Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is my course load "competitive?"

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DentalRose, Aug 3, 2015.

1. DentalRose

2+ Year Member

Hey all,

I saw a similar post about this topic.. But I couldn't make any definitive choices. I'm a post-bac student who has dropped everything to pursue a DDS/DMD. Last year I worked part time as a personal trainer while taking physics 1/2 and bio 1/2 and got A's in both. I just took two five week chems and got A's in those as well. However, I know a full workload is a different story when getting a good grade... So I'm wondering now (that I have the opportunity to go full-time again) if my semester will be a reflection of me being able to handle a rigorous workload.

For the Fall, I am currently enrolled in cell biology (3), molecular biology (3), microbio with lab (4), and organic chem with lab (4). This gives me 14 credits overall.

I see these as "tough classes" (personally :dead:), but I'm wondering if I should add more to boost my chances of getting accepted into school. My options would be to take another 3 credit science course, take a 2-3 credit general elective, or take a 1-2 credit course like "relaxation methods" or "exercise techniques."

A little about me: I've brought up my cumulative GPA from a 2.99 to a 3.18, and if all goes well fall and spring I am anticipating a 3.35. My science GPA is roughly a 3.5-3.6. I have not taken the DAT yet, I'll be postponing that until Spring so I can get at least 3/4 of organic chem under my belt. My backup plan if I'm not accepted first cycle is to boost my cumulative GPA to 3.4, retake the DAT if necessary, and do research while boosting volunteer/shadowing hours.

Starting this Fall semester, though, I'd like opinions from everyone!!!! :bag:

#1 DentalRose, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. whitepapertree

You're thinking about this too much. Take the 1-2 credit course like relaxation or exercise along with it.

DentalRose likes this.
  4. DentalRose

2+ Year Member

Thanks for the calming advice.. But this is a genuine concern :hungover:

I would LOVE nothing more than to increase my workload with a course focused on relaxation. However, don't you think an admissions committee might see this and think I was just coasting during a year that should be spent showing my capabilities?

These are the questions I ask myself, I swear!!! :confused::p

5. whitepapertree

Look at the classes you are taking, look away, then look back. You're credit load here is not an issue.

DentalRose likes this.
  6. DentalRose

2+ Year Member

Thank you whitepapertree :rofl:
    It does feel good to see that idea reaffirmed by you!

Any other suggestions / people with similar experiences???

7. OrphanageCaretaker

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm not gonna lie I think it will be a competitive course load, maybe a bit too much, when you did physics 1/2 and biology 1/2 they are continuations of one another and are easy to follow, they build upon each other, with your course load now, just be wary that most of the classes do not build upon each other. Taking those all together might hurt you imo, I would switch out the micro for something else, that way you can focus more on orgo and the other sciences. Switch it out for an easier science, because the last thing you want to do is overload on credits and you can't manage them and you end up not receiving the grades you want.

DentalRose likes this.
  8. Greyangel6

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Since everyone else has given you a solid answer, I figured I'd just be the devil's advocate/troll. 14 isn't the highest you can go. you can take up to 17 without needing an overide. challenge yourself to see if you can handle dental school's curriculum.

Haha that's what I did my last semester of college and let me tell you, I felt stupid for doing it because I could've done much better for my graduating GPA and for my pride. I'm not saying people are stupid for doing this, just me personally. Just pick a schedule that allows you good GPA, time for ECs and that is good for your sanity. You will have plenty of time for challenges in dental school haha.

DentalRose likes this.
  9. DentalRose

2+ Year Member

I'm definitely feeling more comfortable leaving it as is after hearing more opinions... Given that I can only be full time for one year I think I'll keep these courses but will most likely not add any (unless I become swayed by more opinions).

My only option for an easier science would be kinesiology or something similar. With one year at a 4-year university micro is definitely a course I want to have under my belt, and next semester I'm now contemplating keeping my workload at 12 credits with Organic chem 2, physiology, and general biochem. If anything I'd add anatomy to that, as well, if I find this semester to be doable. I'm actually more swayed now to take less next semester just so I can prep harder for the DAT.

Edit: I just read that last comment (greyangel's) and I was DEFINITELY thinking of using this time to challenge myself to prep for dental school. Upon further thought... You're absolutely right - maybe that challenge itself SHOULD be dental school :laugh:

I'll see what the minimum required courses would be to get a 3.3 GPA and I'll probably base the rest off of that... Thanks for all your help, everyone. Of course - I'm still open to more and all opinions.

10. DentalRose

2+ Year Member

Whoa?? :confused::confused:

11. DetermineDent

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Sorry to ask a question on your thread.. But I was wondering the same thing about my next semester.
    I'm taking:
    Biochem (3 credits)
    Embryology (5 credits)
    Physics 2 (4)
    Total of 12 credits

I could add... Physiology, sociology (prereq for U of Mich), or immunology.
    Do you think I should add any ? Or no? I honestly just don't know how hard biochem is.. :/
    oh and I don't want to take sociology if U of Michigan isn't interested in me...

12. OrphanageCaretaker

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Honestly, I think your schedule is just right, I've heard biochem isn't that hard, it's basically cell biology on steroids aka more pathways, proteins, enzymes, etc.

DetermineDent likes this.
  13. Hafizdr

Pre-Dental
    Honestly I wouldnt do it. I think you can improve your GPA a lot if you score A+ in every class, which will look much more impressive. Taking more than three sciences is not a good idea. especially if you are working or doing anything else. take an easy online elective.

OrphanageCaretaker likes this.
  14. postpitadh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think you should leave it as is. You can'treally cram the night before an exam for ochem like you can for other classes haha

15. tooth knockn

tooth knockn Treat others how you want to be treated
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Nice challenge... Those courses overlap very well....

If you really want to add a course to show off .... Add nutrition !

Good luck....

And that schedule looks pretty cool... Definitely not easy..... But looks great on paper .

16. andreadds

andreadds DDS

@DetermineDent IDK if nutrition would really help you "show" off lol

17. tooth knockn

tooth knockn Treat others how you want to be treated
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

It's a little something to raise the BCP, ;-)

18. DentalDoge

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good GPA > Heavy Course load