IS MY ADVISOR TOO OPTIMISTIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you think I would be competitive at a top 10?

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 95.2%

• Total voters

whatTREEisTHAT?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So my advisor thinks that my research experiences and such will make me competitive for some of the top medical schools, but i'm not so sure. I think he underestimates the level of competition and emphasis on stats. What do you think?

UG: Cum: 3.3 Sci: 3.3 (last 70 hrs: 3.75) (non-top 25 state school)
SMP: 3.88
MCAT: 32 10,11,11
Research: 2 publications, patent pending for medical device, NSF Fellowship
Leadership: Consultant for state legislature for STEM and Healthcare Funding, Training of Post-Doc
Other: Caucasian, first-gen, lots of volunteering/shadowing in under served communities.

Members don't see this ad.

I think he may be onto something but I wouldn't have the advice go over the head. You should choose a couple top 30 school to apply (5 atmost) and keep your list conservative for mid to low tier schools. Apply to some DO schools nearby as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I think he may be onto something but I wouldn't have the advice go over the head. You should choose a couple top 30 school to apply (5 atmost) and keep your list conservative for mid to low tier schools. Apply to some DO schools nearby as well.
Thanks! I appreciate your advice. I'm a Texas resident so I'll be applying to TCOM for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. 5 higher ranked schools, 5 "safe" schools, and 15+ within range schools. I don't have any research and am banking on other elements of my app to balance that out. You seem pretty well rounded. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. 5 higher ranked schools, 5 "safe" schools, and 15+ within range schools. I don't have any research and am banking on other elements of my app to balance that out. You seem pretty well rounded. Best of luck.
Thanks!

Best bet will be with TX schools (except Baylor) and any DO school.
Thank you. Should I not bother with the application fee waivers from FAP then? I applied a few years ago and got secondaries from UCSD and UCSF, but that was before my SMP program and the patent. I just don't want to waste my time focusing on applications for schools I stand a 0% chance at. I appreciate your help!

Secondaries tend to be a tax on the hopelessly optimistic.

Thank you. Should I not bother with the application fee waivers from FAP then? I applied a few years ago and got secondaries from UCSD and UCSF, but that was before my SMP program and the patent. I just don't want to waste my time focusing on applications for schools I stand a 0% chance at. I appreciate your help!