Quantcast

Is MSAR requirements exaggerated to increase # of schools applicants apply too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyler59

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have heard rumors that is the case (of course they are called rumors for a reason). But I also visited a school this past march that said their average MCAT was a 509, and now according to the MSAR, their median is a 513. I understand median and average are different obviously, but that sounds like an extremely heavy deviation. It is pretty discouraging hahaha. Anyone care to educate me on this? please and thank you!

penguinsfan71

Reaction score
MSAR reports the median accepted MCAT score, it's possible the school told you the average score of the matriculants, not acceptees. I highly doubt that MSAR straight up lies about the scores.

Reactions: 2 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to add:

The MSAR data on GPA and MCAT are compiled from AMCAS primary applications after schools submit their final report in October of matriculation year and is updated the following Spring. It uses the GPA that calculated from AMCAS application as well as the most recent MCAT taken by the applicant/matriculant. The current MSAR (2020) has data from class of 2019 which submitted AMCAS Primary in 2018.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

dptemo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it is important to toggle b/w the accepted and matriculated stats on msar. They can differ.

Reactions: 2 users