You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is my pediatrician less likely to shadow me?
Started by Wiesal
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Why don't you wait until tomorrow and find out?
In response to your title, I think it's fairly unlikely that a paediatrician would shadow you, unless you have a really remarkable life that he simply has to witness
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why don't you wait until tomorrow and find out?
You're right; just ignore this thread as I cringe :/In response to your title, I think it's fairly unlikely that a paediatrician would shadow you, unless you have a really remarkable life that he simply has to witness
You're right; just ignore this thread as I cringe :/
Just poking fun, everyone makes typos, good luck with the shadowing!
I've never really met a shadow friendly pediatrician. you know patients and parents being privacy minded and all
I've shadowed in two specialties who treated completely pediatric patients (so specialty -> pediatric fellowship), but I never asked a pediatrician if I could shadow them. I know that there are pediatricians who are shadow-friendly (I have friends who shadowed them), but I can see how, as a whole, they might be less willing to do so, given the scope of their practice.
From what I have seen, I have found straight peds to be fairly boring. It is one well child visit after another, the kid is almost always healthy and only needs a Tdap, and they are mostly just silent and the parents are the ones doing the talking.
From what I have seen, I have found straight peds to be fairly boring. It is one well child visit after another, the kid is almost always healthy and only needs a Tdap, and they are mostly just silent and the parents are the ones doing the talking.
That's outpatient peds. Inpatient is likely much different.
That's outpatient peds. Inpatient is likely much different.
yeah the most shadow friendly docs I've met are ed docs and hospitalists
Yah I am sure, but I assumed OP was talking about the former. I haven't seen any in-patient peds or specialty peds, however, I have also heard that you really do most of the interaction with the parents as well. Which I think a lot of people don't realize when they visualize peds.That's outpatient peds. Inpatient is likely much different.
D
deleted393595
.
In all honesty, pediatrics isn't my interest, but I'm just trying to work on my application early. At least I know what to expect more or less.From what I have seen, I have found straight peds to be fairly boring. It is one well child visit after another, the kid is almost always healthy and only needs a Tdap, and they are mostly just silent and the parents are the ones doing the talking.
In all honesty, pediatrics isn't my interest, but I'm just trying to work on my application early. At least I know what to expect more or less.
Not trying to dissuade your interest (it's great to shadow early to see if medicine is a good career fit) but since your in high school, I'm not sure you can count it as shadowing hours for your app down the road ... I could be wrong though!
There are pediatricians that would be happy to let you shadow them. I don't think that your pediatrician would, though. You'd be hitting too close to home.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone assumes I don't have my GED :/Not trying to dissuade your interest (it's great to shadow early to see if medicine is a good career fit) but since your in high school, I'm not sure you can count it as shadowing hours for your app down the road ... I could be wrong though!
Everyone assumes I don't have my GED :/
Oh my bad 🙁 You said 16 so yeah I assumed HS ... my mistake! 🙂
It wouldn't hurt to try!There are pediatricians that would be happy to let you shadow them. I don't think that your pediatrician would, though. You'd be hitting too close to home.
It wouldn't hurt to try!
If you were going to answer your own question, why bother asking?
I'd like to have an idea of what would happen exactly by others who have had a similar experience. Not to mention that I enjoy the discussion. That's what this forum is for.If you were going to answer your own question, why bother asking?
I'd like to have an idea of what would happen exactly by others who have had a similar experience. Not to mention that I enjoy the discussion. That's what this forum is for.
False, this forum is for attacking anyone who asks a question and stomping the innocence out of enthusiastic pre-meds.
I'd like to have an idea of what would happen exactly by others who have had a similar experience. Not to mention that I enjoy the discussion. That's what this forum is for.
Like I said, it isn't that pediatricians wouldn't let you shadow them. But most physicians, in my experience, are averse to letting their own patients shadow them, regardless of your career goals. How comfortable would you feel, as a patient, if someone you knew was shadowing your doctor and reading through your medical chart?
I'm completely comfortable, yet I know I may have to step out of the room at times.Like I said, it isn't that pediatricians wouldn't let you shadow them. But most physicians, in my experience, are averse to letting their own patients shadow them, regardless of your career goals. How comfortable would you feel, as a patient, if someone you knew was shadowing your doctor and reading through your medical chart?
I'm completely comfortable, yet I know I may have to step out of the room at times.
All the best to you. Good luck.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 34
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K