Is minority status a factor in clinical psychology PhD admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiaoma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming an applicant has adequate GPAs (e.g., 3.70+), acceptable GREs (e.g., 1350+), and some research experience (e.g., 2~3 publications), to what extent do highly competitive clinical psychology Ph.D. programs consider minority status during the admissions process? By "highly competitive" I mean schools like Harvard, Berkeley, Columbia, UCLA, UPenn, etc. By "minority" I mean underrepresented minority status, such as African American, Mexican-American, Native American.
Are there any graduate students or recent graduates who have previously worked on an admissions committee who could speak to this question from personal experience? Thank you for your time. I look forward to your response.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This was geared toward undergraduate admissions, but the precise same concept is what affirmative action and the role of minority status in grad admissions is all about:

http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/diversity-or-merit

I enjoyed that blog. As a minority in grad school I shan't say that I hate affirmative action (especially with Ph.D programs to apply for later this year:D), but at the end of the day I don't want a school to accept me just to be their token. Neither I nor the school would have a great time of it in such a case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll leave the URM discussion for the political forum, but I will say that being male will not help, even though there are more women than men in programs. Years ago I asked a high-level APA official about possible scholarships for men (since we were in the minority by gender), and they just laughed. :rolleyes:

I'll leave the URM discussion for the political forum, but I will say ...

Yes. I agree. I am not interested in a discussion related to whether minority status SHOULD be a factor in graduate admissions. I hope this thread does not digress into a political debate. My question was whether URM status IS (or is not) a factor in clinical psychology PhD admissions at highly competitive programs? And if so, to what extent?

Yes. I agree. I am not interested in a discussion related to whether minority status SHOULD be a factor in graduate admissions. I hope this thread does not digress into a political debate. My question was whether URM status IS (or is not) a factor in clinical psychology PhD admissions at highly competitive programs? And if so, to what extent?

I would say that it is A factor but not a very big factor at that. I believe what some places look for is a diversity in upbringing/experience and minority status may not necessarily guarantee that.

As for your concern regarding "highly competitive" programs, I would say that research fit is the biggest factor more so than your standard measurement benchmarks like GPA/GRE/# of pubs which may help you gain an interview but not necessarily get an offer.

I would say that it is A factor but not a very big factor at that. I believe what some places look for is a diversity in upbringing/experience and minority status may not necessarily guarantee that.

As for your concern regarding "highly competitive" programs, I would say that research fit is the biggest factor more so than your standard measurement benchmarks like GPA/GRE/# of pubs which may help you gain an interview but not necessarily get an offer.

It depends on the program to an extent. I think most places these days, all else being equal, will take a minority candidate over a white (and/or male in the case of certain positions) candidate. Part of it depends on the focus of the faculty as well. For example, at some graduate programs, there is a larger emphasis on diversity and research on minority and gay/lesbian populations. If a faculty member does research in the these areas, there is a high liklihood that they would take a minority candidate. It isn't written in stone, but it could be a factor contributing to "fit" depending on the faculty member.

Why are you so sure?

It depends on the department and who you want to work with (e.g., cultural issues).

I'd say yeah because a lot of departments have minority and gay scholarships.