Is NOVA highly regarded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering applying here and literally the only thing turning me away is the newness of the program and the Name. Is it well known?

Members don't see this ad.

Taco:

My dental school is still kind of known as a newer dental school even though we opened our doors back in 1997. If you ask dentists, then most of them probably won't know us, but if you ask dental applicants, then most of them will know us.

Although many applicants know that Nova Dental exists, 90% of them don't really know anything about Nova Dental aside from being new and it's in Florida. I've met many interviewees that have told me, they've always thought that Nova is some mysterious dental school in Florida and they just wanted to check it out even though they have been accepted somewhere else already.

To their surprise, they came to the interview not expecting anything and goes away with a pleasant surprise in how wonderful my school is. I've heard things like "Nova went from my last on the list to first choice on my list!" after they visited for their interviews.

On the opposite side of the token, many applicants don't care about Nova Dental. It's too new, not enough history and not enough name prestige are some of the reasons why applicants don't committ to Nova. Either way, the shorter answer to your question is, it depends who your audiences are. Overall, Nova Dental is still one of the newer kids on the block!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I do not think so at all in regards to your chances of getting an associateship outside of FL. I believe most dentists who are in the market to look for an associate, all they want to see is that you have the skills, you've passed the appropriate licensure board in that region and you've earned your DMD/DDS degree. A lot of the time is solely based on your personality during your interview to land you that associateship position!

Again, there's always the other side of the token, some dentists would only hire an associate from their own alma mater. If the dentist graduated from Penn, then he only wants Penn graduates! This is pretty rare though (I think).

Just before you ask this, I might as well touch up on it a little. Being at an unknown dental school also will not hurt you in specializing and/or in the matching process IF YOU GOT YOUR **** TOGETHER. Got to have the numbers (the triple threat)!

Good info about Nova, Yah-E. Nova does have an exciting dental program.

How many patients have you seen so far ? and with what kind of procedure ?

Good info about Nova, Yah-E. Nova does have an exciting dental program.

How many patients have you seen so far ? and with what kind of procedure ?
Yah-E, it'd be excellent to hear your experiences with Nova!