Is medical school REALLY that stressful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nailossel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am feeling a little lost with whether I should pursue medicine, and I am reaching out to SDN because I am looking for all the help I can find with making this lifelong decision and need your insight.

I am a third-year in undergrad, and I go to a top ivy league. My scores are very good, and I really like chemistry and biology. I also love to help people, and enjoy volunteering.

I want to become an MD, and have shadowed a lot and feel that I would enjoy it. However, from reading online and talking to people a lot about medical school, I am becoming scared. It seems like there is no free time during medical school, and it is just continuous stress. I already feel that I am stressed in undergrad, and I am afraid of tacking on another 4 years of continual stress, and then even more stress with residency.

I hear so many people saying that they threw their life away by going to medical school, sacrificing the best years of their life with their nose in the books. Is it really like that?? Is there no time to enjoy your 20's, to date, to have fun, while you are in med school? Lifestyle is important to me, and if the seven-year med school + residency process is that much of a sacrifice to your sleep, relationships, and well-being, is it really worth it? I just feel like I am constantly trying to tell myself that the things I read online about medical school are skewed out of proportion, and that it is possible to be happy and have a life in med school. But can someone here shed some more light on this and tell me what it's really like? How similar is it to undergrad at an ivy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People say this in every career you can imagine. Internet forums and casual conversation tend to skew what you hear towards the negatives, people love to complain.

There is tons of information already available here on what the course load and stress levels are typically like, but only you are going to be able to figure out whether or not you're ready.

Reactions: 1 user
pick a school where the culture of the students is good and vibrant. You should be busy in medical school of course, but there should be casual free time to spend with colleagues like for example: people join dance teams, and acapallas.

Members don't see this ad :)
The med school experience is what you choose to make of it. You can be as successful student and have a life. But in will not BS you - this path requires sacrifice. Not all encompassing sacrifice but certainly the kind that as a 21/22 yr old you just can't really put into perspective.

As for med school being comparable to a top ivy. I don't know - it would depend on what you majored in and if your school inflated or deflated grades. I went to a top school that deflated while pursuing a very tough course of study - so med school is in some ways less difficult.

Honestly it's good that you have all the ECs of a good pre med but I would suggest you take some time off before med school. You need to experience life outside of school a bit before you make such a major commitment.

So overall - is med school really that stressful? It can be.

It's not continuous stress. You have free time. Is it more stressful than undergrad and you will have less free time. I am 22 years old and I have found that I can still have fun. I have plenty of time to do things outside of medical school. I don't feel like I am "throwing away" my 20s. I am working towards something I really really want to do and although it's hard and can be stressful and sometimes I feel like there isn't enough time to do everything, I still find the time to enjoy myself outside of medicine. I'm not always studying, but I'm studying a hell of a lot more than I did in undergrad. Whether or not its worth it is something only you can answer. It is possible to be happy and have a life in medical school, but you will have to make sacrifices.

Here's my experience:

I came from an Ivy League undergrad, took no time off, and now go to an Ivy League medical school. I am working harder, longer, and faster than I did at any point in undergrad. My easiest weeks here are about as hard as my hardest weeks in undergrad. Picture taking the best students from your school and populating a class of 150 or so people with them and that's my med school class. No matter where you went to undergrad and where you go to medical school, they are different. The purpose is different. The experience is different. The responsibility is different. You aren't learning for yourself anymore; you're learning so that in the future, you will be able to help other people. Your mindset has to be different. That being said, once you become good at time management, you find that you have enough time to do what you want to do. People here act in operas, direct plays, play sports, go hiking, go out clubbing and to bars, play music, compete in marathons - name something that normal people do and I guarantee you that someone here does it.

I'm not going to tell you it's easy or that it's right for everyone because that's not true. But it's manageable and if you really want to do it, I think it's 110% worth it.

That is all.

Reactions: 16 users
I'm only in my first year and, although some people claim it to be one of the more stressful years in medical school, l can't say it has been miserable. I'm actually having a lot of fun. I usually go out 1-2 times a week unless there are multiple exams that week or during finals. However, I do study every day for about 5-6 hours. It's all about time management. Wake up early, get your studying done and you'll find that you have plenty of time to enjoy other things.

Reactions: 3 users
It's not continuous stress. You have free time. Is it more stressful than undergrad and you will have less free time. I am 22 years old and I have found that I can still have fun. I have plenty of time to do things outside of medical school. I don't feel like I am "throwing away" my 20s. I am working towards something I really really want to do and although it's hard and can be stressful and sometimes I feel like there isn't enough time to do everything, I still find the time to enjoy myself outside of medicine. I'm not always studying, but I'm studying a hell of a lot more than I did in undergrad. Whether or not its worth it is something only you can answer. It is possible to be happy and have a life in medical school, but you will have to make sacrifices.

Here's my experience:

I came from an Ivy League undergrad, took no time off, and now go to an Ivy League medical school. I am working harder, longer, and faster than I did at any point in undergrad. My easiest weeks here are about as hard as my hardest weeks in undergrad. Picture taking the best students from your school and populating a class of 150 or so people with them and that's my med school class. No matter where you went to undergrad and where you go to medical school, they are different. The purpose is different. The experience is different. The responsibility is different. You aren't learning for yourself anymore; you're learning so that in the future, you will be able to help other people. Your mindset has to be different. That being said, once you become good at time management, you find that you have enough time to do what you want to do. People here act in operas, direct plays, play sports, go hiking, go out clubbing and to bars, play music, compete in marathons - name something that normal people do and I guarantee you that someone here does it.

I'm not going to tell you it's easy or that it's right for everyone because that's not true. But it's manageable and if you really want to do it, I think it's 110% worth it.

That is all.
Well said! Gives me hope for when I start later this year. Unrelated notes:
1. Good to see the Gyrados again.
2. I had no idea you were younger than me, no idea why.
3. Got the WL at Columbia, ugh.

Well said! Gives me hope for when I start later this year. Unrelated notes:
1. Good to see the Gyrados again.
2. I had no idea you were younger than me, no idea why.
3. Got the WL at Columbia, ugh.

1. I decided to cycle back around
2. You're not the first to make that mistake :p
3. I'm sorry to hear that :( feel free to PM me if you have questions

1. I decided to cycle back around
2. You're not the first to make that mistake :p
3. I'm sorry to hear that :( feel free to PM me if you have questions

No need to feel bad! I loved the school, it was probably my favorite out of those where I interviewed. But to be honest I absolutely detest NYC.

Okay done derailing for now, sorry OP! :p

Medical school isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. I've had a love-hate relationship with it myself, and really just can't wait for second year to be over. I've had enough time to maintain my relationship and friendships thusfar, though it has been difficult to balance everything. First year was so hellish I damn near lost my mind, but second year has been more manageable (my school is a bit frontloaded compared to many others) so I'm at least feeling much better than last year. A lot of my younger classmates with less responsibilities have managed to have a great time throughout school, actually.

Medical school isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. I've had a love-hate relationship with it myself, and really just can't wait for second year to be over. I've had enough time to maintain my relationship and friendships thusfar, though it has been difficult to balance everything. First year was so hellish I damn near lost my mind, but second year has been more manageable (my school is a bit frontloaded compared to many others) so I'm at least feeling much better than last year. A lot of my younger classmates with less responsibilities have managed to have a great time throughout school, actually.

I had a similar experience. Third year is more enjoyable for me personally, although much busier. In retrospect what I liked about the first two years was the ability to use my time how I wanted. In third year you have much less of a say in how you spend your time. Also as an older student it can be a bit weird to work with residents who are younger than you are (I doubt you'll have a problem dealing with this, but it's worth mentioning/keeping in mind).

Hello everyone. I am feeling a little lost with whether I should pursue medicine, and I am reaching out to SDN because I am looking for all the help I can find with making this lifelong decision and need your insight.

I am a third-year in undergrad, and I go to a top ivy league. My scores are very good, and I really like chemistry and biology. I also love to help people, and enjoy volunteering.

I want to become an MD, and have shadowed a lot and feel that I would enjoy it. However, from reading online and talking to people a lot about medical school, I am becoming scared. It seems like there is no free time during medical school, and it is just continuous stress. I already feel that I am stressed in undergrad, and I am afraid of tacking on another 4 years of continual stress, and then even more stress with residency.

I hear so many people saying that they threw their life away by going to medical school, sacrificing the best years of their life with their nose in the books. Is it really like that?? Is there no time to enjoy your 20's, to date, to have fun, while you are in med school? Lifestyle is important to me, and if the seven-year med school + residency process is that much of a sacrifice to your sleep, relationships, and well-being, is it really worth it? I just feel like I am constantly trying to tell myself that the things I read online about medical school are skewed out of proportion, and that it is possible to be happy and have a life in med school. But can someone here shed some more light on this and tell me what it's really like? How similar is it to undergrad at a top ivy?

It's really not that bad especially in the preclinical years. I study my 4-6 hours a day (ie I eat my 5 pancakes) and the rest of the day is mine. Still see my GF nearly every weekend and make time for friends.

However if you are a stress-monger then you might be in for a different experience. I definitely see those people in the library face down in a book not having slept in days. So really it comes down to you and experiences my vary.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah it's pretty stressful i got shingles

Here's my experience:

That is all.

The fans want to know Wedge, was it a mid ivy? Med school might be a joke for someone from a top ivy.

Reactions: 2 users
The med school experience is what you choose to make of it. You can be as successful student and have a life. But in will not BS you - this path requires sacrifice. Not all encompassing sacrifice but certainly the kind that as a 21/22 yr old you just can't really put into perspective.

As for med school being comparable to a top ivy. I don't know - it would depend on what you majored in and if your school inflated or deflated grades. I went to a top school that deflated while pursuing a very tough course of study - so med school is in some ways less difficult.

Honestly it's good that you have all the ECs of a good pre med but I would suggest you take some time off before med school. You need to experience life outside of school a bit before you make such a major commitment.

So overall - is med school really that stressful? It can be.
to add to this, I strongly recommend taking the mcat before you take your time off. My years would certainly be happy and galore without worrying for this one test

I've heard many med students say that it's nice because unlike undergrad, you're not spread so thin and school is your main focus.

I haven't been to medical school yet, but here's my perception. Medical school will definitely be a lot of work. There are classes, exams, group sessions, and many other responsibilities you may or may not have depending on which medical school you go to. But have you learned how to balance your life as an undergrad? There are classes, exams, group sessions, and many other responsibilities associated with college life in general. And yet, people find time to date, go on trips, and have fun. From what I understand based on my interactions with medical students, it seems like medical school is similar. Tons of work, but if you are smart with your time you can find a decent school-life balance.

Additionally, it's important to consider your own thoughts on the matter. You have to decide if medicine is worth the sacrifice for you, because there will be times when it must be a priority over more "fun" activities. Some specialties allow more of a comfortable lifestyle than others. Would you be willing to sacrifice some entertainment to get into such a specialty? Would you even like the work of those specialties? Would you rather play around more in medical school and risk getting lower marks and board scores, etc. which might later help you get into a good residency? These are all things that are different from each person's perspective, and which make it hard for us to answer your question in a way that meets your needs.

I think a lot of people come here with similar questions to you - is medicine going to be too hard? Should I do it or not? People on SDN can give perspective to help you out, but in the end it requires a LOT of introspection. Take some time to think about how much you love what you've seen on medicine, get an (accurate) idea of the kinds of sacrifices required, and weigh whether the benefits of medicine outweigh its drawbacks for you personally.

The light at the end of the tunnel is 4th year, which is basically a giant vacation after matching.
But what if I want to do extra rotations to learn stuff in like, the ICU bro?

I'm actually that much of a masochist, but I think I might hold back and do some derm and ophtho or something instead... We'll see when it gets here.

I hear so many people saying that they threw their life away by going to medical school, sacrificing the best years of their life with their nose in the books. Is it really like that?? Is there no time to enjoy your 20's, to date, to have fun, while you are in med school? Lifestyle is important to me, and if the seven-year med school + residency process is that much of a sacrifice to your sleep, relationships, and well-being, is it really worth it? I just feel like I am constantly trying to tell myself that the things I read online about medical school are skewed out of proportion, and that it is possible to be happy and have a life in med school. But can someone here shed some more light on this and tell me what it's really like? How similar is it to undergrad at an ivy?

@nailossel A few things...
1. The throwing away your 20s thing is a joke. I'd feel like I was throwing away my 20s if I wasn't in medical school. It's only wasted if you aren't doing what you love. (I also partied/socialized a ton in college so my perception might be a little biased).
2. If you did well in undergrad science courses, you won't feel stressed out in med school. The people I know that are stressed out are usually the ones who didn't do so hot in undergrad. MCAT is a pretty good predictor from what I've seen. The amount of time you will require to do well is tremendously variable.
3. Everyone studies all the time, but you get used to it. Make some friends - find a study group if you get lonely, and relish in each other's misery. Seriously, I study all day every day and am having the time of my life.
4. With that said, you'll have plenty of time to goof off if you want to, you'll just have to plan for it which is something you might not be familiar doing. You know you're in med school when you feel guilty for watching a 20 minute episode on Netflix.
5. Plenty of people date in my class - it's extremely convenient if you date another med student because you both understand each other's lifestyle.

It's going to be stressful and hard work, don't let anyone downplay it. You will have some free time and be able to do a fair amount of social things (at least during early med school), but nothing like what some of us did in college.

But whenever someone is focused on "losing their twenties" I always worry that they maybe should put off med school. You will absolutely not be having the same life in med school and residency as you might in a less intense path. You will need to find a balance and sacrifice a lot of time to studying and training on this path that your friends living in the 9-5 M-F world really won't. But by the same token you'll probably do a ton of cool things in medicine your friends outside of medicine won't ever get to do, so imho its really them who are losing their twenties.

As I keep saying, the key to succeeding in medicine is very much about having the right attitude and perspective. It's not so much about "helping people", an abstract concept premeds throw around because they apparently think doctors are supposed to say this, it's about being thrilled to be on a path where you often get to do cool things, see cool things, know cool things that nobody outside this career ever will. It's hard for me to look at some poor sod living his twenties embarking on a less taxing career but having more time to go out, drink, see a movie etc as being at any real advantage. But you can always start down this road later if that seems more a priority right now.