is medical school going to be like high school again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just wonder if this means people form cliques again and I'm unpopular again. The beauty of college was that you didn't have to attend class if you wanted to and you could remain anonymous. That seems harder to do in a class of less than 200. I'm sure in the end we'll know everyone by name. Does everyone just get along? Let's be honest the great thing in college was that if you didn't like someone, you probably have to see or work with them ever again. I ask b/c my school just sent me information about orientation. Apparently we're going on a class field trip to the museum or the aquarium...

Members don't see this ad.

we're going on a class field trip to the museum or the aquarium...
:barf:

Yes it's just like HS, yes there will be cliques, yes you will know everyone by name, and yes you will desperately miss college by the end of the first week. However, no, you won't necessarily be unpopular again. Keep in mind that most of your class is also very, very socially inept. It's like entering a beauty contest at Walmart: if you're within spitting distance of normal you'll at least place. Now is your time to shine.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just wonder if this means people form cliques again and I'm unpopular again. The beauty of college was that you didn't have to attend class if you wanted to and you could remain anonymous. That seems harder to do in a class of less than 200. I'm sure in the end we'll know everyone by name. Does everyone just get along? Let's be honest the great thing in college was that if you didn't like someone, you probably have to see or work with them ever again. I ask b/c my school just sent me information about orientation. Apparently we're going on a class field trip to the museum or the aquarium...

What attracted you to medicine? It is, ya know, a bit of a team sport. You will not be able to have any sort of anonymity. But as the above poster mentioned, these are the wierdest people you have ever come in contact with. Seriously, you'll see when you get there. Nothing to worry about.

I dunno, my HS had about 4,000 students. I am still boggling at the idea of a class size under 150 in most cases. I can't even imagine what it will be like.

Yeah, it's like Gossip Girl, but for nerds.

The difference is that in med school, everyone is a nerd, no jocks/cheerleaders to make you feel socially inferior. The only inferiority you may feel is academic inferiority compared to people who are more nerdy than you.

Yes it's just like HS, yes there will be cliques, yes you will know everyone by name, and yes you will desperately miss college by the end of the first week. However, no, you won't necessarily be unpopular again. Keep in mind that most of your class is also very, very socially inept. It's like entering a beauty contest at Walmart: if you're within spitting distance of normal you'll at least place. Now is your time to shine.

:laugh:

The difference is that in med school, everyone is a nerd, no jocks/cheerleaders to make you feel inferior.
Not true. Where do all the Ortho and Derm residents come from? :smuggrin:

man HS was so hard for me. Compared to that undergrad was cake for me

I think that med school is only like high school in terms of drama. Because the classes are smaller and everyone is taking the same thing with everyone else, rumors and gossip spread like fire.

It's also like college in that no one cares where your from or your past social ineptitude, you study on your own, don't have to go to class, etc.

It's not as bad as it sounds.

The difference is that in med school, everyone is a nerd, no jocks/cheerleaders to make you feel socially inferior. The only inferiority you may feel is academic inferiority compared to people who are more nerdy than you.

I enjoy your avatar.

Not true. Where do all the Ortho and Derm residents come from? :smuggrin:

True true, but they would probably make you feel inferior with their super high board scores anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
no, i got along with people in HS. I don't want to imply i'm anti-social. at the same time, though, i don't have the best memories from being labeled as a "nerd" b/c I studied all the time or took all the AP courses.

Even in college I think people are sort of sensitive about grades even among friends. Of course, when it's your friends that do well you're happy for them. When it came to other people in your class, though, I think we only had superficial encounters and were more likely to withhold any sort of judgment.

I guess in medical school that fear is a little overblown since EVERYBODY should be studying super hard. Still I hope I don't upset anyone if I'm the one who turns down the offer to get a drink at the bar (since I don't drink any alcohol) and just want to stay in my room to study. After all, I'm supposed to be working with these people for the next 4 years...

i'm just saying i saw a lot of good-looking surfer type people on interviews...of course those were the tour guides. Perhaps they wanted to put their best faces forward?

Last edited:
LOL this is awesome. I want to use it in my sig. With such a small class im sure its HS or junior high all over again only with alcohol involved. Every interview i was on it was like a bunch of kids who didnt want to admit they were nerds and tried to give off this i party non stop attitude to seem like they were awesome, but it just has the opposite affect when you try that hard;). A lot of the people i met @ interviews seemed normal to me though is it really that bad? Or maybe did they seem normal to me becuase im weird like them? haha

no, i got along with people in HS. I don't want to imply i'm anti-social. at the same time, though, i don't have the best memories from being labeled as a "nerd" b/c I studied all the time or took all the AP courses.

Even in college I think people are sort of sensitive about grades even among friends. Of course, when it's your friends that do well you're happy for them. When it came to other people in your class, though, I think we only had superficial encounters and were more likely to withhold any sort of judgment.

I guess in medical school that fear is a little overblown since EVERYBODY should be studying super hard. Still I hope I don't upset anyone if I'm the one who turns down the offer to get a drink at the bar (since I don't drink any alcohol) and just want to stay in my room to study. After all, I'm supposed to be working with these people for the next 4 years...

i'm just saying i saw a lot of good-looking surfer type people on interviews...of course those were the tour guides. Perhaps they wanted to put their best faces forward?
being good looking doesnt mean you wont be socially awkward/inept.

Hey Bravo, see you at Coney Island (I think). I got those papers too >_>

I think it will be exactly like high school.

I see so many types of premeds that if they were all to make it then medical school would be just as cliquey.

you have some with huge egos, quiet achievers, comic book fans, hippies, goths, you get the idea

:rofl:

I enjoy your avatar.
Have you ever played the game?

I think it will be exactly like high school.

I see so many types of premeds that if they were all to make it then medical school would be just as cliquey.

you have some with huge egos, quiet achievers, comic book fans, hippies, goths, you get the idea
jv jocks, varsity jocks, unfriendly black hotties, asian nerds, cool asians, girls who eat their feelings, girls who don't eat anything, sexually active band geeks, art freaks, and, of course, the plastics.

jv jocks, varsity jocks, unfriendly black hotties, asian nerds, cool asians, girls who eat their feelings, girls who don't eat anything, sexually active band geeks, art freaks, and, of course, the plastics.
lol i was forced to watch this movie again lately...

:thumbup: You go, Glen Coco.

Beware of med school drama. It sucks you in and spits you out quick-like. In that way..it is a lot like high school. Except everyone is way, way smarter.

I loved high school. Med school is going to rox.

:laugh:

hahah, can someone describe what they mean by med school "drama"?

Was high school really that dramatic for everyone? Sure there were cliques and stuff but it's not like it's Degrassi.

Exactly what it sounds like. People hooking up, friends being made and unmade, people judging each other left and right, and cliques. I'm not gonna lie, you'll probably figure out who's worth your time and who's not during your orientation week. It's funny posting this on SDN since most of the people on this board are probably the ones who spend more time studying and less time trying to snobberize and socialize as it were.

To the OP: yes it's a lot like high school. You have a smaller class even than HS (probably) and you hang around certain people every single day. On top of that 90% of the people you meet are going to have egos the size of an aircraft carrier. I was also one of the less popular kids in high school because of my interests and the fact that I actually put in the time to study whereas others coasted by with flattery and charm. You're going to encounter plenty of that in medical school.

That being said, most peoples' egos get crushed to a pulp by end of first year/beginning of second year when they realize they're not as hot s3!t as they think they are and when board studying starts, everyone is beaten to a pile of goo. Then the fun part (read: third year) comes when everyone is separated into groups and you all are forced to make friends with each other--even if you were bitter enemies--just to stay sane.

So... you'll be alright, bravo. I feel your pain because I was in much the same situation you are. Some stuff came out good, some not so good, but it'll be okay.

Last edited:

I saw this and felt the need to address it as it seems nobody else has. As in college there are people who don't drink, and there are also people who study hard. This is perfectly normal. Sometimes yes this means you will have to miss a social engagement but frankly you're in medical school to become a doctor and succeed to the best of your abilities. The guy going out to get a drink when you're studying probably either already studied earlier or doesn't care enough to study hard for exams--both of which are fine. However if you really want to do well you need to focus on what's best for yourself, and not for others. It sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Ultimately, don't try too hard to make friends. You WILL make friends and you'll find out who you fit in with and who respects you. Just have a bit of faith.

EDIT: Last bit I thought needed to be added was that if you're going straight out of college you're also going to be meeting people much much older than you as well as people your age or younger. So keep that in mind.

I was amazed at how much med school was like high school. Gossip is rampant, there's definetely a few people who get completely left out, and some people who think they're the absolute social bomb. People will brag about how they got drunk the night before the test, and you'll wonder if they're telling the truth because you studied all night. People will brag about both how much and how little they study.

My personal pet peeve is when people talk about how "This topic is ONLY appropriate for primary care, and since I'M going to be an anesthesiologist, I shouldn't have to be here!"

I'm actually playing the second one right now :)
Word! I was quite pleased with myself for the "No Man Left Behind" achievement I got on my first (and currently, only) play through. I won't say anything else. :D

I am hoping to play through it again, but first I need to finish ME1 with the character I want to use.

Word! I was quite pleased with myself for the "No Man Left Behind" achievement I got on my first (and currently, only) play through. I won't say anything else. :D

I am hoping to play through it again, but first I need to finish ME1 with the character I want to use.

"I'm commander Shepard and this is my favorite icon" would have been more appropriate :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-eRfupYbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PjTuSQNLI4&feature=related

It's true you know...
haha

I hated high school because you saw the same people every day, every body knew who you were. I LOVED the anonymity that college offered, classes were large, I knew nobody, nobody knew me, not my classmates, not my professors. I loved that atmosphere. Thanks for this thread.

"I'm commander Shepard and this is my favorite icon" would have been more appropriate :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-eRfupYbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PjTuSQNLI4&feature=related

It's true you know...
haha

"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite icon on the Citadel SDN."

Thank you for the compliment, Samara is tantalizingly hot, as are all Asari. Mordin is pretty cool too, I'm sure he'd automatically be accepted to Harvard's MD/PhD program if he applied.

Geekchick, congrats on the achievement, it is pretty hard to get if you don't follow the objectives in the right order.

These are probably my favorite random convos (among hundreds) in the game (no spoilers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Fsng6KUX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQCf4303lKo

...I know I'm getting off topic, I'll stop now

If you guys want to be anonymous, don't show up for anything until the final exam. Problem solved:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnMBVYAPqtQ[/YOUTUBE]

If you guys want to be anonymous, don't show up for anything until the final exam. Problem solved:

Yeah, except for small groups, labs, required lectures, class meetings and clinical experiences. There is honestly no totally escaping your classmates.

Yeah anatomy for us (PBL based, everything student run) was required attendance for almost everything, so that was hell for the students who'd rather just not make the drive to school or whatever.

"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite icon on the Citadel SDN."

Thank you for the compliment, Samara is tantalizingly hot, as are all Asari. Mordin is pretty cool too, I'm sure he'd automatically be accepted to Harvard's MD/PhD program if he applied.

Geekchick, congrats on the achievement, it is pretty hard to get if you don't follow the objectives in the right order.

These are probably my favorite random convos (among hundreds) in the game (no spoilers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Fsng6KUX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQCf4303lKo

...I know I'm getting off topic, I'll stop now

great game...

yeah i've been wondering the same thing. I actually wonder, will med school be "fun" in the sense that you're all studying together, suffering together, but then partying together? A lot of my fun in college came from just chilling with friends after class (becuase we had the same schedules) or taking study breaks during exam time, or celebrating after a tough exam. I actually had fun while I was studying because I knew my friends were all nearby and I could just talk to them whenever and was around them all the time. I just ended up getting pretty close to them that way. I dunno, I just feel like med school will be kind of like a bonding experience and that you just get REALLY close to your classmates (moreso than you did in high school) because you're with them a lot. Of course there will be drama and people you hate, but I'm sure you'll just get to know people a lot better. Am I right? Or an idealist?

Med school.... fun. Most happy, fun year of my life (MS1)(serious). Some great friends from undergrad are still with me. A few good new friends were made too. Study and do well on exams and then during block exams, get drunk and dance. Repeat.

I almost always study alone. I can't do the group thing because I procrastinate... so when others are studying, I know nothing. When I'm studying, I have to study FAST to catch up so I can't talk to others... Haha

I rarely go to class yet there is enough interaction because of small groups and partying. But just like in HS, there are lots of groups. Different kinds of people exist :) Most people are just fine- some are *****holes.

Many of my classmates dated someone within our class. A couple of my classmates dated multiple people in our class. Very prone to drama. One of my classmates dated an attending. One couple got married during M4 year.

I was usually outside of the drama loop, as were most of the married folks. I usually only found out about people dating when I saw them holding hands in the hallway :love: or if they personally told me.

Many of my classmates dated someone within our class. A couple of my classmates dated multiple people in our class. Very prone to drama. One of my classmates dated an attending. One couple got married during M4 year.

I was usually outside of the drama loop, as were most of the married folks. I usually only found out about people dating when I saw them holding hands in the hallway :love: or if they personally told me.

There has already been one engagement in our class. Plus various other couples popping up throughout the year.

Med school is very cliquey just like high school, but the difference is that they don't socially isolate themselves. I see the same sorts of groups as high school (rich kids, nerds, jocks, hot girls, etc) but they're not too good to talk to you.. they'll all be your friend. It was pretty surprising to me.

Med school is very cliquey just like high school, but the difference is that they don't socially isolate themselves. I see the same sorts of groups as high school (rich kids, nerds, jocks, hot girls, etc) but they're not too good to talk to you.. they'll all be your friend. It was pretty surprising to me.

Aww that's kinda nice. For me, the worst part of high school was that different cliques wouldn't associate themselves with you if you weren't cool enough for them. Having cliques in med school without having the caste-like system that exists in high school sounds pretty cool.

If I don't have a facebook will everyone think I'm an antisocial freak (which I am)?
You have over 200 posts here so you can't absolutely hate talking to people.

Why would you want to ostracize yourself? I don't know you personally at all, I've never seen any of your other posts, but I just have to wonder why anyone would wake up and say "I hope no one talks to me because i'm an antisocial freak". Facebook is a means of conversation, if it'll help you get to know other people why wouldn't you swallow whatever reason you have and just make one?

If trolling, well played