Is measuring vital signs allowed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncertainUgrad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So part of my clinical volunteering experience allowed me to measure and monitor patient vitals (e.g. Blood pressure). I'm wondering if this is within the acceptable realm of things that a premed can do so that I can list on AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

So part of my clinical volunteering experience allowed me to measure and monitor patient vitals (e.g. Blood pressure). I'm wondering if this is within the acceptable realm of things that a premed can do so that I can list on AMCAS.
Taking BPs isn't always as intuitive as one might think. Have you been trained to take them properly, and on how many types of devices?

Reactions: 1 user

Taking vitals is definitely within the acceptable realm but were you trained to do it, i.e. was it within your scope of practice? If it wasn't, I wouldn't mention it. Was it on an automated cuff? That's a lot easier and I could imagine any pre-med could do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there's too much obsession with this idea of what medical experience is OK for you to have and what isn't

I think in the descriptions of such activities as long as you emphasize working closely under the supervision of a doc or RN, most things should be OK

I did an overseas medical mission and never got flak, I went with a fairly respected group, was closely supervised and didn't do anything too crazy
I also emphasized that part of the mission was language immersion, and that's generally going to be your most respected reason for going abroad anyway

I don't see the difference between an undergrad someone being trained by a capable provider to give vaccines in a developing country where that is legal and a newly minted MS1 doing the same

the only difference is in malpractice coverage and in people's minds where they imagine that the sacredness of the med school gates somehow makes "see one do one teach one" less terrifying than it actually is

I do hope you received good training on how to take a BP properly on whatever equipment you used

I think there's too much obsession with this idea of what medical experience is OK for you to have and what isn't

I think in the descriptions of such activities as long as you emphasize working closely under the supervision of a doc or RN, most things should be OK

I did an overseas medical mission and never got flak, I went with a fairly respected group, was closely supervised and didn't do anything too crazy
I also emphasized that part of the mission was language immersion, and that's generally going to be your most respected reason for going abroad anyway

I don't see the difference between an undergrad someone being trained by a capable provider to give vaccines in a developing country where that is legal and a newly minted MS1 doing the same

the only difference is in malpractice coverage and in people's minds where they imagine that the sacredness of the med school gates somehow makes "see one do one teach one" less terrifying than it actually is

I do hope you received good training on how to take a BP properly on whatever equipment you used

I agree. There is no difference between a volunteer taking BP and a medical student taking BP readings. It's a skill that can be taught and learned, there is no magical difference that somehow someone in med school does it better than a premed. This whole medical legal bull**** that's prevalent in America is destroying medical education as we know it. More and more interns come into residency knowing almost nothing of basic procedures or exam skills just because they were not allowed to do them as medical students. It's extremely sad. They don't know how to put IVs, take out central lines or chest tubes. I understand you don't want a first timer doing it but everyone has to start at some point. Ridiculous.

/end rant

Reactions: 1 users
I agree. There is no difference between a volunteer taking BP and a medical student taking BP readings. It's a skill that can be taught and learned, there is no magical difference that somehow someone in med school does it better than a premed. This whole medical legal bull**** that's prevalent in America is destroying medical education as we know it. More and more interns come into residency knowing almost nothing of basic procedures or exam skills just because they were not allowed to do them as medical students. It's extremely sad. They don't know how to put IVs, take out central lines or chest tubes. I understand you don't want a first timer doing it but everyone has to start at some point. Ridiculous.

/end rant

Wait what? Isn't the whole point of clinical years to learn and be competent in doing basic and intermediate procedures and exam skills? And the point of fourth year especially is to prepare MS4s to be excellent interns thanks to sub-Is and aways in specialties of interest?

Because from what you are saying, it sounds like medical schools are doing a very horrible job in preparing and training students to be very effective future residents. And that is worrisome.

1) Wait what? Isn't the whole point of clinical years to learn and be competent in doing basic and intermediate procedures and exam skills? And the point of fourth year especially is to prepare MS4s to be excellent interns thanks to sub-Is and aways in specialties of interest?

2) Because from what you are saying, it sounds like medical schools are doing a very horrible job in preparing and training students to be very effective future residents. And that is worrisome.
1) Yes. It should be.

2) All med schools' clinical rotation sites aren't the same. It seems some provide a glorified shadowing experience with minimal hands-on and others have a requirement to complete a check-list of competencies in basic and advanced procedures.