Is Northwestern a top school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been trying to do some research on schools and was wondering if anyone knows if Northwestern is a good school? Are the students happy there? Do they do well with match and stuff like that? hehe thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't think that it is the best school currently. However, there is a good chance it may become that in the coming years. For now, we can only acknowledge its potential. *Sips tea from expensive China teacup*

GuyLaroche said:
We don't think that it is the best school currently. However, there is a good chance it may become that in the coming years. For now, we can only acknowledge its potential. *Sips tea from expensive China teacup*

What's with the tea today, GuyLaroche?

I think of Northwestern as being at "the bottom of the top", but I think it's on its way up. It has a young, hungry ambitious feel to it.

beep said:
What's with the tea today, GuyLaroche?

That's Lord GuyLaroche to you. I decided to knight myself to take my arrogance to the next level. We aristocrats sip tea all day reminiscing about the good old days of sugarcane plantations. *Sips*

Pinkertinkle said:
Nope, and not the best in the midwest either.
Just curious. What do you think is the best in the midwest: Wash U, Pritzker, CCLCM? Since i am not from that area, my only guide is US News and I would love to get another opinion from someone familiar with that location. Thanks

wash u is far and away the best in the midwest--It is also one of the best in the world.

FloridaMadame said:
Just curious. What do you think is the best in the midwest: Wash U, Pritzker, CCLCM? Since i am not from that area, my only guide is US News and I would love to get another opinion from someone familiar with that location. Thanks

FloridaMadame said:
On a side note, you can't include CCLCM in this discussion, it won't even graduate its first class until 2009! CCLCM must defer to Case for the time being.

FloridaMadame said:

1 Wash U
2 U Mich
3a U Chicago
3b Mayo
3c Northwestern
6 Case Western(CCLCM)

After that you have some solid state schools - UWisc, UIOWA, UM - Twin Cities, Ohio State, etc. This is just my opinion though.

beep said:
I think of Northwestern as being at "the bottom of the top", but I think it's on its way up. It has a young, hungry ambitious feel to it.

Totally agree. As a student here, and as someone who was choosing between Duke, Michigan and Northwestern last year when making my decision on where to attend in the Fall, I would say that we are "at the bottom of the top, and working our way up," but moreso, the location and curriculum of the school and the friendliness, activity and general vibe of the city are absolutely at the VERY top in my opinion, and why I am very happy with the decision I made to come here because... LIFE IS GOOD. As far as prestige...

Put it this way:

1. Northwestern Med was ranked 32 just a few years ago. Now we are ranked 20.

2. A guy by the name of Feinberg died and donated something like $100 million to the school, and the school was renamed in 2002 and they are wasting no time spending his money to increase the prestige of the institution.

3. The hospital was just completed in 1998 and is by all accounts amazing.

4. Another hospital is currently under construction, the 2nd largest women's hospital in the country.

5. Northwestern bought the land previously owned by the VA Lakeside, and has plans to break ground in 2007 for yet ANOTHER major hospital.

6. The Lurie Medical Research building, which is brand new and will be completed in April, more than doubles the size of the research space of the school (along with new classrooms, lecture halls, etc.).

7. The current Prentice Women's Hospital located one half-block east of the Lurie Medical Research building will be torn down in 2007 to make way for another new research building.

8. The class of 2008 (my class) has the most competitive stats of any class so far. Our average GPA is 3.70 and MCAT 11.1 which would put it in a Top 15 and almost Top 10 category.

9. Feinberg's applications were up 17 percent this year to almost 7000, while US medical school applications were up only 2.5 percent. http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/02/18/42159c4587896

All in all, there is absolutely no question in my mind this school is aggressively moving in a good direction, and fast. GuyLaroche said it best in another thread--the administration is pissed they are not ranked higher, and they are going after it aggressively. And they are not doing it by fudging any numbers--they are building world class facilities and are getting a ton of help with the increasing popularity of the school and rising number of apps. As for me, to be honest, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank God that I'm not in Durham or Ann Arbor and am in a world-class city with, ahem, tons of hot, single women walking around who don't go to my school and are actually my age (25). :D There is seriously so much to do here it isn't even worth discussing, I could talk for hours about why being a student here and in this location is an amazing experience. And people here are FRIENDLY--way more than when I was living out east, and this plain and simply makes life better. And we all have so much fun and school is not stressful at all because of our curriculum--we have so much time to study and learn on our own here it is sick.

Members don't see this ad :)
ctwickman said:
Totally agree. As a student here, and as someone who was choosing between Duke, Michigan and Northwestern last year when making my decision on where to attend in the Fall, I would say that we are "at the bottom of the top, and working our way up," but moreso, the location and curriculum of the school and the friendliness, activity and general vibe of the city are absolutely at the VERY top in my opinion, and is why I am very happy on the decision I made to come here because... LIFE IS GOOD. As far as prestige...

Put it this way:

1. Northwestern Med was ranked 32 just a few years ago. Now we are ranked 20.

2. A guy by the name of Feinberg died and donated something like $100 million to the school, and the school was renamed in 2002 and they are wasting no time spending his money to increase the prestige of the institution.

3. The hospital was just completed in 1998 and is by all accounts amazing.

4. Another hospital is currently under construction, the 2nd largest women's hospital in the country.

5. Northwestern bought the land previously owned by the VA Lakeside, and has plans to break ground in 2007 for yet ANOTHER major hospital.

6. The Lurie Medical Research building, which is brand new and will be completed in April, more than doubles the size of the research space of the school (along with new classrooms, lecture halls, etc.).

7. The current Prentice Women's Hospital located one half-block east of the Lurie Medical Research building will be torn down in 2007 to make way for another new research building.

8. The class of 2008 (my class) has the most competitive stats of any class so far. Our average GPA is 3.70 and MCAT 11.1 which would put it in a Top 15 and almost Top 10 category.

9. Feinberg's applications were up 17 percent this year to almost 7000, while US medical school applications were up only 2.5 percent. http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/02/18/42159c4587896

All in all, there is absolutely no question in my mind this school is aggressively moving in a good direction, and fast. GuyLaroche said it best in another thread--the administration is pissed they are not ranked higher, and they are going after it aggressively. And they are not doing it by fudging any numbers--they are building world class facilities and are getting a ton of help with the increasing popularity of the school and rising number of apps. As for me, to be honest, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank God that I'm not in Durham or Ann Arbor and am in a world-class city with, ahem, tons of hot, single women walking around who don't go to my school and are actually my age (25). :D There is seriously so much to do here it isn't even worth discussing, I could talk for hours about why being a student here and in this location is an amazing experience. And people here are FRIENDLY--way more than when I was living out east, and this plain and simply makes life better. And we all have so much fun and school is not stressful at all because of our curriculum--we have so much time to study and learn on our own here it is sick.
Thank you so much for all the info. Just one more thing: I am interested in knowing why you opted out of Duke (#4) for a lower ranked school.I know NU is still very good, but it is not #4. Was quality of life in the city a main concern. What would you have done if your choice was Washu U or Northwestern. Would the ranking have played on your mind then?

The problem with using school expansion as a gauge for measuring the future trajectory of a school is that all schools are constantly improving. For example, Case Western had the most competitive class ever with a 11.3 avg MCAT for my entering class. Case added the cleveland clinic, one of the top medical centers in the nation as an affiliate hospital for clerkships. Case also just complete the Wolstein research building which brought 320,000 sq feet of new research space. Case is also commencing the construction of a new region wide research complex with Cleveland Clinic, the VA, and Case hospitals which will add 500,000 sq feet of new research space starting 2008. Bottom line is that the midwest region is chock full of excellent research universities and you cant lose going to any of them, Northwestern included.

FloridaMadame said:
Thank you so much for all the info. Just one more thing: I am interested in knowing why you opted out of Duke (#4) for a lower ranked school.I know NU is still very good, but it is not #4. Was quality of life in the city a main concern. What would you have done if your choice was Washu U or Northwestern. Would the ranking have played on your mind then?

Well, Duke was #3 last year when I was making my decision. :) And UChicago was #4 just a decade ago or so or something like that when I was looking at the archives, so these "rankings" are pretty darn fluid. And look at Northwestern, just a few years ago it was ranked 32. Now 20. And this list is not representative of the education or your experience one single bit--will US News tell you what your education will be like, how much you will learn, and how happy you will be? Nope. In reality, unless you live your life totally on the internet, it's going to be about real life and location. Durham vs. Ann Arbor vs. Chicago and how these places fit you, and where you can grow your network best.

I went to Chapel Hill so I had some ties and friends to the Triangle so I considered Durham even though it is a total dump and completely rural with nothing to do, Ann Arbor is a great college town and near a major city but I couldn't bring myself to relive my life in a college town bubble and catch myself hitting on an 18 year old with a fake ID, and Chicago, well, Chicago is an incredible world class city with limitless entertainment and limitless things for my friends and I to do, which is very important IMO because you need to have a life outside of medical school. And I wouldn't mind living here and growing my network here for a long time, so the choice became an easy one. I feel I really did the right thing--when making these decisions, you have to be honest with yourself and confront whether you are going to follow a magazine's list or the real realities about life in each location. Plus, I witnessed my sister first hand going to one of the lowest ranked medical schools in the country, not graduating in the top of her class, and making $190/hr+bonuses as a doctor, and to be quite honest I don't want or need to be more successful than that.

So if you are really concerned with "rankings" you have to consider how life in Chicago ranks versus life in Durham, for instance. Like I said before, my life here ranks far above what I feel my life in Michigan or Durham would be, and that's what's important. And the curriculum. Northwestern has the more progressive curriculum of the three which allows you the most free time, probably why we do so well on the boards.

downtown_skyview_l.jpg

Chicago.jpg

ctwickman said:
... In reality, unless you live your life totally on the internet, it's going to be about real life and location. Durham vs. Ann Arbor vs. Chicago.

Or you could base it on type of grants and aid offered, and let me tell you Northwestern sucks big time when it comes to money.

If I were to pick just based on those pictures, I think I'd be scared of choking to death in the Chicago smog...there's got to be more pleasant pictures out there, cause I know I thought it looked a little nicer than that. :D

To be honest I don't see smog in that picture. Clouds, yes. Maybe some humidity/fogginess coming in off the lake. Maybe some film grain, but the entire downtown is clear as day from miles and miles away.

But I can't help but see the irony in someone from Houston being so concerned about choking on smog. Maybe you are kidding though. If not, I can tell you that Chicago on its worst day of the year never looks anything close to stuff like in the below picture.... I'm sure you recognize the skyline. ;)

hazy_downtown_view.jpg

yeah - don't you recognize clouds? Chicago is not in a bowl, it's on a flat plain next to a big Lake. No smog that I've ever seen. Dreary, wet, cold February's - yes. Smog, no.

abeanatrice said:
If I were to pick just based on those pictures, I think I'd be scared of choking to death in the Chicago smog...there's got to be more pleasant pictures out there, cause I know I thought it looked a little nicer than that. :D
I'm a Chicago native and hopeful NU student. Downtown chicago is one of the most beutiful and interesting places that one could imagine to have as a setting for their education. :oops:

If you any of you guys are curious about Chicago and would like to take a look at more pictures, you absolutely HAVE to check out this web site: http://www.philipmalenfant.com

Some of the pictures on this guy's site are absolutely sick and you will seriously get the full tour, in all four seasons no less...

I've mainly been only in downtown Chicago and some of the surrounding neighborhoods, but from what I've seen, the place is really clean, which is a plus for a city. The location for the medical school is sweet too.

Its funny when you are applying how you obsess about prestige. I did the same thing last year.

Trust me once you are in med school prestige flies out the window as you get into the daily grind of school. Go to a good school where you will be happy.
You will do better if you are happier, comfortable, surrounded by good friends and have outlets to destress. Remember it is ultimately your actions that will decide your future.

as a side note, I don't go to Northwestern but I remember seeing their match list and it was really pretty good.