Is Mid year worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish Midyear were in non-lame cities.

Las Vegas...meh, douchebag central, it's lame.
Orlando...obese trash tourist and chain restaurant capital of the world, lame.
NOLA...okay it's not lame, just really really dirty, like "oh did I get my Hep B shot?"
Anaheim...lame unless you like Disneyland and not being near anything cool. Also, there's a reason they call it "Anacrime."

I vote.... Seattle, Denver, Chicago, and Las Vegas as the regular rotating cities. Substitute Denver for NOLA on alternating years. All in favor? Any amendments?

Members don't see this ad.

NOLA...okay it's not lame, just really really dirty, like "oh did I get my Hep B shot?"
Anaheim...lame unless you like Disneyland and not being near anything cool. Also, there's a reason they call it "Anacrime."

I vote.... Seattle, Denver, Chicago, and Las Vegas as the regular rotating cities. Substitute Denver for NOLA on alternating years. All in favor? Any amendments?

Why no Northeast cities? NYC or Atlantic City should be regular cities. NYC would be crazy expensive in terms of hotel costs though since the only place big enough to hold the conference would be Jacobs Javits Center and that's like in the heart of Manhattan.

I thought it was like a law that the Midyear cities have to be warm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chicago is no fun in December...honeslty, not worth traveling to if it isn't warm enough to walk outside. Early December is unpredictable...plenty of Midyears were spent stuck in the airports in Chicago.

Ask yourself how stupid you are for recommending NYC for a national meeting in December for 24,000 people.

Ask yourself how stupid you are for recommending NYC for a national meeting in December for 24,000 people.

Why would NYC be a stupid recommendation? It's pretty easy to get around NYC. You either take a cab, or you take the subway. (I don't wanna hear no **** about the subway being a confusing system. It's a simple ****ing map.) Hotels all over the place. Airport is in close proximity to main event and hotels.

I hated New Orleans since my hotel in the French Quarter was so far away from the convention center, and the airport was REALLY far away.

Too cold. All 3 airports suck. Too expensive.
If Midyear in NYC was a good idea it would've happened.

Like it or not Las Vegas is the best city for a major conference for convenience and cost. NYC is not. If you feel strong about it do a cost analysis and share it with ashp. Otherwise quit your bitching if you've never arranged anything major before in your life.

Seattle Denver and Chicago in December? Not sure.if serious.

Annual ASHP in June is in those cities including SF.

Too cold. All 3 airports suck. Too expensive.
If Midyear in NYC was a good idea it would've happened.

Like it or not Las Vegas is the best city for a major conference for convenience and cost. NYC is not. If you feel strong about it do a cost analysis and share it with ashp. Otherwise quit your bitching if you've never arranged anything major before in your life.

Why is too cold a problem? That's the same garbage argument the NFL gives about Super Bowl location.

If I had to walk around in a suit all day, I'd rather it be 20 degrees outside than 70-90 and be sweating all over the place.

Why is too cold a problem? That's the same garbage argument the NFL gives about Super Bowl location.

If I had to walk around in a suit all day, I'd rather it be 20 degrees outside than 70-90 and be sweating all over the place.
Imagine the money to be made on a coat check...

Members don't see this ad :)
Midyear was amazing - I really liked the NYC programs. I was suprised not by the slutwear but by how unkempt and dirty and how little effort some people put into dressing. Seriously the biggest turn off. Luckily almost every NYC program had well dressed polished elegant residents not the homely unkempt type.

I don't. And midyear will never be in NYC.
Accept it or so be it.

Only students and some residents have to be in suits. I was kicking around in khakis and a dress shirt, no tie.

Midyear was amazing - I really liked the NYC programs. I was suprised not by the slutwear but by how unkempt and dirty and how little effort some people put into dressing. Seriously the biggest turn off. Luckily almost every NYC program had well dressed polished elegant residents not the homely unkempt type.

Who cares. You're the one without a job clamoring for a residency/position. If Johnny Q from XYZ program wants to look like Mountain Man Jim, you're still on the other side of the table.

Chicago is no fun in December...honeslty, not worth traveling to if it isn't warm enough to walk outside. Early December is unpredictable...plenty of Midyears were spent stuck in the airports in Chicago.

Sorry I just love Chicago and miss my deep dish pizza. My friend just sent one to me overnight FedEx the other day from Giordano's.

Reactions: 1 user
Atlantic City is a ****hole? And New Orleans and Vegas aren't?

Hell yes AC is a **** hole...NOLA is just dirty, but the food's good. Vegas is douchebag central, clean on the inside, and has lots of cheap asian food open at all hours.

So I'm pretty in love with NYU and NY presbetyrian - both kind of remind me of UCSF of East Coast. I also like the Manhattan locations given that I'll be living either in the LES or UES.

So I'm pretty in love with NYU and NY presbetyrian - both kind of remind me of UCSF of East Coast. I also like the Manhattan locations given that I'll be living either in the LES or UES.

I interviewed with NYPresby for a job...

IM intimately aware of clinical pharmacy program at NYU in LES.

Downtown Orlando isn't lame.
:thumbup:

As somebody who has been living here for 15 years......yeah it gets boring after a while. Would not mind relocating but at the same time its a good place to raise a family.

IM intimately aware of clinical pharmacy program at NYU in LES.

would you like to give me some pointers what they look for in strong applicants ?

I heard that place sucks especially for residents.

They actually all made a good impression on me - all four current residents are staying in for PGY2 with early comitt, so I think that's a great sign. Have you been to the NY program booths - have I seen you around there at Midyear ?

They actually all made a good impression on me - all four current residents are staying in for PGY2 with early comitt, so I think that's a great sign. Have you been to the NY program booths - have I seen you around there at Midyear ?

yeah I had a star drawn near their programs name b/c the residents there made a good impression on me too... but im a long way from ny, maybe sparda knows sth i don't, plz elaborate lol

Nah I wasn't at midyear, couldn't use my paid time off since I'm still on new-hire probation.

yeah I had a star drawn near their programs name b/c the residents there made a good impression on me too... but im a long way from ny, maybe sparda knows sth i don't, plz elaborate lol

I haven't seen the recent residents, but in the past few years I always heard negative things about working there as an intern and resident. Intern since you have to work weekends and you have to work some night shifts (makes no sense as an intern). I heard that they really overwork their residents into burning out as well as people usually not matching there and whoever joins usually joins in during the scramble.

Nah I wasn't at midyear, couldn't use my paid time off since I'm still on new-hire probation.

I haven't seen the recent residents, but in the past few years I always heard negative things about working there as an intern and resident. Intern since you have to work weekends and you have to work some night shifts (makes no sense as an intern). I heard that they really overwork their residents into burning out as well as people usually not matching there and whoever joins usually joins in during the scramble.

Yep. Heard that too

Yeah but I was SHOCKED when I heard the following:

You don't have 6 day a week rotations at any of those hospitals ! Seriously, my dear hospital is all about 6 days a week rotations and working 12-14 hour days AS A STUDENT, I think I easily averaged 70+ hours on most services.

On the weekends you are on pager call with your preceptor and are there essentially yourself handling the service. In fact once on the internal medicine, they made me work 10 days in the row without a single day off. Many times I had to come in on the 7th day to finish let's say writing the discharge notes from the late discharges I did a night prior and was just too exhausted to work on.

You have to do a sign out on the weekends too which itself takes forever if you are covering a large complicated service - like ID consult for let's say 25 patients on general and transplant.

Plus, you ROUND WITH THE MEDICAL TEAM BY YOURSELF, aside from ICU. I'm so used to being thrown with the wolves I can't even begin to imagine how nice it must be to round with the preceptor on rounds. Most NY places said you round with the preceptor.

Seriously ?! Seriously !? After my dear hospital, most of the NY residencies sounded like a sweet delicious treat to me. Being a resident at any of those places in comparison to my slave mill experience did not sound bad at all.

Last edited:
Ive only heard horror stories about pgy1 residency program at presby. Im not sure about the current residents or maybe they've changed the program this year. My friends have told me that sometimes they felt the preceptor was trying to get them in trouble or purposely "set them up." I can't elaborate on that statement because I don't know the full story. I heard that atleast 1 resident drops or doesn't pass also.
I heard NYP is a great place for PGY2, just not PGY1

NYU recently became accredited and I do not know much about the program except one of my friends who did a rotation there said they all seemed pretentious. :shrug:

Yeah but I was SHOCKED when I heard the following:

You don't have 6 day a week rotations at any of those hospitals ! Seriously, my dear hospital is all about 6 days a week rotations and working 12-14 hour days AS A STUDENT, I think I easily averaged 70+ hours on most services.

On the weekends you are on pager call with your preceptor and are there essentially yourself handling the service. In fact once on the internal medicine, they made me work 10 days in the row without a single day off. Many times I had to come in on the 7th day to finish let's say writing the discharge notes from the late discharges I did a night prior and was just too exhausted to work on.

You have to do a sign out on the weekends too which itself takes forever if you are covering a large complicated service - like ID consult for let's say 25 patients on general and transplant.

Plus, you ROUND WITH THE MEDICAL TEAM BY YOURSELF, aside from ICU. I'm so used to being thrown with the wolves I can't even begin to imagine how nice it must be to round with the preceptor on rounds. Most NY places said you round with the preceptor.

Seriously ?! Seriously !? After my dear hospital, most of the NY residencies sounded like a sweet delicious treat to me. Being a resident at any of those places in comparison to my slave mill experience did not sound bad at all.

Is this NYC preby?!

Ive only heard horror stories about pgy1 residency program at presby. Im not sure about the current residents or maybe they've changed the program this year. My friends have told me that sometimes they felt the preceptor was trying to get them in trouble or purposely "set them up." I can't elaborate on that statement because I don't know the full story. I heard that atleast 1 resident drops or doesn't pass also.
I heard NYP is a great place for PGY2, just not PGY1

NYU recently became accredited and I do not know much about the program except one of my friends who did a rotation there said they all seemed pretentious. :shrug:

Jesus maybe I won't apply to that hospital =/ I'm looking at a couple NYC hospitals, any others I should avoid? lol St. Lukes seems like a good program, but also ALOT of work lol

to be fair it sounds like you went to UCSF so it makes sense employers were willing to hire you with no residency...students from other schools might have a more difficult time
I know this is a super old response, but no, I am NOT from UCSF. I went to a "boutique" school...had only connections, my grades were average at best. It was the interpersonal relationships that carried me. Its how you present yourself, I think. Nonetheless, the powers that be will continue to try to propagate that you have to be perfect and do everything they say. There is a difference between being what your potential employer 1) likes, 2) needs and 3) wants. I always try to be #1 and I'm most successful when I just be myself.