Is my gpa trend/turn around impactful enough to apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Savvy1610

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non trad preparing to (hopefully) apply this cycle, but as I am filling out my application I am starting to have serious doubts while adding in poor grades. I had a difficult time during my freshman year of college in 2013, but returned to school in 2017 and have really turned things around. My life in general has become more stable and I really want to go forward with applying..

My Trend:

I took post secondary courses full time in high school and received my AA/AS
GPA 3.32

I then enrolled in a 4 year institution directly out of high school. We could not afford room and board, so I had to enroll in strictly online courses. Simultaneously I moved out of my mothers house, and worked full time while paying my own bills and helping with hers. My father also went to prison for sex crimes against children during this time and, to say the least, it was a really tumultuous time in my life. I didn't know where to turn, and couldn't recognize that going to school was not the best thing for me at the time. I failed to reach out for help and consequentially failed out of my first semester. I then returned 2 years later after my fathers release, and received only a 2.0 in repeats of the courses.. The following semester he went back to prison and I withdrew, realizing how unstable my life was and sick of repeating the same cycle.

Freshman GPA 1.6

Finally I realized in 2017 it was time to turn my life around and I returned to community college for a year.
Sophomore GPA 4.0

At my 4 year institution I took strictly science courses (85 credits over 5 semesters, including all pre reqs) and received a bachelors in biology and chemistry, and graduated summa cum laude.
Junior GPA 3.9+
Senior GPA 3.9+

Final cGPA ~3.34 AMCAS sGPA ~3.7+
*For AACOMAS my sGPA is much lower ~3.4 because some of the freshman courses are considered science

I have 4 years ~115+ credits at ~3.95 since returning to college. Do you think my reinvention is impactful enough to apply this cycle? I mean strictly gpa wise, should I be concerned moving forward? I have an MCAT pending/clinical experience/research etc but I don't mean to turn this into WAMC I'm just haunted by my previous gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

Though MCAT score and GPA have become overemphasized stratifying metrics at very competitive programs, their fundamental purpose is to inform your "academic readiness" for medical school. This means that at the majority of programs (which are increasingly trying to be holistic in applicant assessment) the question is not just "what is this person's scores relative to others," it includes "has this person demonstrated the ability to cope with doctoral-level coursework."

In your case, first recognize that you're not at all in the 'danger zone' in terms of stratification. You're easily above a 3, and I have had multiple clients in the 3.3-3.5 range get several interviews which have lead to 1+ admissions. Moreover, you have a clear record of improvement and very, very good reasons for your weak semesters. Taken together, my impression is that a reasonable admissions agent would read this aspect of your application as "academically ready".

However, note that the MCAT score will also be pertinent. Having a decent performance will go even further in reassuring committees that you can in fact pass courses/exams. Aim as high as you can, but don't adopt unnecessary anxiety by comparing yourself to others overmuch or listening to people who propose that you "absolutely need score XYZ".

Finally, ensure that you communicate your experience well in your personal statement and secondary essays. Many secondary essay prompts explicitly ask about hardships/challenges. In responding to those, focus on how you managed those situations and how you grew consequently. This will help reviewers understand the context of your candidacy more fully and will likely convey & substantiate some of the best things about you.