Is medical education biased against introverts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess if you want to say you’re being more respectful, fine. I don’t think it’s particularly disrespectful to point out that people blame their poor social skills on introversion because it means they don’t have to work on themselves.
I don't disagree that it doesn't happen, but the poster seemed to assume that that was the problem facing the OP and other posters without any additional context. Where we might differ is that you saw it as more of a general statement, but I had taken it as a passive-aggressive knock on the OP and likeminded posters. In the end though, I feel that my interpretation of the situation was a fair one

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Introversion/extroversion is widely accepted as an immutable personality trait, and knowing this about yourself can help in relationships and career choices, which again, is not at all related to social skills. There are extroverted people who are painfully socially inept, and you're actually more likely to notice these types since they spread the awkwardness around instead of keeping it to themselves.
I asked this because of a conversation I had with an attending who said that introverts like herself were at a disadvantage in medical education. I was thinking about this as Step 1 and the preclinical years becomes P/F if quieter students who thrive better in individualized learning environments have less of a chance to shine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't disagree that it doesn't happen, but the poster seemed to assume that that was the problem facing the OP and other posters without any additional context. Where we might differ is that you saw it as more of a general statement, but I had taken it as a passive-aggressive knock on the OP and likeminded posters. In the end though, I feel that my interpretation of the situation was a fair one

I think we just read it differently. I read his post more as a general statement than directed specifically at the OP. As a statement directed toward the OP, I agree with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apathy for other people is also not at all related to introversion.

I think he means, "The drain it'll put on me to interact with this person isn't outweighed by the oodles and toodles of love I have for them!"

That’s a bit of a stretch to get there from “I don’t care much for you” lol

Loool I feel like we exaggerate or are imprecise with our words online sometimes; so in jest, I was trying to help him look like less of a villain. I stand corrected if that's what he really meant haha

• Haha
Loool I feel like we exaggerate or are imprecise with our words online sometimes; so in jest, I was trying to help him look like less of a villain. I stand corrected if that's what he really meant haha

Yea I figured y'all would pick up on the fact that there was some tongue in cheek in that statement. I don't actually dislike every person I come across, I just don't NEED that social interaction and don't like to go out of my way to get it like some people do.

Reactions: 1 user