Is my course/work-load for this summer too heavy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steroids

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
School (5 courses):
1) Vector Calc, 2) Linear Algebra, 3) Anatomy & Physiology, 4) Health Care Administration, 5) Hygiene Practical Course (we meet only 4 times for a "practical," where we visit a site, and do reports on our experience)

Work (20 h/wk): 10 h/wk in cancer lab, 10 h/wk in health research setting

Other: Study for PCAT, work on journal manuscript

Members don't see this ad.

School (5 courses):
1) Vector Calc, 2) Linear Algebra, 3) Anatomy & Physiology, 4) Health Care Administration, 5) Hygiene Practical Course (we meet only 4 times for a "practical," where we visit a site, and do reports on our experience)

Yes, but it is possible.

Well, that's hard for anyone to say. Only you know what you can handle. However, for most people that would be a pretty hard schedule. Those first three classes are all pretty tough ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah that will be a little rough... most people only take one or two summer classes just to catch up or get ahead a bit... I don't think I could personally be focused enough to do that in the summer but that doesn't mean you can't do it... I thinks its possible to do well just make sure you know that the work load is going to be pretty big... Make sure you are ready for the challenge so you don't end up settling for poor grades... good luck!

I would say that schedule is impossible. I don't even know how you could fit that many classes into 24 hour days! I took A&P over the summer and that summer it was the only class I took. We met 4 hours a day 4 days a week and it was very very hard!!! we had it split up anatomy semester A and physiology semester B. The anatomy was the worst part so if your class has it combined maybe it will be easier. For example, our bone practical was the 2nd week of class. But where will you fit in those other classes? I did work during the summer but I don't think I worked very much.

3) Anatomy & Physiologyanatomy is very time consuming!!!!
not recommend you to do this to yourself.

School (5 courses):

Yikes! :eek: Last fall, I took Biochem and Physiology, worked 30 hours/week doing research and studied for the PCAT and I thought that was a lot! I also have a family/house to deal with. That's a pretty hefty load especially in the summer!

A+P needs some love if you want an A then don't play around.

I took A+P, Micro, Stats and Advance Public Speaking while working over the summer and got B's and C+. When I reapplied to pharmacy school I felt like a jackass. I still got in but it would have been a hell of a lot easier to just pace myself.

Thanks for the reality check- A&P sounds brutal. I'm trying to get a head start on Calc 3 and Linear Algebra- I'm hoping this helps. I might drop A&P early on (before it will appear on my transcript), depending on how it goes. I'm scared. I'm thinking Courses 4) and 5) should be fairly manageable.

School (5 courses):

I dont think its bad bc last Fall i took Cellbio, Anatomy, Microbio, Evol., Econ. Bot., and 2 labs All were upper division classes PLUS i worked almost 30 hours :eek: plus i took part in some school clubs.

this semester im taking about 17 credits or so all Upper level and working just a little less.

Your work schedule might be too much u should cut the 20 hours in cancer research and health research bc u might end up hurting ur grades. I mean u can pass with the schedule now but i doubt pull off a good gpa with so much on ur plate.

I dont think its bad bc last Fall i took Cellbio, Anatomy, Microbio, Evol., Econ. Bot., and 2 labs All were upper division classes PLUS i worked almost 30 hours :eek: plus i took part in some school clubs.

this semester im taking about 17 credits or so all Upper level and working just a little less.

Your work schedule might be too much u should cut the 20 hours in cancer research and health research bc u might end up hurting ur grades. I mean u can pass with the schedule now but i doubt pull off a good gpa with so much on ur plate.

This person meant for summer, not fall. Nothing is impossible, but personally I think that you have quite a load of classes in your hand even without working and studying for your PCAT. Unless if you break the class load into 2 summer sessions: 2 classes each, for example.

i would say it is heavy.
but its really up to u; u know if u can handle or not.
challenges are all good tho
good luck:)

Let us know how it goes if you do go ahead with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really need linear algebra? It alone will be very time consuming if your instructor makes it a proof-heavy course.

If you can manage straight A's while you are at it, then go for it. IMHO, there is no point in taking so many classes if you end up getting all B's (you might actually hurt your gpa). The linear algebra and anatomy/physio class are killer classes, so be weary about those.

I pulled off physio, calc.1 and speech all in a 5 week period last summer (basically in class 10 hours a day for 5 weeks), along with 32 hours of work, and I literally was only sleeping maybe 4 hours a night and a slave to my textbooks. Luckily I pulled off straight A's, but man I was burned out for a few weeks. Was it worth it, yes. Would I do it again, no.

Calc 3 and Linear Algebra go from May 12 to Aug 19 (they both meet 3 times per week)
A&P is from May 5 to July 31 (lecture meets 2x/wk, lab meets 2x/wk)
Health Care Admin is from May 5 to June 24 (meets 2x/wk)
Hygiene Course is from May 5-July 31 (meets only 5 times total - the rest is reports submitted via e-mail)

Does this make it better? I may still drop A&P, based on your advice. I'm working on reducing my work hours too.

I think it's a lot. Especially if you're working too. I say keep the semesters tougher and lighten up on yourself a little bit for summer.

I wish I had given myself more time to study for the PCAT. I worked a lot and didn't reserve as much time for it as I probably should have.

School (5 courses):

Like other people have already mentioned...it depends on the person.

If you're used to a hectic schedule like this and you can manage to ace most of those classes; go right ahead.

Experience tells me, most people (including myself) wouldn't want a summer schedule like yours.

Its a risky gamble. If you can pull it off with mostly As and a high PCAT score, youll look like a really smart person. On the other hand, if you perform poorly in one or two of those classes, you'll look like a poor decision maker or worse yet, a student unable to handle rigorous pharmacy curriculum.

Calc 3 and Linear Algebra go from May 12 to Aug 19 (they both meet 3 times per week)
A&P is from May 5 to July 31 (lecture meets 2x/wk, lab meets 2x/wk)
Health Care Admin is from May 5 to June 24 (meets 2x/wk)
Hygiene Course is from May 5-July 31 (meets only 5 times total - the rest is reports submitted via e-mail)

Does this make it better? I may still drop A&P, based on your advice. I'm working on reducing my work hours too.

Summer classes tend to carry a more concentrated work load whcih means it takes longer to prepare and do well with them since they are shorter classes. I would look at it closely and be able to tell what you can handle. No one can else can tell you that, only you can decide that. Just be prepared and think it through!

I took a few insane course loads also trying to "catch up" since I felt like I was behind. It wasn't worth it and I ended up adding an extra year to my graduation plan.

Wow, that schedule is INSANE...best of luck. Sucks to miss out on summer! :(

simple logic says, "if you have to ask... the answer is probably 'YES'. "

why are you taking linear algebra and vector calc? are you an engineering major? I took those classes in HS and i know that no one in their rightful mind would ever take those courses "for fun."

it CAN be done..but do you really want to?? I have done it in the past, and looking back I would have gotten a lot more out of each class if I hadn't taken so many at once (you have a choice over the summer.)

TIME MANAGEMENT!!! thats the only way to get it done

I need the math classes for my alternate career to Pharm (still not 100% sure about what career I want to choose). I've replaced A&P with a non-science course that meets once per week (instead of 4 times per week for A&P) so this will lighten my load. You're right- if I had to ask, then it is probably too difficult. I've had harder in the past but have paid the price with grades, so it is time to wisen up. Thanks all.