI manual for a quick study guide. Like I said, I did read McGlamrys cover to cover during my 3rd year of residency (maybe started 2nd year), and I don't know that I was any more prepared than my co-residents who used Boards by Numbers or something else.

I'm just talking about surgical (ABFAS) boards.

Thanks!

I missed my chance to buy it at a discounted price at the Podiatry Conference in NYC due to a snowstorm, so I purchased McGlamry's from Barnes & Noble at its naturally high price. $250 is a steal. I just started my externships and I've found it invaluable. However, I haven't compared it to Coughlin and Mann. It should be noted that I use it in my research in preparation for pimping during surgical procedures & my presentations. When the director asks for my source and I say McGlamry's he's pleased. The academic residents on the team have read some chapters several times over and can tell when my answers reflect the information they've read.

There is basically no text book which is a waste of money. It's only a waste of money if you don't take advantage of what the book has to offer. There are no perfect textbooks. Every book has it's pros and cons, and there will always be useful information you can utilize in daily practice. I still believe that McGlammary is an excellent resource, but should not be your only resource. Nor should any other textbook.

Reactions: 3 users