Is Medical School "Worth It" for Nontrads? extra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three said:
so i am sitting here and i am strongly contemplating giving up, waving the white flag of surrender and moving on.
In all seriousness, you should give it up. I know you think you want to be a doctor but I assure you that this mother****er is not worth the time and emotional capital you are investing in it. I know this now and I would never, ever, do it again if I had known nine years ago what I know now. Sure, it can be a good job and it has it's rewarding moments but the frustrations, overwork, and annoyances of residency are, I repeat, not worth the effort.

weldon7 said:
The PA route isn't a panacea, but I think it can easily fulfill your dream of patient care w/o as much potential for family hardship.

Oh man. Just my personal opinion but if I wasn't a physician, this mother****er would so not be worth it and if I hadn't been accepted to medical school, in no way would I have considered any other medical career. When I hear phrases like "fulfill your dream of patient care" I cringe, although I know what you mean.

As far as medicine goes, if you're not a physician, it's just a job. Hell, being a physician is mostly just a job and, as I have said, not really worth all of the emotional capital people invest in it. Is this clear? What I mean is that people go through seven to ten years of training in this mother****er for two reasons, one being the pay and the other being the "intangibles." No intangibles and I'd rather be an engineer, a priest, a lawyer, a plumber, an electrician, a college professor, a Naval Officer, or any one of many other respectable career, especially if the pay is going to blow.

...The worse thing a person can possibly experience is life with regret..

I used to think that but, vis-a-vis medicine anyway, looking back if I had been rejected or thrown my application in the trash like I should have done I would have gotten over it. Medicine is a great job and I generally like it well enough but, and I will say this one last time as a caution to all of you older non-traditional applicants, it is not worth the emotional capital.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator: