Is my pediatrician less likely to shadow me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 16 years old and would like to shadow my pediatrician; I'm asking tomorrow. Is it likely that he'll say no due to my age?

Members don't see this ad.

In response to your title, I think it's fairly unlikely that a paediatrician would shadow you, unless you have a really remarkable life that he simply has to witness

Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never really met a shadow friendly pediatrician. you know patients and parents being privacy minded and all

I've never really met a shadow friendly pediatrician. you know patients and parents being privacy minded and all

I've shadowed in two specialties who treated completely pediatric patients (so specialty -> pediatric fellowship), but I never asked a pediatrician if I could shadow them. I know that there are pediatricians who are shadow-friendly (I have friends who shadowed them), but I can see how, as a whole, they might be less willing to do so, given the scope of their practice.

From what I have seen, I have found straight peds to be fairly boring. It is one well child visit after another, the kid is almost always healthy and only needs a Tdap, and they are mostly just silent and the parents are the ones doing the talking.

Reactions: 2 users
From what I have seen, I have found straight peds to be fairly boring. It is one well child visit after another, the kid is almost always healthy and only needs a Tdap, and they are mostly just silent and the parents are the ones doing the talking.

That's outpatient peds. Inpatient is likely much different.

That's outpatient peds. Inpatient is likely much different.
Yah I am sure, but I assumed OP was talking about the former. I haven't seen any in-patient peds or specialty peds, however, I have also heard that you really do most of the interaction with the parents as well. Which I think a lot of people don't realize when they visualize peds.

Reactions: 1 user
In all honesty, pediatrics isn't my interest, but I'm just trying to work on my application early. At least I know what to expect more or less.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty, pediatrics isn't my interest, but I'm just trying to work on my application early. At least I know what to expect more or less.

Not trying to dissuade your interest (it's great to shadow early to see if medicine is a good career fit) but since your in high school, I'm not sure you can count it as shadowing hours for your app down the road ... I could be wrong though!

There are pediatricians that would be happy to let you shadow them. I don't think that your pediatrician would, though. You'd be hitting too close to home.

Not trying to dissuade your interest (it's great to shadow early to see if medicine is a good career fit) but since your in high school, I'm not sure you can count it as shadowing hours for your app down the road ... I could be wrong though!
Everyone assumes I don't have my GED :/

There are pediatricians that would be happy to let you shadow them. I don't think that your pediatrician would, though. You'd be hitting too close to home.
It wouldn't hurt to try!

If you were going to answer your own question, why bother asking?
I'd like to have an idea of what would happen exactly by others who have had a similar experience. Not to mention that I enjoy the discussion. That's what this forum is for.

I'd like to have an idea of what would happen exactly by others who have had a similar experience. Not to mention that I enjoy the discussion. That's what this forum is for.

False, this forum is for attacking anyone who asks a question and stomping the innocence out of enthusiastic pre-meds.

Reactions: 2 users

Like I said, it isn't that pediatricians wouldn't let you shadow them. But most physicians, in my experience, are averse to letting their own patients shadow them, regardless of your career goals. How comfortable would you feel, as a patient, if someone you knew was shadowing your doctor and reading through your medical chart?

Like I said, it isn't that pediatricians wouldn't let you shadow them. But most physicians, in my experience, are averse to letting their own patients shadow them, regardless of your career goals. How comfortable would you feel, as a patient, if someone you knew was shadowing your doctor and reading through your medical chart?
I'm completely comfortable, yet I know I may have to step out of the room at times.