Is median or average MCAT a better representation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woltej1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
title says it all pretty much. I never took a stats class so I'm not too familiar with which one would be better for determining the best representation of a schools accepted MCAT. My guess is median as it gets rid of outliers and since most schools list a median score.

Members don't see this ad.

Median as well as percentiles are generally the most used stats (especially since that's what MSAR provides), but this isn't exactly the most precise work, or an exact science, I don't think the few outliers with extremely high or low scores is really going to throw the mean value so far one way that you wouldn't be able to tell if a school was a good stat fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Median as well as percentiles are generally the most used stats (especially since that's what MSAR provides), but this isn't exactly the most precise work, or an exact science, I don't think the few outliers with extremely high or low scores is really going to throw the mean value so far one way that you wouldn't be able to tell if a school was a good stat fit for you.

Right. When data is skewed the median becomes a more accurate measure of central tendency.

Reactions: 1 user