Is neurology call like IM call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

junlujlu

Is neurology call as bad as IM call. Do people have to stay post-call. I know it varies with programs, but what is the general consensus from having explored many programs

Members don't see this ad.

yes someone please respond. i'd like to know too.

the oncall schedule in neurology residency is quite benign compared to IM.

neurology pt is very specific. problem is very logically. you always can call IM to take care other non-neurological issue. you may need to stay to 5pm postcall/ but you are not as tired as Im resident.

kws

Members don't see this ad :)
kws888 said:
the oncall schedule in neurology residency is quite benign compared to IM.
kws

Depends on the program. In a lot of programs, call is a solo call. You may be handling cross coverage on the floor and doing consults in the floor/er. Some programs have 1 resident cover multiple hospitals.

kws888 said:
. you may need to stay to 5pm postcall/ but you are not as tired as Im resident.

kws
Most programs have you leave before noon the next day. There is a max of 30 consecutive hours throughout the country...ACGME / Bell comission ya know.

Right, some places it's like nightfloat where you do xcover and consults, and other places you've got an intern taking call w/ you to do the H and Ps and x cover on non-neuro issues I guess.

nycdoc22 said:
In a lot of programs, call is a solo call.

This fact alone makes neuro call much more intense than IM call. As a subi on IM, I often got the chance to get some sleep. But on Neuro (and working with the only Neurologist on call for an entire hospital) I only slept for 3hrs on average (although 6hrs was the most amount of sleep and 2hrs was the least).

It really depends on the program and how they handle call.