Is now the right time to take the DAT? Am I making a mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

risktaker05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently joined this forum. So, I am a pre-dental student, but I won't be applying to dental school until May-June of this coming year. I am going to be a 4th year student at UCSD, but I am planning on staying at UCSD for a 5th year to pursue a minor in business. So, I have signed up to take the DAT on September 19th, which is coming up soon. I already rescheduled the test twice, once moving it to a later date and then to an earlier date. I took the princeton review course for the DAT from july-august and have all of their materials. I have used their materials to study for the test. I also bought the DAT destroyer and CRACK PAT software. I haven't started on the destoryer or the PAT software yet. I have taken one practice test and basically read all the materials provided to me by princeton review for biology, general chemistry, quant and PAT. I have also done the hw for all of them. I am halfway through the O-chem readings given to me by princeton review and should be done with all the hw and reading by the end of tomorrow. This gives me about 19 days to take a few more practice tests and review all the material. I haven't had a chance to actually "study and review". I have just been doing all the hw assigned to me by princeton. Is 19 days long enough to get through the PAT practice online tests, about 5 full length practice tests and the DAT destoryer book? Should I just take the test and see how I do or should I wait and try to be a lot more prepared for the test and take it after christmas break? Is there any sort of penalty to doing bad the first time around and doing a lot better the next time you take the test? Hope to get some good feed back. Thanks a lot guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from UCSD! If your planning on applying this cycle, I think you should plan on taking the test only once. Re-taking in December is going to be really late in the cycle and a lot of acceptances will be given out already. You could probably finish all the practice tests and the Destroyer in 19 days, but you should probably try to review everything at least once so everything is fresh in your mind. Don't take the test if your not ready, its better to postpone the test a little bit then to retake it in December.

I will not be applying till the end of this 09 school year. So that probably means I am in the next cycle. So you are basically saying that it's better to take the test once and do really well than to take it twice. Am I getting that right? I know you were under the impression that I am going to be in the upcoming cycle, but I am going to be a 4th yr this fall and dont plan to go to dental school till my 6th yr.