Is my application strong enough to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

difran04

Full Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently a junior transfer student from a community college, attending a University now.
I'm not sure how strong my application is....I'm planning on taking the MCAT in May this year.

I have 100hours at Hospice
100 hours at an elementary school- tutoring and grading papers, TA
29Hours at an orthopedic unit at my local hospital
15 hours as a baby cuddler ---(should have 30 by end of semester)
30 Hours with Habitat for Humanity (should have atleast 50 by end of semester)
200 Hours as a pharmacy tech

In highschool I was CNA certified and EKG certified, not sure if I should mention that on my application since I didn't use my certifications after clinicals and all....

21 Hours shadowing a surgeon
trying to shadow at least one other physician

Recently started research in a genetics lab -34hours (10 hours a week)


I worked during my first two years of undergrad (when I was at a community college)
Drug store, YMCA summer camp leader, Publix

My transfer GPA was a 3.76 and my current GPA after one semester at University is a 3.33.... If i calculate my Gpa's together it seems that my overall GPA is a 3.65

Working on getting a letters of rec from my orgo teacher, biochem professor, and psych professor, the surgeon I shadowed.
 
You're doing okay, just keep your grades up and do well on the MCAT. If you are trying to apply this cycle you better get letters of rec now, like this semester/term and take the MCAT. The cycle opens in May and submit in June, being late hurts your chances. Also, don't underestimate that MCAT, it's way harder than any final!
 
You're doing okay, just keep your grades up and do well on the MCAT. If you are trying to apply this cycle you better get letters of rec now, like this semester/term and take the MCAT. The cycle opens in May and submit in June, being late hurts your chances. Also, don't underestimate that MCAT, it's way harder than any final!

Yea I was considering taking a gap year, it seems like studying for biochem and studying for the MCAT is impossible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea I was considering taking a gap year, it seems like studying for biochem and studying for the MCAT is impossible.

Yeah, do what you got to do. If you can be ready to submit with letters of rec and a decent MCAT score (probably over 508) by June then you're golden. Otherwise yeah you might want a gap year.
 
Pretty good for a junior. Try to pick up another EC (something very interesting) and get a lot of hours in it (300+ hours)
 
I'd say you're EC's are strong, but make sure you take Biochem before the MCAT, and try to raise your gpa above a 3.7, that would open some doors for as to where you can apply, assuming your MCAT is good.
 
Yeah, do what you got to do. If you can be ready to submit with letters of rec and a decent MCAT score (probably over 508) by June then you're golden. Otherwise yeah you might want a gap year.

Hard to stay motivated sometimes ahaha thanks
 
I'd say you're EC's are strong, but make sure you take Biochem before the MCAT, and try to raise your gpa above a 3.7, that would open some doors for as to where you can apply, assuming your MCAT is good.
Yea im currently taking biochem and ill be finished with it when i take the MCAT in may hopefully